Red Meat?

Options

Replies

• doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    red meat is not healthy for u. animal protein is difficult for our bodies to break down and it is not meant for human consumption..

protein from plants and grains is what we should be consuming ,not animal sources

i suggest you read about the gerson miracle or watch the documentary forks over knives

its not some "hippy liberal mentalitiy" its true and science has proven humans are herbivores and we are not meant to eat animal products

but having red meat once in a while is ok if you're healthy in your normal everyday life... its ok to indulge sometimes i know i do !

SO so so full of nonsense. Humans have survived and thrived for millions of years eating plants AND animals. Please stop posting pseudo crap like this. Save us all the brain cells. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I have met many vegans - in fact I married an ex vegan.

Never have I heard one claim that veganism cures caner...until today.....
  • DSGandMe
    Options
    Top Blade Steak, also called Flat Iron Steak is my go-to for red meat it is fairly lean, incredibly tender, taste like a rib-eye, no kidding, and best of all is usually dirt cheap, for steak that is. Even cheaper, and more nutritious is Beef Heart when I can find it, amazing stuff, VERY tender, no organ meat taste, heart is a muscle so it taste like steak, and is ridiculously cheap,...I marinate slices and stir fry,...

I have to chase iron to keep my levels where they need to be,...it is important to eat a variety of foods so I only eat red meat a couple times a week,...I eat liver,..chicken and beef,...once a week,...not a favorite, but can't beat the iron,...also kale and lentils are high in iron so I include them,...and for snacks pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate cocoa are great sources of iron!

Good luck!
  • jessigoct17
    jessigoct17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    this is exactly why i never post topics on this website.. instead of being open minded everyone has to attack healthy living... LOL EATING VEGETABLES SINCE WHEN IS THAT HEALTHY THATS PROPAGANDA!!! everyone should maybe do there own research instead of believing what their general practitioner says or what the FDA claims is healhty and unhealthy

ive been into nutrition my entire life and i was a biochem & public health major in college..and MY OWN PERSONAL BELIEF is that a vegan lifestyle is the healthiest.. if you don't believe so or think its crazy thats fine! i'm not attacking people who eat meat , if that works for u eat all the steak you want
  • jessigoct17
    Options
    once in a while ill have a cheeseburger and fries and its amazing! cuz its a rare speical thing... of course anyone can die young but the most nutrient rich foods we can eat are plants.. so a person who consumes plants as the majority of their diet will most likely be healthier than some who consumes less plants and more processed foods

of course smoking & drinking play a factor and a bunch of other things! this is just my opinion no one has to agree its ok !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    this is exactly why i never post topics on this website.. instead of being open minded everyone has to attack healthy living... LOL EATING VEGETABLES SINCE WHEN IS THAT HEALTHY THATS PROPAGANDA!!! everyone should maybe do there own research instead of believing what their general practitioner says or what the FDA claims is healhty and unhealthy.
    Or that we have done our research and have correct information from actual clinical studies that state that red meat isn't the cause of cancer. Correlation yes, but are you going to tell me that NO VEGAN has ever gotten cancer?
    ive been into nutrition my entire life and i was a biochem & public health major in college..and MY OWN PERSONAL BELIEF is that a vegan lifestyle is the healthiest.. if you don't believe so or think its crazy thats fine! i'm not attacking people who eat meat , if that works for u eat all the steak you want
    When you state that red meat ISN'T HEALTHY, then you're indirectly insulting healthy people who do eat it. And if nutrition was your major, do you currently work in that field? I'm thinking no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    this is exactly why i never post topics on this website.. instead of being open minded everyone has to attack healthy living... LOL EATING VEGETABLES SINCE WHEN IS THAT HEALTHY THATS PROPAGANDA!!! everyone should maybe do there own research instead of believing what their general practitioner says or what the FDA claims is healhty and unhealthy

Backpedal much?!?! You made a definitive statement and then listed some crap 'resource' documentaries as your sources.
    i said vegan is the healthiest lifestyle..

I also never said that eating vegetables was unhealthy, and don't recall seeing anyone else say that either. I did say that eating meat in moderation is just fine, and it is. YOU said that being vegan (you know, a diet without meat) is the healthiest lifestyle.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    this is exactly why i never post topics on this website.. instead of being open minded everyone has to attack healthy living... LOL EATING VEGETABLES SINCE WHEN IS THAT HEALTHY THATS PROPAGANDA!!! everyone should maybe do there own research instead of believing what their general practitioner says or what the FDA claims is healhty and unhealthy.
    Or that we have done our research and have correct information from actual clinical studies that state that red meat isn't the cause of cancer. Correlation yes, but are you going to tell me that NO VEGAN has ever gotten cancer?
    When you state that red meat ISN'T HEALTHY, then you're indirectly insulting healthy people who do eat it. And if nutrition was your major, do you currently work in that field? I'm thinking no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^^
  • jessigoct17
    Options
    again you're making things up... when did is state nutrition was my major? i majored in biochemistry & public health to become a physician's assistant but i switched careers to a different job in the healthy industry...

no eating red meat is not healthy, does not mean people who eat it are unhealthy because you can eat meat and still eat other plants and nutritious food

if you want a clear example of what im talking about look at Robin Quivers. She was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and maintained a vegan diet, as she had been for over 10 years. She also received chemo and some radiation and stated that HER OWN DOCTORS told her that her vegan diet is the likely reason she survived cancer and had no negative side effects from the chemotherapy(besides losing her hair)

so there you go a woman who was a vegan for over a decade who had no adverse effects to chemotherapy, which is pretty much unheard of,

she survived when the odds were she would die during surgery, or be stuck with a colostomy bag for the rest of her life
  • jessigoct17
    Options
    yet again more people are attacking & insulting me when i just said that if you enjoy eating meat and you have a healthy lifestyle thats fine but keep going keep picking sentences out of paragraphs i write and analyzing them and telling me im wrong and im citing crap resources i dont care, all i said is i believe a vegan diet is the healthiest if you dont believe thats true good for you why do i care what you think none of you are me or live in my body.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of red meat, regardless of possible health issues, but I eat small (2-3 oz.) portions of lean beef in many dishes. I choose grass-fed beef when possible because whatever went into the animal's body is going into yours; regardless of ethics, that should motivate people who care about health to make better choices. I've recently increased my lean beef intake because my mother is often tested with low iron and sometimes I have symptoms, so I've been tracking my iron. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas, as I'm close to my iron goal daily. Some great dishes for smaller portions of lean beef are stir-frys, chilis, and sauces on whole grain pasta; these meals can all be packed with veggies, too!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    again you're making things up... when did is state nutrition was my major? i majored in biochemistry & public health to become a physician's assistant but i switched careers to a different job in the healthy industry...

no eating red meat is not healthy, does not mean people who eat it are unhealthy because you can eat meat and still eat other plants and nutritious food

if you want a clear example of what im talking about look at Robin Quivers. She was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and maintained a vegan diet, as she had been for over 10 years. She also received chemo and some radiation and stated that HER OWN DOCTORS told her that her vegan diet is the likely reason she survived cancer and had no negative side effects from the chemotherapy(besides losing her hair)

so there you go a woman who was a vegan for over a decade who had no adverse effects to chemotherapy, which is pretty much unheard of,

she survived when the odds were she would die during surgery, or be stuck with a colostomy bag for the rest of her life

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

Here is a good article from harvard that discusses fats, which includes meat. Also, one person's cancer story doesn't mean her food choice changed her odds or results. Many people in my family have had cancer and survived after chemo and still eat meat. Also, I frequently eat meat and my cholesterol has done nothing but improve. Lets try to look at things holistically; diet, exercise, lifestyle, vaccinations and genetics. All will have an effect on your cholesterol and health. It's not a one or all thing. You can be just as healthy eating meat as you are as a vegan. In fact, the more things are studied, the more it leads to genetics. Perfect example is is one I just had. Recently, I went to the doctor after I got my cholesterol done (free at work). I had 3 years worth of data to show my doctor. After 2 minutes, he looks at my and ask if I drink or smoke and if I exercise. I don't drink, smoke and exercise 60 minutes a day. He looked at me and stated, "crap, your dad's LDL's are high due to genetics". Both my Mom and Dad have naturally higher LDL's (or bad cholesterol). So while my numbers are still in a health range, my genetics after my cholesterol.

Personally, I think you can be healthy regardless of diet choice.
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love a good steak!!
    But now, I eat red meat every other week.
    It's so true about grass fed beef! Whole Foods had a special one month last year and I purchased three steaks.
    The taste was like WOW!
    I also purchased a package of 8 grass fed burgers.
    If you eat it once a week or twice a month within your daily calorie range, things should be fine.
    I will admit out of the three steaks, two were 8oz and the other was 1lb. I walked seven miles to balance that steak!
    Not all of us will be vegans. I like my meat!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options

Belief is not science, and you do not science. No one has been able to show causation, ever.......this only tells me that you are a true believer allowing propaganda to run your though process.......it happens a lot.
  • jessigoct17
    Options
    why would i just "believe" vegan is the healthiest way to live... all the studying, reading, and observing ive done has lead me to this conclusion. and telling me it is not based on science is hysterical to me.. you're talking to a biochemistry major & future ultrasound technician..you're telling me i don't know science?

and for the 10th time i will say that it is my opinion if you believe otherwise thats totally fine everyone has their own path to healthy living that they have to discover on their own.

and its not just one person... another example is Kris Carr, you can look at her website or watch her documentary about her filming her experience going through the diagnose of stage 4 uncurable cancer at 31 years old

she became a vegan and has been living with the cancer for 10 years and has surpassed all her "dates by which she should be dead"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACtCqcRrIyc
  • neanderthin
    Options
    why would i just "believe" vegan is the healthiest way to live... all the studying, reading, and observing ive done has lead me to this conclusion. and telling me it is not based on science is hysterical to me.. you're talking to a biochemistry major & future ultrasound technician..you're telling me i don't know science?

and for the 10th time i will say that it is my opinion if you believe otherwise thats totally fine everyone has their own path to healthy living that they have to discover on their own.

and its not just one person... another example is Kris Carr, you can look at her website or watch her documentary about her filming her experience going through the diagnose of stage 4 uncurable cancer at 31 years old

she became a vegan and has been living with the cancer for 10 years and has surpassed all her "dates by which she should be dead"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACtCqcRrIyc
    You tube and documentaries, really......What you've done is created a scenario that is basically founded on biased information that supports what you believe, real science doesn't work that way. If I found reason (science) that red meat caused ill health I wouldn't eat it, but I haven't found any.....if you have research that shows causation I for one would be very interested. Seriously. Also from my research pescetarian is healthier with vegetarian next, then vegan as far as comparing diets. In reality the healthiest societies on the planet (blue zone....google it if you like) consume animal protein.......not many if any society are vegan........it's not easy to thrive on a vegan diet, and humans need to thrive without a list of instructions. I have nothing against a vegan diet or any diet, it just doesn't make much sense to me, but that is just my opinion.....personally I find the banter from vegans similar to paleo, with both cheer leading their health benefit. Some of the most destructive foods on the planet are vegan when over consumed........ highly refined carbs, sugar and transfats come to mind.
  • jessigoct17
    Options
    the youtube link i posted was an interview of Kris Carr, if you don't like youtube you can go to her website or read her books and read about her own personal journey becoming vegan and survivng her terminal stage 4 cancer

idk wat other proof you need for my point honestly i mean this is a woman who shouldve been dead within months of her diagnosis and has been living for 10 years now and she attributes it to her vegan lifestyle and not just vegan food but all the products she uses too
  • Arj1016
    Options
    Read the China Study. Perhaps you already have jessigoct17. Good stuff. I try to follow a plant based diet 90 % of the time.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    the youtube link i posted was an interview of Kris Carr, if you don't like youtube you can go to her website or read her books and read about her own personal journey becoming vegan and survivng her terminal stage 4 cancer

idk wat other proof you need for my point honestly i mean this is a woman who shouldve been dead within months of her diagnosis and has been living for 10 years now and she attributes it to her vegan lifestyle and not just vegan food but all the products she uses too
    lol.........nevermind. Good luck with your education and career.:wink:
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Every food, including vegetables of various type, has been implicated in one health problem or another. You can find a recommendation somewhere that tells you to cut every food out of your diet.

Some of it has to with humans as a whole and the biochemical processes our bodies use to absorb, translocate, store, and utilize nutrients from foods. All chemical reactions involve energy transfer between reactants and products, and many reactions have toxic by-products. That's why we have various systems in our body designed to clean up toxic compounds and eliminate waste. If we didn't, they would accumulate and make us sick.

Some of it might have to do with individual genetics.

Some of it has to do with food preparation. Grilling meat on charcoal well-done, for example, is dangerous because the highly carcinogenic compounds from the charcoal leach into the meat. Cooking on a gas grill or in an oven is safer.

Raw meat is also highly dangerous, especially now that resistant bacterial strains are being selected for by increasing (and sometimes improper) antibiotic use. Chicken is by far the most contaminated type, according to a recent article in consumer reports magazine.

But at the end of the day, we all have to make our own choices, and pick and choose what to eat.