Vegans

Options
Are there any other Vegans ? ... I went Vegan about a year ago ... wasn't always successful and was more flexitarian to use a word Rip Essyltyn (author / vegan ) uses to describe the transition that many take.

Just like to be able to share recipes / vegan experience / and encourage / be encouraged to keep with it.

Hope that there are several of us out there !!!

David

Replies

• arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 6 years, but I have so much respect for anyone able to keep up a vegan diet! That said, I do eat a lot of mostly vegan meals (a lot of the time there's a small amount of cheese, but that's it), so feel free to add me for inspiration.
  • babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Me :) I decided to stick to it or the new year an I started yesterday.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for a little less than a year, feel free to add me.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    veggie for three years- vegan and loving it for a couple months now. :)
  • srichardallen
    srichardallen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegan for a little over six months now and have seen great results. I lost 15-20 pounds in the first few months and have felt much more energetic and just happier in general.

I'm not going to lie, sometimes it is tough, especially as a college student on the go, but I look at it as a lifestyle change that not only benefits me but potentially hundreds of animals.

P.S. If you're looking for recipes: I've enjoyed Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She has some really great cookbooks and a website/blog site The Post Punk Kitchen (www.theppk.com) that has a ton of recipes as well.

:]
  • jypsyjulia
    jypsyjulia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking of starting a thread looking for fellow vegans. I am new to the lifestyle and hoping to make some friends on here with interests. Feel free to add me! :-)
  • KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Lifelong vegetarian. Occasional vegan. Chocolate gets me.

I've discovered plenty of vegan cheeses, so that's not a problem. Just a bite of milk chocolate every now and again.
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been a Vegetarian for 15 years now.
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I started a plant based diet in November 2012; I eat honey so I do not consider myself "vegan". I am slowly incorporating a vegan lifestyle. Feel free to add me!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Sort of.... I only eat fish and eggs no other animal products. Feel free to add.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. I'd like to eventually go vegan, but I don't have the willpower yet to give up cheese. =/

Check out the Happy Herbivores group. There's tons of vegans/vegetarians and recipes there: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
  • jaelus
    jaelus Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for over 10 years and was vegetarian for about 7 years before that.

Veganism is really a system of beliefs of which the diet is only a part. The diet, lifestyle, and behaviors then come naturally as an extension of those beliefs. So, there is a dietary aspect, but veganism is no more a diet than any prescribed way of eating that comes from a religion. For a vegan to revert to a non-vegan diet would require something akin to a loss of faith.

Edit: If anyone wants vegan diet tips I'd be happy to help.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Three year vegan and 10+ year vegetarian here! Feel free to check out my diary.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are 2 group forums: Happy Herbivores & Team Vegan. Lots of info, recipes & friendly people.
  • lilfairywren
    Options
    Vegan Chocolate is yummy, you should give it a try, there's one brand I know of is Sweet William, and Aldi sell beautiful Vegan chocolate bars individually wrapped but 5 slabs to a pack, just can't remember their name but they are beautiful, I remember one had pears in it, so devine...
  • lilfairywren
    Options
    I have hundreds of Vegan sites, just let me know...
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I was on a vegan diet for a year. I'm not anymore, but if you want to share recipes or whatever, that would be nice.
  • lilfairywren
    Options
    I have hundreds of Vegan sites David...let me know, and I can lead you in the right direction...:flowerforyou:
  • jen_mv
    jen_mv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since June (with just a few exceptions) and I'm recently vegan!
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    vegan! except for eggs and sushi once in a blue moon..

i can't recommend making your own almond milk enough... two ingredients and no weirdo thickeners. That's one of my biggest pet peeves with vegan food options are all the additives and substitute products. Embrace whole foods..!