What is working for you?

Options

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Thank you for some of your answers...to the 'simple' answers...really? Obviously reduce calories and move more! Maybe I should be a little more specific...like are you doing a certain type of workout ei bootcamp, DVDs...are you following a high protein diet or still eating a balanced diet but staying under calories...tdee? Tdee - 20%? How a you figuring out your calories?

Really, it is that simple. Which is a great thing!

Calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for fitness.
    You can maintain that calorie deficit eating whatever you like. A balanced diet is optimal from a nutritional standpoint, but there's absolutely no reason you can't have room in your normal diet for things like treats and "junk food". I haven't eliminated anything from my diet, and it's worked out fine.

Just log everything you eat/jdrink accurately and consistently, and find exercises that you like to do. :smile:
  • SarahSeemsSilly
    Options
    Green tea has been working wonders for me. I drink a cup before I go to work, and it also keeps me energized for those long server shifts. And I also have a cup after dinner. That and getting rid of all soda and most juices. I drink just water and green tea and I've started to tell a bit of a difference c:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Of course, the obvious answer is "eat less than you use"... But there are different methods.
    I have found that logging my foods the night before helps me to stay on track with eating.
    Pre logging exercise also helps me to stay accountable.

And due to MFP overestimating calorie burn, I only log 1/2-2/3 my exercise.

I eat high protein and try to choose healthy but have my fair share of sugary treats!

*edit to add- I weigh almost everything on my kitchen scale, esp. in the beginning. Now that I am almost to maintenance I skip the weighing of foods sometimes.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    I stopped eating fast food and drinking soda and gave up candy, cold turkey. I logged all my food and I just naturally water to put better food in my body, I got addicted to the stats. It's continued to work and now I pretty much cook all my own phone, trying things I would never even think of trying, love the changes I am seeing.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Eat clean, whole foods. That was most important for me. It all falls in line when you clean up what you put in your body. Best of luck momma!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for some of your answers...to the 'simple' answers...really? Obviously reduce calories and move more! Maybe I should be a little more specific...like are you doing a certain type of workout ei bootcamp, DVDs...are you following a high protein diet or still eating a balanced diet but staying under calories...tdee? Tdee - 20%? How a you figuring out your calories?

it really is that simple…

eat in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight…the exercise program does not matter from a deficit/weight loss perspective..

I will say if you are looking for a training program that one involving heavy lifts and compound movements would be very beneficial..

starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are great resources…
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I eat what I want and stay within my calories. I tend to go heavier on the protein, but that's because I've found having a decent amount of protein in every meal/snack keeps me feeling full. I have no scientific reasoning or research behind it, I've just found that it's what works for me through trial and error. If I go heavier on the carbs, I'll eat myself silly and then be hungry an hour later. I just follow the calories on MFP and log my exercise calorie burns from my HRM.

For exercise, I walk the dog every day for about 30 min, usually while pushing a >20lb child in a stroller. I go at a fast walk and some days I jog. I finished up T25 a few weeks ago and am doing P90X3 now. The workouts have no magic to them in terms of increasing weight loss that would prompt me to say "do this for results." They include a mixture of cardio and weights, and most importantly, they can be completed in 30 minutes or less. They help me burn more calories, I can do them at home, and I get to use weights. I'd rather be lifting heavy at the gym, but that ain't happening right now. I don't completely hate them and I do them every day, which is good because you don't want to dread your workout. My main goal right now is to lose weight and maintain muscle mass, I can work on sculpting and getting stronger later on when I don't look like a truck.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    What works for me is logging every single bite that goes into my mouth. Going over on my calories less than 2 days per month (and not by much). Trying not to go into the red on sodium, and being careful about how much I go into the red on fat and sugar (although I do, regularly, on both of those).

I still eat "crap" weekly, but I make it fit into my MFP set guidelines. And because of that, I eat far less of the junky foods.

I make swaps a lot. Like instead of a Snickers bar, I'll eat 1 T. Nutella or Marshmallow creme and a couple of almonds. Instead of getting the white mocha at Starbucks like I used to, I go to the local coffeehouse to gab with my best friend and get a cold brewed black coffee and a small delicious pastry...still 50% fewer calories than the white mocha. I thought I knew the roundabout calorie counts and nutritional info of the foods I ate...but MFP has taught me a lot more, which makes those swaps a lot easier (and satisfying).

I don't do a ton of exercise to be honest. I go for long brisk walks a few times a week. We walk to the grocery store or nearby errands. On weekends, I ride my bike or hike at the nature center but only weather permitting. My husband and I take long walks at the local mall when it's icy outside like right now. But I don't do any gym workouts and I don't lift weights (although I may in the future). I would rather walk 7 miles in the cold than do 30 minutes of Zumba with a bunch of shouty ladies and embarrassing music. But that's just me.

FWIW I lost 45 lb before I discovered MFP. It took me 4 years and was mostly through exercising regularly and taking stabs at what I hoped was a healthier diet. Since joining MFP on March 25 of last year I've lost 58 lb with relative ease. Knowing exactly what you consume and pinpointing your calorie goals is a very powerful tool. Best of luck!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What is working for me is following a low carb Atkins type way of eating. More protein, less refined carbs. I am eating mostly protein and small amounts of plant based carbs only, nothing processed at all. and no bread, potatoes, rice or sugars. It's working for me. I have to admit that I do get hungry in the evening, so I try to drink lots of water and when I need a snack I have Greek yogurt plain with a few frozen blueberries. I guess I have been doing a combination of Wheat Belly and Atkins, making it work for my tastes. Its tough, no denying that, because I still have cravings. You just have to find what works for you, oh, and I am on the treadmill every morning for 1/2 hour before work, and I think that jump starts my weight loss. Lots of water, I read that you should drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces. All the best!
    not to burst your bubble ..but it is the calorie deficit that low carb creates that makes you lose..not eating low carb..unless you have some unmentioned medical condition that would make you sensitive to carbs…
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Eat clean, whole foods.

this has nothing to do with weight loss..

eat what you want, just stay in a deficit.
  • BeautyDoll
    BeautyDoll Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Limiting sugar, flour, sweets… Not drinking calories (water, water, water)… Keeping track of what I eat by using MFP and staying connected and focused by logging in and being accountable to MFP buddies! You can do it!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Eating and drinking whatever I want provided I am staying within my calorie and macro targets.

Weight training

Light cardio.
  • oneday987
    oneday987 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 57 and tried a number of ways to lose weight (not a lot).

I started reading Diet Doctor (you can google this) (or here is the link http://www.dietdoctor.com/) and started reading about the low carbohydrate, high fat lifestyle. What a surprise! For me this really works. I have to give up carbs (pasta, potatoes, bread, etc), but everything else makes up for it.

Just read it and see whether you think you can use this as a means of losing weight. The thing I like about this, is that there is lot of help out there. People are not trying to sell books, tapes, videos, etc. Everyone is out there to teach you about how to cut down on your carb and sugar intake and how to give up on eating processed food.

Anyway,, read it and see what you think.

If it helps, I am glad :)
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This post is entitled "what is working for you?".
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Logging everything (even the 5000+ calorie days) and using a food scale to weigh EVERYTHING. I know that if I'm not honest and consistent, I'm wasting my time.

Lifting weights, starting with a basic beginner's program like Stronglift 5x5 or Starting Strength that steadily progresses in intensity/weight so as to ensure I retain as much lean body mass/muscle as possible.

Doing moderate cardio most days in the week. I have good cardiovascular health. And I get to watch TV (I have an in home elliptical, so I'm currently working my way through Supernatural).

Eating enough, and eating enough protein (I aim for 1g/lb of lean body mass, at least, and eat a few hundred calories under my TDEE typically, though I am doing a deeper cut for a week or two after Christmas).

Educating myself. Figuring out who on the forums knows what they're talking about, and listening to them. Independently reading journal articles about scientific studies pertaining to weight loss, exercise, or food/macros. Applying what I've learned to my diet and exercise routine.

Making the above activities a routine that I do every. single. day. (well, not the weight lifting, but I stick to my lifting schedule religiously) because once it all becomes a routine life becomes unbelievably easier; it's not a struggle - anymore - to eat a reasonable amount of food. It's not a struggle - anymore - to exercise most days out of the week. It's not a struggle - anymore - to look in the mirror and pretend I'm ok with what I see. Because now I am, and I'm stronger, happier, and more self-confident than I ever thought I could be; it started out about weight, and ended up being about fitness and continually challenging myself.

I often see people on these boards who say they're thinking about giving up, and I have never understood these people. You can give up at a game. You can give up at a job. You can give up at a relationship. You can leave these things, walk away, and never see them again. You can't walk away from yourself, your body, your self-esteem. It's your life, and the next year is going to be gone before you know it, regardless of how you spend it. What do you want to be, a year from now? Make the most of it.

Edited for grammar.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 57 and tried a number of ways to lose weight (not a lot).

I started reading Diet Doctor (you can google this) (or here is the link http://www.dietdoctor.com/) and started reading about the low carbohydrate, high fat lifestyle. What a surprise! For me this really works. I have to give up carbs (pasta, potatoes, bread, etc), but everything else makes up for it.

Just read it and see whether you think you can use this as a means of losing weight. The thing I like about this, is that there is lot of help out there. People are not trying to sell books, tapes, videos, etc. Everyone is out there to teach you about how to cut down on your carb and sugar intake and how to give up on eating processed food.

Anyway,, read it and see what you think.

If it helps, I am glad :)

any diet that restricts a food group as "bad' is idiotic….sorry just the hard truth..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    This post is entitled "what is working for you?".

i believe it is, yes
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want when I want but I make sure I stay within my calorie allowance. In other words, I've lost weight because I've eaten in a calorie deficit.

I weight lift and run, and do other exercise each day, which tones, gives me endurance, and helps to create a calorie deficit, but it is not necessary to lose weight.

As for your remark about the "simple answers"- it really is THAT simple, it's just that people make losing weight so difficult. :smile:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit will give you results. The "only" problem is figuring out how many calories you need to eat every day and what that deficit needs to be.

The parameters in the online calculators are too broad and vague so, ultimately, it comes down to trial and error until you finds your weight loss sweet spot.

I'm still looking for it. May you be more successful.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It really is that simple: eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Exercise to keep in shape: resistance training to ensure that most of what you lose is fat, and cardio to improve stamina. Make sure that any dietary changes you make are ones you want to maintain for the rest of your life: don't cut out a food unless you plan to never eat it again. Instead, cut back on things that don't meet your calorie goals: 1/2 oz. of cheese instead of a giant piece, for example (I love cheese!).

However, simple doesn't mean easy. You're basically going to be starving yourself, in the sense that you will be routinely eating fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight. The rest will come from fat stores. Since we have evolved to eat when food is available, reserving fat stores for lean times, you'll need to deal with cravings for food, which is exacerbated by the fact that those of us who are overweight generally don't have a reliable appetite and are likely to get hungry even if we're eating enough to maintain our weight.

Some things that have helped me along the way are:

* Planning meals in advance, cooking them, and carefully weighing ingredients to get accurate calorie counts.

* Pre-logging much of my food, including what I plan for dinner, so that I know how much wiggle room (if any) I have for snacks or treats.

* Exercising a lot, and using an accurate heart rate monitor for cardio, which lets me eat more.

* Learning that after about three weeks, I stopped getting frequent hunger pangs in mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Your body will adapt to burning fat stores as a matter of course. The first three weeks last January were tough; now it's much easier for me to eat at a calorie deficit. (However, for the last two weeks I've been at maintenance, during the holidays--I'm wondering how hard it will be to return to a deficit next week!)

That last point is important. If you can stick it out, it does get easier.

I don't agree with everything John Walker wrote in his book "The Hacker's Diet," but I recommend that everyone read it. And it's free online: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/

Good luck!

ETA: Oh, and as Phaedra2013 wrote, use online calculators, etc., only as estimates. Compare your data with your results. If you're eating what MFP says is a 1000 calorie/day deficit, and you're losing only 1 lb. a week, your real deficit is only 500 calories/day. So many threads on these forums have people claiming that they are on a plateau despite eating only 1200 calories/day while exercising hard for two hours and not eating back exercise calories. All those threads show is that the posters are wildly off in their estimates of calories eaten, calories burned, or both.