Afraid of eating to little....

Options

Replies

• djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    I want to lose 1-1/2 lbs a week, my intake limit is 1820 but I really try to stay 200 to 300 below it (if I do not exercise). If I exercise, I run 600 to 700 less.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    140 calories is NOT a lunch.

That's not even a snack.

Start by eating lunch.
  • roberggren
    Options
    I really am in no hurry and have not been trying. I simply have completely started watching what I eat and moving more. I feel better if I am moving. Typically I sit behind my computer sometimes 12 hours a day. Getting up and walking keeps me moving. I will try to eat a little more. I have been reaching for more healthy snacks and have really been thinking before I eat it.
    I realize the first 20lbs came off quickly but I believe a good portion of that was just water weight. Now I see the weight loss slowing down. A typical day before I began this journey only involved me taking 340 steps in an entire day! Today I took over 17K steps. I HAVE to at the very least walk everyday. Most people get that if they go outside of their home to do their job. Working from home has it's advantages but it certainly has it's disadvantages too. This is one of them. I have a long road ahead but practicing awareness eating, moving more and portion control are my only goals here at this point. I am not trying to be really thin. At this point I'd be happy at about 190lbs.
    Thank you all for your advice....I look forward to continuing on with the rest of you in this journey.
    Ro-

PS none of the links in that list that was posted opened up. Is there another way I can read more.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Losing 20+ lbs in 3 weeks is not healthy .. you need to eat more. You are way way short on your calories.

Please do something now before you damage your health by doing this in a reckless fashion.

You should aim for 1 percent loss per week ... about 2.5 lbs for you. Figure out your TDEE and eat 20% below that, you will be just fine if you do that.

This is not a race, even though it looks like you think it is.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    NEVER force yourself to eat when your not hungry, trust me from experience. Your body tell you what it needs when it needs it.
    this isnt true. the hormones that effect hunger really can't be relied on either way. just because you arent hungry doesnt mean that your body doesn't need to eat. just as an example, anorexics eventually lose their appetites yet they definitely are undereating
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    2216 -Calories Remaining

1860 Goal
    866 Food
    -
    1222 - Exercise

-356 (Net)
    My starting weight was 274lbs now it is 254

Good god. If this is accurate how are you even functioning on NEGATIVE net calories?! :noway: Not a good way to lose the weight at all.

technically all of us looking to lose weight are function on negative net calories. that's how we lose weight. the issue is that the OPs is too far
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's all fine and dandy if that's what you want to do, but I beg that you not give that to others as 'advice' because it is really bad advice. Just as I wouldn't expect a smoker to offer advice saying they lost weight when they started smoking, you should not offer advice about losing weight by depriving the body of nutrients. Both may result in weight loss, but both also involve slowly killing yourself.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I started out March 1, 2012. I was 255lbs. I started out eating 1610 cals plus more on the days I exercised. When I lost weight I was prompted to lower my cals. I was down to 1420 cals by May. I had lost over 30lbs and was working out 3-5 days a week. Then my hair started falling out, a LOT. I had blood work done and everything came back normal. My energy was dropping. I wasn't hungry. I thought that I was eating "healthy". But, as I began to research more I found out that a big part of being healthy is eating enough calories to support health. It doesn't really matter how many people who come on here and say that they eat below 1200 calories all the time and they feel great. Science says that is not healthy for your body (or IMO mind). If you eat below your BMR consistently you are robbing your body of nutrients and calories that is required for your body to function. It will catch up to you. You will hurt your health by doing it. That is not an opinion, it is fact.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for getting up and walking! It's also great that you recognize a problem before it becomes worse. A woman needs to NET 1200 calories a day to maintain everything in good functional order. Pick more calorie-dense foods if you don't feel like eating more volume.

When I started, I set my activity at sedentary and wasn't doing extra exercise. I believed some of the posters you'll find here who say exercise doesn't "count" if it's part of your daily routine. I'd dropped a chunk of weight the first couple of weeks, but then stopped cold. It was only when I started wearing a Fitbit that I realized that my normal day is far from sedentary, and I was undereating. Once I started trusting my exercise adjustment, my loss has been steady.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I started out March 1, 2012. I was 255lbs. I started out eating 1610 cals plus more on the days I exercised. When I lost weight I was prompted to lower my cals. I was down to 1420 cals by May. I had lost over 30lbs and was working out 3-5 days a week. Then my hair started falling out, a LOT. I had blood work done and everything came back normal. My energy was dropping. I wasn't hungry. I thought that I was eating "healthy". But, as I began to research more I found out that a big part of being healthy is eating enough calories to support health. It doesn't really matter how many people who come on here and say that they eat below 1200 calories all the time and they feel great. Science says that is not healthy for your body (or IMO mind). If you eat below your BMR consistently you are robbing your body of nutrients and calories that is required for your body to function. It will catch up to you. You will hurt your health by doing it. That is not an opinion, it is fact.

Thank you for sharing that. It's unfortunate that you went through this, but hopefully you'll be able to prevent someone else from doing the same thing.

If you feel up to it, I think this story should have a thread of it's own so more people can read about it.
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options

Thank you for sharing that. It's unfortunate that you went through this, but hopefully you'll be able to prevent someone else from doing the same thing.

If you feel up to it, I think this story should have a thread of it's own so more people can read about it.

I'll try it. I'm not on the message boards very much anymore because they just make me sad or mad, lol. So much misinformation.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you're logging all activity as exercise, make sure your MFP activity level is set to sedentary.

Also, measure/weigh all your food as accurately as possible. You may think you're eating less than you are.

Looking at your diary, if you just make small changes throughout the day, you could get closer to your goal. For example, you can have the whole deli flat instead of half with a tablespoon of butter for breakfast, use 2% milk in your tea, and put some nuts or granola in that Greek yogurt.

I notice that sometimes I'm not hungry, or perhaps I'm just not noticing my hunger, but I feel a bit weak or tired and I know I need more calories. Hunger isn't your only cue that you need to eat.

Some very overweight/obese people do opt for quicker weight loss, but faster than 2 lb/week needs to be under the supervision of a doctor.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    This morning I walked for 90 minutes for 4 miles and before dinner I walked another 2 miles in about 44 minutes. It was about 800 calories burned but body media gives me credit for moderate activity that I may be during the day OTHER than walking.....hence the 1222

The extra cals the body media is giving you for your daily activity is already included in your calorie allotment. You should NOT eat back those cals. Even HRM and such can overestimate calorie burns. General consensus is to allow 100 calories per mile walked. So count only 600 cals for exercise for today, NOT 1222. And even then, since you have quite a bit of extra weight to lose, it is not vital to eat back those calories if you are not hungry.

Make sure that you are accurately measuring everything you eat and logging it all correctly. You may be underestimating calories eaten. Make sure that you are getting enough protein and healthy fats into your day. That is more important than reaching a set number of calories.

Many people do ok on lower calorie amounts when they first start out, and have a lot to lose. As you lose weight, you might find yourself getting hungrier and having to up your calories a bit. This is normal. Just listen to your body and how you feel. Energy levels, brain fog, etc are signs you may be eating too little.

After you lose the first third or so of the pounds you need to lose, your weight loss will most likely slow down. This is normal as well, so be prepared and don't panic. Just be patient.
  • roberggren
    Options
    I am weighing EVERYTHING down to the gram or oz. I am not manually plugging in my calorie burn at all my body media does it for me based on ALL the activities I do in a day not just my walking. If I am scrubbing the floors well then I am burning more calories, the body media sensors adjust appropriately. Body media is talking to MFP all day long. I am even counting spices I use, butter I consume or oils I cook things in. If I eat a tablespoon of grated cheese, well then it gets logged in. I spend more time during the day accurately adding my calories. than anything else. I. AM. COMMITTED.

I am pretty sure that every ones caloric burn is going to be different depending on the amount of weight they have to loose. So if I am burning more than someone else well that is because I have more to loose.

Some people here are really abrasive in how they choose to state things. I am aware that I have been eating to little...my question was do you eat when you are not hungry? I am also new here and still learning but please don't assume that at the age of 43 I can't count or I am not adding it all in. What's the point of not being truthful in my own fitness diary?

Anyhow, thanks again for the constructive advise. I learned how to calculate my TDEE and have adjusted my goals manually and tomorrow is a new day.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I'll try it. I'm not on the message boards very much anymore because they just make me sad or mad, lol. So much misinformation.
    Exactly how I feel about posts like yours... maddening misinformation. The below is totally unsupported opinion, not fact. Show me ONE authoritative source that discusses dangers of eating below your BMR. You won't be able to. I've been asking for years, no one has. Your body burns calories in stored fat just fine. What is UNhealthy is the overeating everyone justifies as 'fueling their precious body functions', while they got obese and remained obese and then while they lose weight at a snail's pace, feeling all smug and self-satisfied the whole time, like they're doing something extra healthy for themselves by dragging out their obesity an extra year. 1400+ calories and your hair was falling out? Really? Why don't you sue MFP for their 1200 recommendation that hurt you so grievously? Oh yeah, you don't have a case because no one disputes that 1200 is universally considered a conservative deficit.

"I found out that a big part of being healthy is eating enough calories to support health. It doesn't really matter how many people who come on here and say that they eat below 1200 calories all the time and they feel great. Science says that is not healthy for your body (or IMO mind). If you eat below your BMR consistently you are robbing your body of nutrients and calories that is required for your body to function. It will catch up to you. You will hurt your health by doing it. That is not an opinion, it is fact."
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am aware that I have been eating to little...my question was do you eat when you are not hungry? I am also new here and still learning but please don't assume that at the age of 43 I can't count or I am not adding it all in. What's the point of not being truthful in my own fitness diary?

You'd be surprised at how many people aren't truthful in their diary - and not necessarily on purpose.

If you're having trouble eating more than I'd suggest eating more calorie dense foods. Peanut butter, nuts, avocados, full-fat dairy products, etc.... I didn't look too much into your diary, but I didn't see any "diet" foods - if you are eating those though than that's another common thing to switch out. You know all those things most "dieters" shy away from because they have too many calories - eat those.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options

Exactly how I feel about posts like yours... maddening misinformation. The below is totally unsupported opinion, not fact. Show me ONE authoritative source that discusses dangers of eating below your BMR. You won't be able to. I've been asking for years, no one has. Your body burns calories in stored fat just fine. What is UNhealthy is the overeating everyone justifies as 'fueling their precious body functions', while they got obese and remained obese and then while they lose weight at a snail's pace, feeling all smug and self-satisfied the whole time, like they're doing something extra healthy for themselves by dragging out their obesity an extra year. 1400+ calories and your hair was falling out? Really? Why don't you sue MFP for their 1200 recommendation that hurt you so grievously? Oh yeah, you don't have a case because no one disputes that 1200 is universally considered a conservative deficit.

"I found out that a big part of being healthy is eating enough calories to support health. It doesn't really matter how many people who come on here and say that they eat below 1200 calories all the time and they feel great. Science says that is not healthy for your body (or IMO mind). If you eat below your BMR consistently you are robbing your body of nutrients and calories that is required for your body to function. It will catch up to you. You will hurt your health by doing it. That is not an opinion, it is fact."

Not really sure why you are so hostile to a balanced and moderate approach, but here is some evidence.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/metabolism/ART-20046508?pg=1

Quote from Mayo clinic article "It may be tempting to blame your metabolism for weight gain. But because metabolism is a natural process, your body generally balances it to meet your individual needs. That's why if you try so-called starvation diets, your body compensates by slowing down these bodily processes and conserving calories for survival."

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245588.php

http://m.ajpregu.physiology.org/content/301/3/R581

http://m.ajpregu.physiology.org/content/290/6/R1577
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I am aware that I have been eating to little...my question was do you eat when you are not hungry? I am also new here and still learning but please don't assume that at the age of 43 I can't count or I am not adding it all in. What's the point of not being truthful in my own fitness diary?

Deep breath, and focus! You came here asking for information, remember? Please try not to jump down the throats of those giving it to you. You are well ahead of the pack in logging everything, especially for being so new to this. The advice to make sure you're logging everything was top notch! We just had no way of knowing you were already doing that. As an example, I wasn't logging things like honey mustard sauce, because I think I saw once that McDonalds sauce was 30 calories, so that was infinitesimal to me. Come to realize Steak 'n Shake and DQ sauces were more like 260 calories and I'd sometimes have multiple packs. I could have had yummy small fries for that amount!

Yes, you should try to eat a bit more, especially if your calories are consistently negative. One other reason to try for a less aggressive deficit is that over time, you will likely get sick of this "diet" and potentially binge, possibly bringing you back to square one. Whatever you choose to do, a more sustainable approach is obviously better. I'd love to have your problem, though :(. A can of cashew nuts sitting in my desk would not even make it through the day, as an example.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat when you aren't hungry. Plan your meals out for the day, meet (or exceed) your protein and fat goals, then fill the rest with carbs. Set meal times, and stick to them - you will start to get natural hunger cues after a while. These may not be growling tummy or cravings, but lack of energy, or a mid afternoon slump. Please try and add some vegetables to your day - you need the nutrients, especially if you're being more active. They'll help with recovery...
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your calculations and settings are right (definitely set for sedentary if your body media is adding in everything you do), but in terms of getting enough to eat, you need to get enough to eat for the nutrition aspect alone. Get enough to nourish yourself (protein, healthy fats, vitamins, adequate fruits and veggies, etc) and think of it that way when it feels silly to eat when you're not hungry. I don't think you need to worry about eating 2500 calories if you're not hungry, but 866 is too little unless under medical instructions and guidance to do so.