Juicing is working for me!

Options
1235»

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    So you lost weight juicing, then could not sustain it and gained back the weight and more? So now you are going to do the same thing again and hope to get different results?
    OK...have fun with that.....
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    So you lost weight juicing, then could not sustain it and gained back the weight and more? So now you are going to do the same thing again and hope to get different results?

There are a lot of folks returning to MFP for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever time.... who have been here before, logged, eaten at a deficit, lost weight, and eventually fallen off the wagon.... So, should these people not try 'the same thing again' and expect different results?

hmmm-thinking-smiley-face-107x150.jpg
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Bump. I'm doing a little 'experiment.' I'll be back to post results, eventually.
  • Cjgosa
    Cjgosa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started juicing this week, and have enjoyed it so far. I think it's important to understand the benefits of juicing, as well as the benefits of blending, as the two are completely different, but both still beneficial. I think if you're doing a juicing fast, it's okay for a short amount of time, but juicing alone isn't something that a person could expect to sustain for a lifetime. Juicing is, however, a great way to make sure you're getting the necessary fruits and vegetables you need daily, and should supplement your already healthy, nutritious meals. I think we also should remember that there are many ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle. We should provide constructive criticism, when applicable, and continue to encourage one another. I would hate for anyone seeking a healthy lifestyle to feel MFP isn't a good site for them because of any negativity they may see in these boards.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

There are a lot of folks returning to MFP for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever time.... who have been here before, logged, eaten at a deficit, lost weight, and eventually fallen off the wagon.... So, should these people not try 'the same thing again' and expect different results?

The difference there, me being one of those people who lost and gained, is that I never stopped with my deficit and exercise. Thus, it's a lifestyle change. I have good days and bad days and I have moments where I could care less about my calorie goal. But unlike juicing or any other kind of fad diet, this is something I WILL do the rest of my live. It just takes perfection.
  • sloth3toes
    Options

The difference there, me being one of those people who lost and gained, is that I never stopped with my deficit and exercise. Thus, it's a lifestyle change. I have good days and bad days and I have moments where I could care less about my calorie goal. But unlike juicing or any other kind of fad diet, this is something I WILL do the rest of my live. It just takes perfection.

I get that. And I admit to being a little facetious here.... but, here's what I'm saying. Any MFP'er wouldn't hesitate to say that someone who juiced, and lost weight, then gained it back was a failure.... so, I'm asking.... what's the difference, if someone is 'attempting' to change their lifestyle, by counting calories, loses weight, then gains it all back? Different procedures, same results.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So I tried juicing! It was not for me!!!!!!
    But my friend loves it and feels her best when she does it :) all depends on the person! I think she's bonkers for liking the juice and she thinks I'm bonkers for not! Now we just do our own thing :)
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I find these threads much more entertaining if I tell myself that 'juicing' is some kind of new sex act that I haven't heard of yet.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Lol. Just.

"You can do this! All you need is to be perfect at it."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I get that. And I admit to being a little facetious here.... but, here's what I'm saying. Any MFP'er wouldn't hesitate to say that someone who juiced, and lost weight, then gained it back was a failure.... so, I'm asking.... what's the difference, if someone is 'attempting' to change their lifestyle, by counting calories, loses weight, then gains it all back? Different procedures, same results.
    sounds like a legit plan …juicing to perfection ...
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been juicing for almost a month now. I try to juice at least 3 times a day. When ever I have date night or just feel like eating something special I make sure I juice 2 times then enjoy my special meal later. I try to juice most veggies and not so much fruit. I juice spinach, kale, cucumber, celery, carrots, mint, parsley, pineapple, strawberries, oranges, apples, pears, lemon and lime. No I do not juice all of these at once but most. I basically juice whatever I have in my fridge. I am never hungry after juicing and my sweet tooth is satisfied as well.

I make sure I exercise everyday. I workout for 1 1/2 hrs. Normally I run/walk and alternate days I walk uphill. Walking uphill is very tough for me but I fight it out.

I weigh myself every Wednesday (weigh in Wednesday) I lose between 3-5lbs. Watching the scale go down is y motivation. I look forward to Wednesday's and I'm not giving up juicing until I get under 200lbs. I'm 253 now I'm sure next Wednesday I'll be in the 240's.

I happy about juicing, you should try it

Facemud.jpg
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I find these threads much more entertaining if I tell myself that 'juicing' is some kind of new sex act that I haven't heard of yet.

Lmfao...Will it reach England or the US first??
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I have juicer. Love it for detoxing, overall, meal substitution. I get on kicks especially after watcher Fat, Sick, and Nearly dead. I love to juice! When I am sick I bring it out for all the natural vitamins in there. It's good.

I saw that and another one, hubby and I decided we would try it. We have yet to start, someone gave me a Tiger Juicer, I am wondering if that would be as good as using a vitamix or such? It wont matter at this point, We will not be fasting with it. but eatting veggies we are missing out on, because we dont like them. Also, neither of us eats enough to start with. Lucky to get 600- 800 calories in. Would like to double it. It sounds like the best thing to do is use kale, spinch and what ever I find to put in the fridge.
  • sloth3toes
    Options

This is an anti-juicer's post... this poster is perfecting their lifestyle change.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

This is an anti-juicer's post... this poster is perfecting their lifestyle change.

aww damn I read that one wrong …my bad bro ...
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm doing a little 'experiment.' I'll be back to post results, eventually.

Me too:wink::flowerforyou: :happy:
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    The preliminary results are in. It's 9 days... 3 on The Sloth 3 Day Detox Diet ® And 6 days after.

TL;DR version... went on a VLC / juice / protein powder ( detox, cleanse, fast... whatever... ) for 3 days, lost 6 pounds, have gained 4 back.

The 3 days ON

The Sloth 3 Day Detox Diet ®

I planned to do 3 days of just juice. The first thing I realized was... I exercise too much now, to just live on juice. So, I have added a substantial amount of plant based protein powder ( with added fiber and vitamins ) to this 'diet...' kind of making the whole 'juice thing' a bit questionable. But, it is still like a 50 / 50 split, juice + protein powder, it's all liquid, and it's SUPER low calories. Here's the breakdown of the 3 days.

Day One

Starting weight 163

1 serving Grapefruit juice w/ 1 apple
    3 1/2 servings Vegetable juice
    2 servings Vega One shake ( total protein 32 grams )

30 mins stairclimbing calorie burn 414
    45 mins weightlifting calorie burn 100

calorie goal 2254
    calories consumed 765
    deficit 1489

Day Two

Weight 160.5

3 servings Vegetable juice
    4 servings Vega One shake ( total protein 64 grams )

30 mins swimming calorie burn 375
    40 mins walking calorie burn 123

calorie goal 2653
    calories consumed 1017
    deficit 1635

Day Three

Weight 158.5

3 servings Vega One shake ( total protein 48 grams )

calorie goal 2242
    calories consumed 871
    deficit 1371

Day Four

Weight 157

Total loss over 3 days 6

Summary of 3 days.

I was on days off, so stairclimbed at home each day, ( I try to do that 7 days a week ) went to gym twice, and swam once. The workouts were a bit harder, I did think on the 2nd workout, that if I can do it with so little food, I should be able to bump up the weight, next time. I killed the swim, it was awesome. 3rd day of stairclimbing, I also felt like I killed it.

I didn't feel particularly hungry, at any time. Not full by any means, but not starving. I did feel lightheaded at times... I wouldn't recommend this for surgeons, or air traffic controllers....

Starting today, day 4, I will go back immediately to my regular diet... ( which all MFP's agree will cause me to gain back everything I lost... ) which I try to keep as plant based as possible. Suppers can be a crap shoot, sometimes mostly plant based, sometimes all out meat, up to, and including take out burgers, fries, etc.

I'll weigh every day for the first few days, and post my weight again on day 7.

What was I trying to prove? Mostly, that not everyone who does something radical, will gain back everything they lose, when they return to their 'normal' diet... depending on what 'normal' is... and I was also trying for a 'reboot' of sorts, to hopefully shake some sugar cravings I've been struggling with lately.

The following 6 Days

Day 5 Weight 157
    Day 6 Weight 158.8
    Day 7 Weight 160

Day 8 weighed in at 162. Starting to think this experiment was a fail. Have eaten SAD last two suppers... but not above goal calories, according to my estimations. Could blame sodium, or..... ? But to me, what's on the scale is on the scale. And so far, the scale says, it's all coming back. :blushing:

Day 9 161 lbs. Total loss 2 lbs. I'm gonna guess that's about the final stopping place. I'll keep weighing to see, though.

Current take on the three days of The Sloth 3 Day Detox Diet ® ?

Pretty much.... meh..... did feel somewhat 'rebooted....' that is, less cravings, and so far, appetite seems a bit lower. Not the easiest way, or the most sensible to lose 2 lbs. I guess I'd give it a 5 out of 10. In other words, can't say I'd strongly recommend it, but I doubt it did me any harm.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The preliminary results are in. It's 9 days... 3 on The Sloth 3 Day Detox Diet ® And 6 days after.

TL;DR version... went on a VLC / juice / protein powder ( detox, cleanse, fast... whatever... ) for 3 days, lost 6 pounds, have gained 4 back.

The 3 days ON

The Sloth 3 Day Detox Diet ®

I planned to do 3 days of just juice. The first thing I realized was... I exercise too much now, to just live on juice. So, I have added a substantial amount of plant based protein powder ( with added fiber and vitamins ) to this 'diet...' kind of making the whole 'juice thing' a bit questionable. But, it is still like a 50 / 50 split, juice + protein powder, it's all liquid, and it's SUPER low calories. Here's the breakdown of the 3 days.

Day One

Starting weight 163

3 1/2 servings Vegetable juice
    2 servings Vega One shake ( total protein 32 grams )

calorie goal 2254
    calories consumed 765
    deficit 1489

Day Two

Weight 160.5

4 servings Vega One shake ( total protein 64 grams )

30 mins swimming calorie burn 375
    40 mins walking calorie burn 123

calorie goal 2653
    calories consumed 1017
    deficit 1635

Day Three

Weight 158.5

3 servings Vega One shake ( total protein 48 grams )

calorie goal 2242
    calories consumed 871
    deficit 1371

Day Four

Weight 157

Total loss over 3 days 6

Summary of 3 days.

I was on days off, so stairclimbed at home each day, ( I try to do that 7 days a week ) went to gym twice, and swam once. The workouts were a bit harder, I did think on the 2nd workout, that if I can do it with so little food, I should be able to bump up the weight, next time. I killed the swim, it was awesome. 3rd day of stairclimbing, I also felt like I killed it.

I didn't feel particularly hungry, at any time. Not full by any means, but not starving. I did feel lightheaded at times... I wouldn't recommend this for surgeons, or air traffic controllers....

Starting today, day 4, I will go back immediately to my regular diet... ( which all MFP's agree will cause me to gain back everything I lost... ) which I try to keep as plant based as possible. Suppers can be a crap shoot, sometimes mostly plant based, sometimes all out meat, up to, and including take out burgers, fries, etc.

I'll weigh every day for the first few days, and post my weight again on day 7.

What was I trying to prove? Mostly, that not everyone who does something radical, will gain back everything they lose, when they return to their 'normal' diet... depending on what 'normal' is... and I was also trying for a 'reboot' of sorts, to hopefully shake some sugar cravings I've been struggling with lately.

The following 6 Days

Day 5 Weight 157
    Day 6 Weight 158.8
    Day 7 Weight 160

Day 8 weighed in at 162. Starting to think this experiment was a fail. Have eaten SAD last two suppers... but not above goal calories, according to my estimations. Could blame sodium, or..... ? But to me, what's on the scale is on the scale. And so far, the scale says, it's all coming back. :blushing:

Day 9 161 lbs. Total loss 2 lbs. I'm gonna guess that's about the final stopping place. I'll keep weighing to see, though.

Current take on the three days of The Sloth 3 Day Detox Diet ® ?

Pretty much.... meh..... did feel somewhat 'rebooted....' that is, less cravings, and so far, appetite seems a bit lower. Not the easiest way, or the most sensible to lose 2 lbs. I guess I'd give it a 5 out of 10. In other words, can't say I'd strongly recommend it, but I doubt it did me any harm.

Wow, what an interesting experiment--thank you so much for posting this:heart::flowerforyou: :heart:

My body is funny, it's like my children (ya know, how we tell them their going to stop doing thus and such and start doing thus and such from now on OR ELSE...they're like "ummmm hmmmm, Mother is on some new kick, let's see how long this lasts and goes along with the program, knowing it's a "fad or kick" and we'll be back to "normal" shortly. In other words, like we "lie" to our children & ourselves/our bodies (with good intentions of course--telling our children and ourselves we're not going to do thus and such anymore and/or if they do thus and such again, we're going to do thus and such to them and don't do it/follow-up on dishing out consequences and then don't keep our word (that's what I mean by we're liars--AKA not keeping our word, not being consistent)...some call this resolutions or sometime to that effect/affect), but like our children, my body won't REALLY get into it or BELIEVE us/me, unless and until it becomes a habit then a real lifestyle change for the long-term. If not, like our children, my body and children will go right back to where it/they was (whatever misbehavior I'm trying and wanting to correct in them and myself), knowing I'm not serious, committed and IMB-NTB (I MEAN BUSINESS/NO TURNING BACK) Does that make sense? In other words, at least for me, my body doesn't cooperate and give me the results I'm longing for with "temporary fixes or trial experiments". I have to go for something "new" for at least a couple of months or more, before my body (and children) starts to "believing" IMB (I mean business), and thus when our children and our bodies know that we aren't "kidding around with them anymore" it's amazing how (I'm speaking for myself--of course) my children and body will joyfully go along with the "program" by acting/reacting by giving me the positive results/change I'm striving for--ONLY when they know IMB and that takes a no nonsense and long-term approach for me.

My "experiment" with this new way of eating and drinking is going to include far more eating/chewing stuff than you did--for me, your wonderful experiment would be totally unsustainable for me--with my experiment/trying to make this a lifestyle habit and way of eating, instead of a "detox" short-term deal--I want to eat and drink the way (like what my food diary is recording) forevermore--for the rest of my life--not short-term-- like what I've been doing/eating/drinking since the 1st of the new year. Right now, rather than adding "juicing" in my daily routine, I'm going to use up my multitudes of vegan protein powders and Amazing grasses first. I should be finished with these in a month or so, then I'll add 2 or 3 of my organic exotic veggie juicing daily in. My food diary shows how I've been eating and drinking and exercising for the past week or so. I've lost 2 pounds thus far (in 1 week)...I haven't been hungry in the least and am feeling stronger day by day...but have a long road ahead of me!
  • mskwatkins
    mskwatkins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did a 30 day juice fast last summer and lost 27lbs! I gained about 20 pounds back

Ding ding ding!

Why is it so hard to see that you can't restrict like this and expect the results to last forever. Unless you plan on having nothing but juice for the rest of your life... you are going to gain that back when you go back to your normal habits.

you can eat at a deficit and then gain back if you're not disciplined, so...

eating in a slight deficit is wayyyy more sustainable then any kind of juice fast….

True but the gain can still be possible.
    I don't understand your point..if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight...you can't consume less energy and put on weight..its physically impossible, unless you have some sort of medical condition...

Just to try to clarify... I think what this poster is trying to say is....

The common school of thought is, you change your lifestyle, eating at a deficit.... you lose weight. Then, you maintain.

Juicing, since it's radical, is not a lifestyle change, ergo... it's 'assumed' that one will go back to their old eating habits, and gain any lost weight right back.

I think all that this poster is trying to say is.... you can lose by eating at a deficit, you can lose by juicing, and you can gain back after juicing, AND you can gain back after eating at a deficit.

That's how I interpret what was said, anyhow.

8640--victorian-olde-victorian-punctuation-question-mark.png

I concur! ;)
  • novauser
    novauser Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz show right now ( repeat of "juicerexia from 2013) is about these juice cleanses. He shows that they are incredibly dangerous especially for women....says that it melts away your water and muscle weight...and the most damaging aspect of that is that it is proven that these long term juicing cleanses literally melts away your heart, the most important muscle in your body. it disintegrates and shrinks and people die from the heart problems from no nourishment.
    The psychologist that they had on with him says that it is an eating disorder that women get caught up in and it is crash dieting.

ETA: I juice daily...but as a supplement to a healthy eating...not as a meal replacement or as a sole sustenance. I feel great having the juice in my body...no question. But it is not a way of life.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!