Help me love my brown rice and/or Quinoa

Options
MollMoll821
MollMoll821 Posts: 64 Member
I'm on a fairly restricted diet that requires me to have 1 cup of GF grain a day. Brown and quinoa have been my go to grains thus far. Honestly I've never been a huge fan of rice and sometimes I'm not all that thrilled with my quinoa.

For example today I cooked 2 cups of it so I have it for the rest of the week. I tossed in some garlic cloves, onion and smoked paprika while it cooks. I had it with my lunch and it was...meh.

What are your favorite tips for cooking rice so it comes out just right? Do you throw anything in? Any amazing recipes you can share with me? I'm also open to quinoa suggestions (I usually soak it, toast it and boil it with some veg bullion) or any other health GF grain suggestions.

(I'm Gluten, Dairy (goat milk based is okay), Corn and Soy Free. Also Vegetarian. )

Thanks in advance! Also need more friends for motivation! :smile:

Replies

• krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I cook my quiona in coconut milk, mskes it creamy good
  • ChiantiLover
    Options
    Have you tried Cook's Illustrated Baked Brown Rice? It turns out great. I did a search and found it online. http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2006/03/by-request-cooks-illustrateds.html

I have omitted the oil and it's fine. Also, I find that adding the salt to the rice instead of the water is better for seasoning.

As for quinoa, I have seen and tried a pilaf with onions, carrots, raisins, sometimes nuts, etc. It should be easy to find one. My favorite involves a cilantro and pepita pesto. Not low fat with the pepitas, though. Here it is!

http://mexican.food.com/recipe/mexican-quinoa-with-pepita-cilantro-sauce-297204
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The brown rice tastes nice if you use broth instead of water to cook it in. Chicken, veggie or beef broth all work fine.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Well, I buy the frozen pre-cooked brown rice :laugh: I add it to any mexi-food I cook to stretch the meat out a bit.
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The baking method makes brown rice come out with a really nice texture every time. If you bake it plain, then you can just add whatever you want every time you eat it.
  • davelibertyjones
    Options
    Funny, just had quinoa and brown rice for dinner, mixed it with Madras lentils and curry spices and juices from the lamb chops. Really good!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Why, both suck. :happy:
  • geekprincess858
    Options
    You could make a quinoa salad and add yummy avocado, tomatoes, onions, parsley, cracked pepper and a light vinaigrette, nuts. Superb!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Try black rice, too, Do you enjoy curry? If so look at this:

Curry quinoa, lentils, and rice

2/3 cup red or ivory quinoa
    2/3 cup black or brown rice
    1/3 cup lentils (any type that is whole with skin)
    1/2 cup raisins (optional)
    1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut (optional)
    1 tbsp curry powder, or any set of fragrant spices (cumin, coriander,turmeric, cayenne, etc)
    1 bay leaf
    1 to 3 dried red chilies
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3 cups water

Pick over the lentils to avoid stones. I buy pre-washed organic quinoa, but otherwise it will need to be washed according to the directions on the package. If you do pre-wash everything, reduce the water by 1/2 cup. Put everything in a rice cooker, and let it cook on regular.

If using the stove top, put everything into a small heavy bottom and bring to a boil with the lid on, then turn it down to a low simmer and cook covered for 35-40mins.

Remove bay leaf and chili, and fluff with a fork before serving.

You can use vegetable or chicken stock if you like, just watch the salt. This goes great with almost anything, or just by itself with diced tomatoes and/or avocado.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I forgot about this one too
    http://www.cookingquinoa.net/mediterranean-chickpea-salad

That whole site has a ton!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've recently gotten into quinoa as a sweet breakfast dish. I make it with almond milk, almond butter, and banana slices. :)

Also, brown rice and beans make a complete protein, so find some recipes you like online. I use black and pinto beans with red bell peppers, diced tomatoes, and plenty of spices.
  • njtipton
    Options
    add fresh salsa
  • MollMoll821
    MollMoll821 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to trying the baked rice tomorrow night! I love curries and love spicy foods so all these recipes/suggestions look great! Maybe I'll try some quinoa breakfast recipes soon. I think I'm just getting burnt out on these two grains. But I am hoping the baked rice has a different texture as lately my stove top rice has just been mush. Again, thanks all!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    curious, why is your diet so restricted?
  • laschndr
    Options
    I've made quinoa similarly to fried rice. Leftover quinoa out of the fridge, some frozen peas and carrots or whatever veg you like, maybe a little garlic, soy sauce, pepper, whatever (maybe even a scrambled egg like actual fried rice). All this stuff sautéed in a pan with just a little oil. Can be a side or main dish.
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try a different rice instead of brown. When I lived in Thailand, I got hooked on a rice I got there. It is a dark purple/black and has a wonderful taste - much different from brown rice. You can find it at an Asian market. Also, I love Ezekeil bread. It is made of sprouted organic GMO-free grains. It has a wonderful rich taste. Most grocery stores chains carry it, as well a specialty food stores.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Another possible angle - if your current diet is flexible enough:

I've found a few days of not having ANY rice, quinoa, pasta, or bread works wonders. I don't mean eliminating or reducing carbs, just the tasty ones and their "close cousin substitutes". Totally a personal, subjective call what those things are. For me it's the four above (yet not oatmeal or potatoes, weirdly enough).

So I end up eating a lot of carbs via broccoli, rutabagas, oatmeal, and potatoes which oddly don't register to my tastebuds/appetite the same as bread, pasta, & rice.

After about 3 days of that nonsense, the brown rice tastes DELICIOUS. No calorie or macro change, just an attitude adjustment.
  • BigAlNyc
    BigAlNyc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try to find red Quinoa, it has a slight nutty flavor, I make it with veggie dip mix and low sodium chicken stock. Remember to soak the quinoa over night and rinse often to get all the soapy taste out of it. I have also made it using fruit juice for deserts, just add some nuts, dried cranberry, dried blueberries and a touch of honey.

Rice is like a base, you can cook it many ways, try different varieties, jasmin rice has a nice aroma,
    I prefer par-boiled rice and I use a 2 to 1 ratio of water to rice. In the pot place your water and rice on the stove until it starts to simmer, when you do not see any water on the rice and just bubbles popping on the surface, turn it to low, cover with a tight lid for 20 mins and then turn off the heat and cover with a towel for 10 mins. Perfect rice every time.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    Some of these recipes sound great!

I am always eating rice (I mix it up though depending on what I am having it with) and have been wanting to cook with more quinoa, lentils and other things like this and there are a few good recipes on those sites that people have suggested which I will check out.

I also love the recipe linked here for curry quinoa, lentils and rice, I will definitely be giving that a shot on the weekend.