Dear Whovians - I need your help...

Options

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Also, and I don't say this to insult any 9th doctor fans, just speaking from personal experience... if you want to give up on the show at first, don't. I had a lot of trouble getting through the first season of New Who (the 9th doctor) not because Eccleston isn't wonderful, but because the show still had a pretty low budget at that point and I just found it really cheesy. I stopped watching for a while and only picked it back up again because my boyfriend wouldn't shut up about it. Once I got through that season, I fell IN LOVE with the show. It just took some time. (There ARE a couple of really good episodes in the first season... see The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances).
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Seven season!! Their lucky. I'm quite regretting getting netflix, but thaanks for the advice.

http://www.points2shop.com?ref=uin1394286265

amazon prime has all the seasons from Eccleston to the end of Matt Smith, all the seasons but Matt's last one is free.
  • dancurranjr
    dancurranjr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Watch Torchwood at the same time you start watching the reboot - the stories intertwine between shows. Wikipedia episode guide is your friend for all of the details.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    It is and has always been a BBC production . . . but yes, it originally started in the '60's; there were 8 doctors in the initial run. Then back in '09 it was revived with the 9th doctor and has been on since. As far as who the best dr. is that's a matter of opinion. I wouldn't start watching randomly . . . the individual episodes may not rely on one another but the overarching mythology *does*, so at the very least I'd start at the beginning of the 9th doctor and watch from there.
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I started with the Ninth because that was the start of what was on Netflix at the time. I would have honestly liked starting at the beginning, but I think I'd have to find those episodes online. Since I've never seen the first 1-8 Doctors, I wouldn't know anything about them so I'm not going to suggest them. Go with 9.
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Most of Patrick Troughton (The Second Doctor) has lost episodes so nobody can really watch all 33 seasons just yet. More and more episodes are being found though. Just recently two lost serials were found the past year. It was such phenomenal news for Whovians! :)
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Tough question. People often have a preference for a particular Doctor Who actor. Entirely personal but my favourite Doctor is Matt Smith. I would suggest starting to watch at the beginning of an actor's time as The Doctor. If you want to get a taste for Doctor Who, a suggestion to start with Christopher Eccleston's series has been made. He wasn't my favourite Doctor but it will give you an insight into the show and it's one series long.

Hope this is useful. :flowerforyou:

what she said! LOOVE Matt Smith
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Start with Christopher Eccelston and work your way through Matt Smith. Then when you get the chance go back and watch some of the original episodes from the very very start.

^ This

My daughter (9) and I are huge fans.

I think the newer ones are more accessible for new fans than starting at the beginning would be.

If you have Amazon Prime you have free access to a LOT of the older stories too.
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah, start with the 9th Doctor, but could I ask why you are wanting to start Doctor Who and curious about it enough to even ask where to begin?
  • ugottafriend
    ugottafriend Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't give up after the first episode. Please. This series is amazing, but you have to give it a chance.

Nine is good, but he wasn't my favorite. In fact not even close. I beg you to watch anyway...it's worth it in the long run.

Ten was magnificent and unforgettable...you will not be disappointed. David Tennant is the greatest actor in the world, PERIOD.

Eleven was absolutely outstanding. Very dramatic and cinematic. Such incredible speeches. I will miss him so much.

When you get through all of this, visit Classic Who.

I did a timey wimey thing and began with 11 and worked my way backwards. CONFUSING, but awesome. Now I'm working my way back forwards and reliving it all. I've cried like a baby. I don't care for much fiction TV but this is some great stuff. I am a Whovian for life!

If I was only allowed to recommend ONE episode of Doctor Who...Vincent and the Doctor. Hands down.

Welcome to the family!
    -Kelli
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    If I was only allowed to recommend ONE episode of Doctor Who...Vincent and the Doctor. Hands down.

Oh my god, this. I'm crying just thinking about it.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I would get netflix if I were you....I started with the 9th doctor series and am almost finished with season 6. I plan on going back and watching the earlier ones later on but I highly suggest watching the first doctor series from way back when because you will have people play cameo or surprise roles later on and it may help to figure out who they were.

I love this show lol watched 3 or 4 seasons in about 2 weeks even with work and school lol
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options

Oh my god, this. I'm crying just thinking about it.

I was watching it and then BAM i just started crying lol
  • SweetieMelissa
    SweetieMelissa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As we speak, my mom is watching Torchwood on BBC America....

<3

I like this thread.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Starting with Series 1 is the best idea. It's the one that started in 2005 and starred Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper. That's a strong place to start as it's the first season of the revival.

Another place you can start is Series 5, when Matt Smith became The Doctor. There's a Doctor between Eccleston and Smith (David Tennant), but the transition from Eccleston to Tennant isn't as clean as Tennant to Smith. I actually started watching in earnest during Series 5, but I was able to understand because I had seen a few episodes before and understood the premise of the show.

Don't try to start back 50 years ago with An Unearthly Child and try to go from there. Not only is there just too much to watch chronologically, but several of the episodes just no longer exist. Get into the new series, figure out what's going on, and go back from there when you catch up.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Ditto on starting with Eccleston. You might not like the first few episodes, but power through. About mid-season I got hooked, and have seen just about everything available since then. As to the best Doctor/Companion, it's all up for debate. Eccleston was my favorite, Tenant was probably the most popular. I didn't like Matt Smith as much as either of them, but he did a decent job.

Torchwood is also awesome to watch. It's like Dr. Who for grownups. Watch it, then work back through Dr. Who classic, and then maybe the Sarah Jane Chronicles (although that has a decidedly saccharine, after-school kind of feel).
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I would just start with the the 9th Doctor and watch on. (You don't need to watch the WAY older episodes). I really loathe Rose the first companion (which is an unpopular opinion).
  • LesBrock
    LesBrock Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would say Christopher Eccelston of the modern Doctors, I'm old enough to have seen them all in real time :tongue:
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix, it has ALLLLL the Doctor Who episodes (even from the old series, I believe). Start with Eccleston's first episode "Rose". You'll need to get over the oddness, but soon you won't be able to start watching.

Number 10, Tennant, was my ABSOLUTE favorite doctor. I just couldn't get into Matt Smith. Too wild for me, I guess haha!!

Have FUN. Keep the tissues handy for the entire series, though. *sniffle* OMG. The feels.