Night Snacking

Options
So I have no problem eating healthy (for a non-athlete person), but when ever night time comes around I snack. I mean its not like I'm eating entire meals, but I avoid the foods during the day.
For example/ I love those chocolate nature way bars. This morning I was considering eating them with breakfeast ,but I chose something much healthier. Then I ate one after dinner. Okay not the end of the world. Then I wanted 2 mini reeses cups (like I think an inch across), and I thought well fine I should give in to this small craving. Then I ended up eating all that plus ice-cream. I don't feel like I'm binging, and its not like all this food is the end of the world I just want to stop eating so late in the day where my body won't have time to process it.
So basically, do you guys have any tips for stopping night snacking?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference. If you want to eat more calories in the night time, adjust your calories during the day to make it work for you.
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    as huge fan of nutrient timing id say consuming sugary snacks at night before sleeping is pretty devestating all nutrients regardless if its fat or carbs if not used is ultimately stored by the body as fat so...eating carbs at night then going to sleep would suggest that all those carbs are almost certainly going to be stored for later use by the body theres no way it would just sit in your system and do nothing until you use it the next day our bodies are too good at storing energy for that...but im sure youll have plenty of arguments to say otherwise, everyones always looking for the solution they want to hear
  • RangerRN507
    Options
    oh i forgot to mention the solution...eat meals evenly spaced out throughout the day with complex carbs being your main source which will provide you a stable blood glucose throughout the day and you shouldnt crave much when you dont eat your glucose levels drop and cravings set in which is your bodies way of getting you to eat but if you stabalize that then it shouldnt be an issue, I eat 6-8 small meals a day and I NEVER crave food its pretty great
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    as huge fan of nutrient timing id say consuming sugary snacks at night before sleeping is pretty devestating all nutrients regardless if its fat or carbs if not used is ultimately stored by the body as fat so...eating carbs at night then going to sleep would suggest that all those carbs are almost certainly going to be stored for later use by the body theres no way it would just sit in your system and do nothing until you use it the next day our bodies are too good at storing energy for that...but im sure youll have plenty of arguments to say otherwise, everyones always looking for the solution they want to hear

No.
    Meal timing is personal preference.
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    oh i forgot to mention the solution...eat meals evenly spaced out throughout the day with complex carbs being your main source which will provide you a stable blood glucose throughout the day and you shouldnt crave much when you dont eat your glucose levels drop and cravings set in which is your bodies way of getting you to eat but if you stabalize that then it shouldnt be an issue, I eat 6-8 small meals a day and I NEVER crave food its pretty great

Again. No.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference. If you want to eat more calories in the night time, adjust your calories during the day to make it work for you.

The problem with this is we night snackers want food during the day too. haha
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    hi OP - what is your daily calorie allowance?
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Try to account for it. Keep some calories free for snack during the evenings. Either that look at your meals and see how you can make them more fulfilling.

Best thing to do is just not snack, so find something that keeps your mind engaged so you don't wind up bored and wondering to the fridge.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I too occasionally like an evening snack - aka dessert. Tonight I made a lovely orange-chocolate ganache for a topping to store bought vanilla ice cream.

What I do is plan ahead. This could mean fewer calories during me regular meals, but not fun. So I exercise more. I found that with planning ahead, I enjoy the desserts so much more and they just seem so much tastier. :happy:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would like to reiterate the people telling you its a personal preference. I lost 30 lbs eating anywhere from 400-1200 calories just before bed time.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I too occasionally like an evening snack - aka dessert. Tonight I made a lovely orange-chocolate ganache for a topping to store bought vanilla ice cream.

What I do is plan ahead. This could mean fewer calories during me regular meals, but not fun. So I exercise more. I found that with planning ahead, I enjoy the desserts so much more and they just seem so much tastier. :happy:
    I preplan my evening treats too. Excellent strategy, and it makes it easier to resist daytime temptations if you know you can have a nice dessert in the evening.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

The problem with this is we night snackers want food during the day too. haha

LOL. True! :laugh:

So I will answer the question about binging on a droolishious item the OP would otherwise prefer not to eat in copious quantities: if you can't control yourself around a food item, try to buy single servings from the store and not purchase in bulk. Certain items I buy from the grocery store are pretty much gone a day or two from purchase, regardless of quantity. So I try to buy a small quantity or not at all :laugh:
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I got back from work and just had a 1331 calorie meal at 1.30 am and I feel gooood...and may I add that I had one more meal before that after 18 hours of fasting or so.. I hope that explains..
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Can you teach yourself to enjoy vegetables as a late-night snack? I regularly munch on carrots and frozen peas late at night. Most of the time I don't even log them and it's never been a problem. Vegetables satisfy my craving to have something to chew, but don't ruin all my good progress of the day.
  • RangerRN507
    Options

No.

sure, go with this ^ who cares its not my body lol