Slimming World or my own way?

Options
Hi :)

I'm wanting to start eating better again to try to lose weight because once again I got out of the habit and gradually started eating worse which lead to me putting the weight I had lost straight back on! But i'm determined this time to keep going and am going to start up again once I've done a healthy shop this weekend.

I was just wondering which people thought would be best, whether I should follow slimming world's plan or just eat healthier in my own way? I really want it to work this time for me and do something I can stick to...does anyone have any advice?

Thanks !

Emma x

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would just use MFP!
  • nandana
    nandana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep, agree with TT - MFP is the way to go. I've dropped around 4 stone using MFP. The biggest difference? Education. You learn what you can/can't eat and WHY rather than just being told what to do.

Hope this helps.
  • l8mdn
    l8mdn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hiya, im joining slimming world next friday.
    I dont get out often enough with friends and even though the support from mfp is amazing, its good just knowing I have a weekly gathering with local people in the same position as me.
    I would recommend a meeting and if you've got a good understanding of what foods you should be eating, just do your own plan. I know its sort of silly paying £5 p/w but it gives me something to look forward to so if you feel the same definitely do it.
  • NatalieG525
    NatalieG525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was going to join SW, but then found a local "woman's bootcamp" fitness class which is £3 p/w. I decided that, being cheaper anyway, was worth the money. I couldn't really justify £5 PW on being weighed when I have found support on here :)
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you want to use Slimming World. If it's for the real life* support, then that's good. While MFP is awesome and a good friends list is superb support, I couldn't do this without the physical support my friends and family provide.

If it's because you think you will fail because you feel you need a structure in place, then I would consider looking round here and setting up your own structure. There's plenty of old hands who will help you, if you reach out. You'll learn a lot more about the whys and wherefores of setting a tailored nutritional plan and make it a permanent lifestyle change, rather than a temporary diet change.

If you go the latter route, I would also recommend setting up a good, solid, friendslist. One of folk who are at the same stage as you and ones who are further ahead in their journey. I've learned loads from mine and they are rather wonderful when it comes to motivation and virtual pom-pom waving!

(I also noted that Slimming World has the "free food" concept built into it as well, which is far too easy to abuse.)

* Not that I think that MFP is fantasy - it's just that there is a difference between the internet and meat space and some folk really benefit from the latter.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I never recommend joining these slimming programmes as they seem to dictate what you need to eat - a lot of the time they coincidentally recommend their own products (ahem, Weight Watchers), and it is all completely unnecessary.

I used MFP and pretty much ate what I want as when I went over my calorie allowance, I could just do exercise to compensate. So I lost weight despite what I am sure Weight Watchers would call frequent amounts of fatty foods (although not in reality). Yes, that's right, a 'diet' that allows me to eat pizza, the odd burger, chocolate or whatever... and it costs nothing.