slimfast or Not - what shake is best

Options
2»

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    My protein shake: 2 Scoops of 100% Whey Protein Powder, 2 Scoops Ovaltine, 1 Cup Fat Free, Lactose Free milk (I'm lactose intollerant) with just a few ice cubes.. blend it up... its YUMMY. It's like having a chocolate shake. I use the EAS powder I get from Target.
  • COliver416
    COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have never lost weight on Slimfast, but, we keep a bunch around the house because it's an excellent treatment when you're sick.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    slimfast shakes are nasty. you won't keep it up if you try them. eat real food. plan meals so the vegetables you have are the focus, rather than starting with breads or meats and adding veggies as sides.
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    Atkins shakes are great for low carb-
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use a protein powder and make my own. I typically use Unjury protein powders and usually have vanilla and chocolate in the house.

Breakfast is 1c nf greek yogurt, 1 scoop powder and 2TBs davinci sugar free syrup. For about 220 calories I get 43 grams of protein.

If I haven't hit my protein target for the day I may mix a scoop with 1 c skim milk. Again, tons of protein for less than 200 cal.

There are tons of things you can do to protein powders to have them in a variety of ways. They fill me up, and also fulfill any craving for sweets.
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Slimfast shakes just made me HANGRY. (Hungry + angry!) They tasted just ok, not all that pleasant. Kind of chalky. I'd much rather make my own smoothie or protein shake!
  • keeko40
    Options
    Hi, I have been drinking 1 Slim Fast Low Carb shake every morning and for lunch. Sensible dinner. My start weight 3 weeks ago was 160. I am down to 153 today. I could only find the low carb Slim Fast at Amazon.com
  • Cherylwelsh
    Cherylwelsh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like the EAS (chocolate fudge) carb control, it taste the best and is very filling. next on my list is Atkins low carb chocolate.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not.
    Slimfast, etc, is marketed on the idea that you can control your calories by replacing one or two meals a day with a pre-made shake. That's really not sustainable - the very idea of living like that makes me want to gnaw off my own arm and eat it.

As soon as you stop, you will regain any weight you lost.

In my house, shakes are for the times I know I need a protein boost, and like others here, I make my own. All you need is a blender, some whey protein, and your imagination (my fav is choc protein, water/fat free milk, berries, chia seeds).

Purchased protein bars have one purpose only - they get thrown in my purse/suitcase when I have to travel or it's going to be a long day running errands.

Learn to eat well and within a calorie deficit for weight loss, and you'll begin to see where you could use a good protein shake.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Whatever shake you can see yourself drinking for the rest of your life. It's a lifestyle change. I stick to a good old fashioned whey protein shake post workout.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Tried the Slimfast shakes many many years ago. It was not a successful endeavor.

Now I make my own protein shakes and use the EAS brand.

I know what's in it!
  • kelseyjsnyder
    kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was given some Plexus Slim that i drink 30 minutes before breakfast. It has helped me cut my junk food out and i feel full faster and all day. Its not really a shake its a drink mix you add to water but it doesnt replace a meal so you dont have to feel that still hungry feeling. :)
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    um the one where you get a blender and some fruit and veggie's and then make that wheeerrrrr-ing sound with them and drink that instead... and then eat food, you know the kind you chew...
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I like and drink the Slimfast "High Protein" pre-made shakes. (mostly chocolate)

They have a better mix of nutrients, IMO. Lots of protein, very few carbs, enough fat.

Be careful replacing meals with things that are not meals or formulated as "meal replacements".

You need certain nutrients and there are other things to consider like fat - there are some studies that 7+ grams of fat in a meal can protect you from gallbladder issues (common during large diets) if you get enough fat to fully empty your gallbladder.
  • BreeJaxon
    BreeJaxon Posts: 128
    Options
    There are 2 things that I use to kind of supplement or use as mid meals and they work really well for me :) They are both from Sprouts, the first is called Metabolic Reset and the 2nd is just a Whey protein. I drink both of them with fat free milk to get my protein and it's a great way to cut calories!!!