Lots of Exercising, Healthy Eating, Gaining Weight?!?!

Options

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    your calorie allowance is way too low which could be why you are gaining. your body may be in starvation mode as you are not feeding it enough so it will cling onto whatever it can. up your calorie allowance and try to eat a couple of hundred cals below it. you should lose then

This is why when people starve to death, they leave extremely obese corpses.

In all seriousness, there's a problem in the equation somewhere. It's usually a problem with underestimating calories and overestimating exercise.
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options
    upping your calories may make things slower but easier to maintain after you finish :)

Some times more calories are what your body needs as it is in starvation mode (and that's fadvice rom a friend who has just qualified as a dr)
  • DeeGreen1978
    DeeGreen1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    your calorie allowance is way too low which could be why you are gaining. your body may be in starvation mode as you are not feeding it enough so it will cling onto whatever it can. up your calorie allowance and try to eat a couple of hundred cals below it. you should lose then

This is why when people starve to death, they leave extremely obese corpses.

In all seriousness, there's a problem in the equation somewhere. It's usually a problem with underestimating calories and overestimating exercise.

I understand calories which is how ive managed to lose 16lbs. what I meant was go up to about 1400 cals but you don't have to eat that many. I eat about 1300 on days when ive not exercised and 1500 on days when I have (though more when ive been horse riding)
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Your calories are down, and so is your metabolism, especially with the work out. Either increase the daily intake or look into carb cycling to reset your metabolism.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    No. You are not gaining muscle on 1000 calories a day... you can take that one to the bank. If anything... you're losing it by working out like a crazy person and not giving your body any fuel. Stop doing so much cardio. I would estimate your body probably burns atleast 1200 calories AT REST.... so you need to atleast give it that much. Factor in your every day activities, you could eat 1200 calories/day and be at a deficit WITH NO WORKOUT. If you want to work out... you have to eat what you burn to stay at a moderate deficit. If you want to retain your muscle and continue to do cardio you HAVE to do weight training.. and you HAVE to get lots of protein to repair the muscles after a workout.

Trust me... I've been there, done that. Until you understand the SCIENCE of weight loss you will not lose. Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women.... it explains everything in a very easy to understand why and you'll see why everything you're doing right now is wrong. Good luck.

Agreed!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My mother is a doctor and she said that it was because I'm retaining water and building muscle

....your mother needs some CME
    ....and maybe a good malpractice lawyer.

Most doctors know diddly squat about fitness and nutrition ... Furthermore, not every doctor, knows everything about every part of the body, that's why they have specialties ..
  • Annalisa_87
    Annalisa_87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too. Turned out I was losing fat, but gaining muscle, ehich of course weighs more than fat :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too. Turned out I was losing fat, but gaining muscle, ehich of course weighs more than fat :)

Can't gain muscle through starving oneself. The OP is underweight.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Your body is no doubt in starvation mode. You have got to eat more than 1000 cals a day! Plus, if you're working out, YOU ARE gaining muscle weight! But please, eat more than that and you'll the pounds come off. DO YOUR TDEE and eat at that level. I swear, I promise you that you will lose weight! You've got to put in to get out! Starving your body like you are is making your body think "Oh hey, I need this fat, she's quit feeding me what I need. I will need this fat later." So it hold on to that fat and stores it away. That is starvation mode. You will be fine at eating more cals and will LOSE more WEIGHT and GAIN more muscle as long as you are exercising. Muscle is leaner, so take your measurements to keep track of how much you lose. Don't go by the scale so much!
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My mother is a doctor and she said that it was because I'm retaining water and building muscle

Most doctors know diddly squat about fitness and nutrition ... Furthermore, not every doctor, knows everything about every part of the body, that's why they have specialties ..

Well, her mother isn't entirely wrong. She could be gaining muscle from exercising and if she's not drinking enough water, she really could be retaining water weight. ....BUT, your mom should know that if you're eating at 1000 cals a day, you need to bump up the cals. THAT, she should know. Nobody should ever eat below 1200 and eating at 1200 is for basically morbidly obese people. But it's definitely a step up from 1000
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Your body is no doubt in starvation mode. You have got to eat more than 1000 cals a day! Plus, if you're working out, YOU ARE gaining muscle weight! But please, eat more than that and you'll the pounds come off. DO YOUR TDEE and eat at that level. I swear, I promise you that you will lose weight! You've got to put in to get out! Starving your body like you are is making your body think "Oh hey, I need this fat, she's quit feeding me what I need. I will need this fat later." So it hold on to that fat and stores it away. That is starvation mode. You will be fine at eating more cals and will LOSE more WEIGHT and GAIN more muscle as long as you are exercising. Muscle is leaner, so take your measurements to keep track of how much you lose. Don't go by the scale so much!

You can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit, and definitely not eating 1000 calories. Either the OP is retaining water from exercise, or she got tired of starving herself and binged on carbs, resulting in retaining water. Or she's not really eating 1000 calories.
  • travelingsurgeon
    Options
    My mom doesn't know I eat that little calories... But thank you all for your suggestions!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Well, her mother isn't entirely wrong. She could be gaining muscle from exercising and if she's not drinking enough water, she really could be retaining water weight. ....BUT, your mom should know that if you're eating at 1000 cals a day, you need to bump up the cals. THAT, she should know. Nobody should ever eat below 1200 and eating at 1200 is for basically morbidly obese people. But it's definitely a step up from 1000

No, no she couldn't. OP isn't eating enough to actually gain mass.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

No, no she couldn't. OP isn't eating enough to actually gain mass.
    Agreed
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My mom doesn't know I eat that little calories... But thank you all for your suggestions!

Then please get help before this spirals into a health emergency. Eating disorders are not worth it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Then please get help before this spirals into a health emergency. Eating disorders are not worth it.
    Absolutely
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't feel that any of us should be helping you try to sort out your metabolism or how to lose weight. At the least, I encourage you to seek guidance from someone qualified in understanding the needs of your body, so they can teach you to understand what your body needs. If there are body image or emotional factors contributing to you eating so little, I hope you see a therapist or a doctor.
  • 2GoAwayPounds
    2GoAwayPounds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristina, I think you are not eating enough...please check out this site..IIFYM...this stands for If It Fits Your Macros...there are calculators on that site...it will show you how many calories a day you should eat factoring in your age, height, weight and all that exercise....if you starve your body it will not release fat it will hold onto every thing you eat....I am not an expert and certainly not a doctor like your mom, but I am certain that you should be eating more than you are...try it for a week or two and see how you do...wishing you all the best
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hi Kristina, I think you are not eating enough...please check out this site..IIFYM...this stands for If It Fits Your Macros...there are calculators on that site...it will show you how many calories a day you should eat factoring in your age, height, weight and all that exercise....if you starve your body it will not release fat it will hold onto every thing you eat....I am not an expert and certainly not a doctor like your mom, but I am certain that you should be eating more than you are...try it for a week or two and see how you do...wishing you all the best
    She is already at the very low end (BMI is 17 something). She doesn't really need to "release" any fat, imho.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    probably gaining muscles. youre underweight anyway so the gain is probably your body trying to get healthy. at 5'6" you should weight 130