can't stop eating after workouts!

Options
Hi there,

Whenever I start weight training/pilates/deep muscle work (as opposed to straight cardio) I find that I become ravenous. I can pace myself throughout the day, but at night I just can't feel satisfied. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    more protein and fat
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal? Are you hitting your protein and fat goals? What are your fitness goals - lose fat, gain strength, build muscle?
  • jberk4
    jberk4 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Calorie goal on workout days is under 1500. The goal is to lose fat first, then build muscle.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are hydrated. Drink before, after, and during your workouts.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    A quick google search will give you some tips on the best foods to eat before and after workouts. Perhaps you're not eating the right things. Eating a small snack before your workout could also help prevent this.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I always eat something right after a high intensity workout (weights and cardio), even if just a glass of milk, always something. Try cheese, yogurt, something with high protein within about half an hour of your workout.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Calorie goal on workout days is under 1500. The goal is to lose fat first, then build muscle.

Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    As you activity increases, so does your calorie requirements...even to lose. Exercise, and more intense exercise in particular requires proper fueling. It is likely that you are inadequately fueling your body and are probably not fueling it with the proper fuel.
  • jtyler83
    jtyler83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you are using tdee approach to weight loss, then don't eat extra on workout days. Honestly I used to have the same problem. I think you'll get used to it after a while.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein and fat as previously mentioned- make you feel fuller and help build them muscles even though thats not your current goal its always a good thing. Also- since you know this is a regular thing you can always adjust your day to go along with it, try to eat lighter durring the day and that way after your workout you have plenty of calories to work with.