"the pill"

Options
So I started back on the pill last Sunday. I ate really well and faithfully exercised but still gained weight. I am taking the LoEstrin brand because I was still nursing when I got the prescription. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it make a difference what brand you take? I supose any weight gain with the pill will be less then if I get pregnant again but still i rather not have any gian from it. Any input that could help me out?

Replies

• VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So I started back on the pill last Sunday. I ate really well and faithfully exercised but still gained weight. I am taking the LoEstrin brand because I was still nursing when I got the prescription. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it make a difference what brand you take? I supose any weight gain with the pill will be less then if I get pregnant again but still i rather not have any gian from it. Any input that could help me out?
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    LoEstrin was the worst thing I did to my body. Hate. That. Pill.

It made me nauseated. It made me moody. It also stopped my period from coming, which made me think I was pregnant every freakin' month. I took it for 6 months and stopped taking it in May. Period came back like a mothu trucka.:grumble:
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    I tried taking Bc pill after my first child and the same thing happened.. I gained a lot of weight..I think it was all waterweight. I remember my Dr saying it is almost like a sponge that will hold on to water..and then when you go off it.... you lose that waterweight quickly...which happened to me. There were other reasons behind my reasons for stopping the pill ..headaches, stomach aches, mood swings.. but weight was a big factor ! There are other options if you don't want to be on the pill too..something to talk about with your dr of course!
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I had too much water weight and emotional insanity while on the pill to use it. I hope you find something that works for you.
  • Reesy
    Reesy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking Loestrin and I'm experiencing that same thing right now. I'm about to switch to Nuvaring because I have to be on birth control for other health reasons. I'm frustrated but I'm going to keep going at it. I think it's most water weight but I can tell there is an increase in my appetite. I've only been on it for one month and starting tomorrow I make the switch. My doctor says I need to give it a couple of months for my body to adjust. I will say....I'm way too vain to keep taking it. So, if there is no difference in my weight with my calorie counting and working out.....it has to go. :laugh:
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    Options
    I recently started back on bc and found the same thing was happening to me. I have been exercising religiously, eating right, and drinking all my water, but I have still gained weight for the past 2 weeks. I suggest talking to your doctor. I'm taking Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo and while it's not making me as moody as other pills have it's still wreaking havoc every time I step on the scale.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I recently started back on bc and found the same thing was happening to me. I have been exercising religiously, eating right, and drinking all my water, but I have still gained weight for the past 2 weeks. I suggest talking to your doctor. I'm taking Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo and while it's not making me as moody as other pills have it's still wreaking havoc every time I step on the scale.

I take this pill as well. I haven't had any kids yet, but I can tell that I hold so much water since I have started it about 2 yrs ago.
  • bleachcse
    bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I used to take the pill, but I can't now because of a blood clotting disorder that I have, so I use an IUD. It's been so wonderful. I never have to worry about forgetting and it doesn't affect my weight at all.
  • ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    When my son was small I tried the depo provera shot that you get every 3 months. Every time I would go back to get another shot I was 10 pounds heavier. Then I tried the norplant that you have put in your arm that lasts for 5 years and that was even worse. I didn't start to lose weight till after I got off of birth control. Last year my hubby and I decided that we did not want any more children so he went and had a vasectomy. It is so nice not having to worry about bc anymore.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I have tried pills I have seen friends try the iud I just dont do any of it anymore there is more side effects than it's worth.

I hope you feel better.
  • Christine30412
    Options
    I was on the pill for a while and I swithced to the Nuva Ring, mostly for convienence, but now I hate it. When I go back to the dr, I am going to go back on the pill. I gained almost 25 pounds this year from the Nuva Ring.
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    amazing what we have to go through being girls huh!!!!!
  • katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Options
    I havent taken the pill in years but I was on ortho tri cyclen for about 1 year or so when I was16/17 and as soon as I stopped taking the pill, I lost like 20lbs!!

I have currently been on the depo shot since Feb 2007, but just last week decided to stop the shots and not be on any b/c. The gyno and my weight loss doctor suggested if I wanted maximum weight loss to temporarily suspend my b/c and just be extra cautious if I have sex. Since Feb 2007 to July this year I gained about 15lbs.

But, I am currently retaining ALOT of water - about 3lbs worth, and its driving me nuts!! Does anyone have any suggestions how to reduce the amount of water I retain during the one week each month??
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I dunno, ladies, call me a kooky extremist, but are not these ill side effects and symptoms telling you all something? These pills are SO OBVIOUSLY not good for you all. There are worse things than having kids, you know--
  • JayEm47
    JayEm47 Posts: 49
    Options
    i just got back on the pill this month. im taking yaz. not only have i gained weight but ive had my period for 3 weeks now. 3 weeks of cramps bloating and mood swings lol. im about ready to kill myself :tongue: im actually calling my doctor today to see if i can switch pills. i used to be on ortho tri-cyclen low and i liked that much more.
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking Loestrin and I'm experiencing that same thing right now. I'm about to switch to Nuvaring because I have to be on birth control for other health reasons.

I'm on the Nuvaring and I love it.. I don't know if it has anything to do with weight gain.. I think that's my own doing... :grumble:

I like being able to put the ring in and forget about bc until it's time to take it out.

I tried the copper IUD and that was a nightmare... I was on my period more than I was off... hubby didn't like that too much... not much use in having bc if you can't ever do the deed!
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use the Mirena IUD. Put it in and it stays for 5 years. Love it.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Birth control pills are horrible for causing weight gain, usually water retention.

If any of you are lookin in to other options...I am on Yasmin for PCOD and of course it's normal use....and I haven't had the weight gain issue and am able to lose weight. Not sure if that's cause it's me but it may be worth a shot for those wanting to be on the pill. They also just came out with a generic version so it doesn't kill your wallet.
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This is the funniest SNL clip related to the pill-"once yearly period" good for a laugh, I am sure we can all relate!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=29020099
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wow! i thought I would get a couple of responses but had no idea that I would get so many in such a short period of time (no pun intended). As one response said there are worse things than having kids which is so completely true. I love my two little pumpkins but my they are only 20 months apart and so I would like a little more time between if I am blessed to have another one. And for those of you who have even less time between children, God bless you.

There was another good point brought up. If there are this many side effects for so many women, then why are we doing it??? I guess I will do some research and see just what all of the options are and what they may do to my body. I might have to keep better track of those few "risky" days and make my husband use the rubber. After all the whole reason I love this website is because it is helping me put my health at the top of the list and I don't want birth control to get in the way if it doesn't have to.