Lifting (leg day) and running problem

Options
Hi all. I'd like some feedback on lifting and running, in particular - I'm having a "leg day" dilema. I love lifting and I love running. My problem is the DOMS that will last for days after a leg day and affect my runs. What do you all do with leg day and upcoming runs.... days off after legs... short runs after leg day... stretching... I've tried several different approaches to no avail. My upper body is coming along nicely with muscle definition and I'd like to see the same in my legs but almost feel like I have to give up leg day in order to continue my running... help!!!!!!

Replies

• nikkiclaire123
    Options
    i run straight after lifting, my trainer told me to do that to get a faster 5km. but i never ever get DOMS.

maybe run then lift on the same day
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I train legs three times a week, not only one day, so I have three leg days. I'm on 5x5 program. I also do not train to failure. Like that I can recover faster and not have DOMS like if I would work harder but only one week a day. Have you considered doing legs more often with less work in your workouts rather than hitting them hard only once a week? Like that your recovery will be faster, I'm pretty sure of it.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Depends on my schedule for the week. Sometimes I'll do a short easy run (3ish miles) before legs as a warm up. I've also run on the treadmill after; it sort of mimics the feeling of the end of a long run, without the long run. Sometimes I'll run through the DOMS the next day, and just keep it as an easy pace. I just try to make sure to keep a couple of days between my heavy leg day, speedwork, and my long run.
    I should add that I really had to increasing my running endurance has been key to make this work.
  • Gmajodster
    Gmajodster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    **** Ainar.....LOL never thought of adding more legs to my week - afraid to try it! but I will. So I would do a full body circuit three days a week rather that split routine? I run 3 days a week and lift 3 days a week - one day rest....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I do full body so I hit legs to some capacity 3x weekly.

How long have you been lifting? I get pretty mild DOMs these days unless I've missed lifting sessions. i don't run, but I cycle and don't really have any issues unless I'm really trying to put in the miles and training for an event. When I'm training for an event and in particular, when I'm close and having to put in tons of mileage, I back off of my leg work for awhile. What kind of mileage are you hitting?
  • Gmajodster
    Options
    ***Ka97 - I've been running through the DOMS but they last for several days. Hard to believe I have such pain with my lower body and not as much with upper body... I have considered doing legs the same day as my long run... just not sure how much I'll be able to put into it at that point
  • Gmajodster
    Options
    ***cwolfman13... I have been lifting for about a year and a half... took a break over the summer when I was training for a marathon.. now getting back into it again. Hmmm.. maybe I should be doing a full body lift three days a week rather than so much legs all in one day? I don't have issues with my upper body even though I feel I'm pushing myself just as hard... to failure, etc...
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Can you be a bit more specific about your running program? NikkiClaire gave great advice in terms of running directly after a workout unless you are doing a serious running program. If your long run days are more than 10k or 15k then I would probably say do legs on the day after your long run. Normally you would be doing a short, easy run on the day after just to keep the blood flowing anyway. Actually, you know what... disregard all of that. I'm making the same mistake with that advice that so many people make. Back up...

What's the goal? The first rule, and the one I always forget, is to train the muscle and not the movement. If your goal is to get back into marathon shape then you definitely need to do leg day after your long run day. If the goal is more geared to gym work, and you are running because you love to run and it's great exercise, then structure your running around the muscle building in the gym. If that's the case then you probably aren't doing super long runs so it doesn't really matter all that much. The best advice in that scenario is to remember how incredibly important it is to have short, easy run days, or "recovery runs" as I used to call them. Those are critical to improvement if all you are doing is running. If you're doing running + weights then they are mandatory. If the goal isn't event specific ( marathon training, breaking a squat PR ), then set it up so that you have your longest run before leg day and your recovery run the day after leg day.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I put my leg day on Monday morning (everyone else in every gym across the world is doing chest that day)

Monday evening I may just need to stretch slightly but not really feeling anything bad at that point.
    Wed I need to stretch a bit more before my run but early in the week the runs are easy anyway. It all ramps up on Thursday and my legs feel great by then.

My routine looks like this:
    Monday A.M. strength leg day
    Monday P.M. recovery run

Tuesday AM strength upper body day
    rest day for running

Wed. AM rest day for lifting
    Wed. PM Easy run day

Thurs: AM Hypertrophy Shoulder/back
    Thurs: PM Run - ramped up intensity

Fri: AM Chest and arm hypertrophy
    rest day for running

Sat: Rest day for lifting
    Long run day

Sun: Rest
  • Gmajodster
    Options
    ***bl1ndf1sh.... great question to which I'm not sure of the answer. I do not want to do another marathon - did one in May and one in September - that is enough for me. I will continue to do half marathons. My long runs will be anywhere from 8 - 10 miles. I enjoy that distance the most. My legs are not bothering me on my long runs as I have been doing legs on Mondays and long runs on Saturdays; however, they are so sore even on my short runs (5 miles) on Tuesdays and still sore on Thursdays run as well. I suppose my goal ultimately is to continue with running averaging 23 miles per week and at the same time gain some muscle and see some definition in my legs. I do run a mile or two after lifting on M-W-F. those are usually interval runs.. speed/hills, etc.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Do them the same day. Kind of sucks if you're like me and don't like taking days off, but that's usually my game plan-- run to the gym, lift, run home after.
  • Gmajodster
    Options
    ****ElliotTN - what are your distances running... I am a morning runner/lifter... cannot do two a day workouts - although I'd love to.... but ...family, etc...

Are you sore on Wednesday on your run? Maybe everyone feels the same thing I am and I just need to suck it up.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'd like some feedback on lifting and running, in particular - I'm having a "leg day" dilema. I love lifting and I love running. My problem is the DOMS that will last for days after a leg day and affect my runs. What do you all do with leg day and upcoming runs.... days off after legs... short runs after leg day... stretching... I've tried several different approaches to no avail. My upper body is coming along nicely with muscle definition and I'd like to see the same in my legs but almost feel like I have to give up leg day in order to continue my running... help!!!!!!

I love to run and lift too! What I do is alternate those heavy days. If my legs are really sore which happens occasionally I'll move my longer run to another day. For example, monster leg day for me was Tuesday. For New Years Years, I did a totally body workout but I also did a lot of walking. I planned to do a six miler today but want it to feel right, so I'll do it tomorrow and do an upper body workout today instead this way my legs rest a little. Make sure you warm up before your workout and stretch afterward.

My schedule:

Monday - Run (3.5 miles), leg circuit, and stairmaster.
    Tuesday - Monster leg day (weight training)
    Wednesday - Run (4.5 miles), leg circuit, and stairmaster
    Thursday - Upper body workout (weight training)
    Friday - Run, leg circuit (6.5 miles)
    Saturday- Total body (weight training) or Long run
    Sunday- Total body (weight training) or Long run or rest ;-)
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    What does your schedule look like now?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    ****ElliotTN - what are your distances running... I am a morning runner/lifter... cannot do two a day workouts - although I'd love to.... but ...family, etc...

Are you sore on Wednesday on your run? Maybe everyone feels the same thing I am and I just need to suck it up.

Its marathon training time for me right now. I've reset my training to a marathon in April so my long runs are just ramping up again but I was working a similar schedule before with long runs of 15+ and it scheduling was working fine for it.

As for Wed. Not so much sore but more just tight at that point. Once I get past the first mile than my legs really unlock themselves and it feels really really good.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    ***bl1ndf1sh.... great question to which I'm not sure of the answer. I do not want to do another marathon - did one in May and one in September - that is enough for me. I will continue to do half marathons. My long runs will be anywhere from 8 - 10 miles. I enjoy that distance the most. My legs are not bothering me on my long runs as I have been doing legs on Mondays and long runs on Saturdays; however, they are so sore even on my short runs (5 miles) on Tuesdays and still sore on Thursdays run as well. I suppose my goal ultimately is to continue with running averaging 23 miles per week and at the same time gain some muscle and see some definition in my legs. I do run a mile or two after lifting on M-W-F. those are usually interval runs.. speed/hills, etc.

I would definitely try sliding Leg Day to the day immediately after your longest run, with a recovery run the following day. Failing that, do your long run on Saturday, throw in a recovery run on Sunday, Legs on Monday, and recovery run again on Tuesday. In my experience, the worst thing you can do after stressing your legs ( either long run or Leg day ), is taking a day off. It sounds like you're recovering fine from your long runs, so maybe turn that Tuesday run into a slow 2 miler just to recover. Like really slow. Like a full 90 seconds per mile slower than your long distance pace. Remember, work the muscle not the movement.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I only lift twice a week right, both times full body.

Monday - rest

Tuesday - long run

Wednesday - Lift

Thursday - short run

Friday - lift

Saturday - active "rest" day

Sunday - short run

So far this schedule is working great for me, my long runs are up to about 7 miles and I don't have any problems. Even if I get DOMS from lifting, it's cleared up by my long run.
  • paulinecardinalmitchell
    Options
    Hi I just learned about this messaging board and I have been running for over a year. Last year was my first ever running road races. I have run 5k's, 10k's Mud Run, and a half marathon. Since April I have been running (training) and lifting weights. I run on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday (Saturdays were cross training or race days) (Wednesday are my cross training days or a tempo day if I missed one. On Tuesday's and Thursdays I run 3 to 6 miles then I would lift. I do both my upper body, core and legs on the same day. My question is that to much? I have not gotten injured and I did very well on my races but I do feel tightness in the back of my legs when I am running mostly after I have gone about 5 miles. Should I be resting more or is this a good schedule for me. I am 49 years old and just lost 140 in the past year and a half. Thanks
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I always do a short, slowish "recovery" run the day after legs. 2 miles or less. It will actually 90% cure the DOMS- works when you have back DOMS too.

But I have even better news for you- if you stick with the lifting, you'll stop getting DOMS except for occasionally.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I would definitely try sliding Leg Day to the day immediately after your longest run, with a recovery run the following day.
    [/quote]

I have to strongly disagree with this. At best you would be impacting how well you lift. At worst you are risking injury. Keep at least one rest day, or easy recovery day, or cross training day in between.

Monday as a heavy leg day, and Saturday as a long run day is probably a good schedule. I'm not sure how long you have been lifting, but the DOMS from lifting should subside as you lift more.