lifting to build muscle with restrictions

Options
I have a lifting restriction of 20 lbs. because of my back. I'd like to try to do something to tone up my arms and legs, but I can't use weights while standing/lunging/squatting. Are there lifting exercises I can do while lying on the floor that will build up those muscles? I have 10 and 20 lb hand weights, if I use those, what kind of exercises could I do and how many reps would I need to do to build up some muscle?

Also, how do I count the calories burned.. last time I logged strength training I noticed MFP doesn't add calories for that.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    What sort of back problem?

Can you do pull ups/chin ups / push ups?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    What sort of back problem?

Can you do pull ups/chin ups / push ups?

I had a two-level diskectomy with fusion 10 years ago, and a partial diskectomy with laminectomy 3 years ago. I have degenerative disk disease. I have done push ups (girl style on my knees because I've noticed pain in my back doing the old-fashioned toes way). I don't know about pull ups, I always sucked at them even back in HS and don't have a bar.
  • brianages
    Options
    Great topic! I have the same issue but still use free weights, bands, bowflex, ankle weights, wrist weights, and a big Gold's gyn ball for situps.

The band system is inexpensive and multi-functional. If you search youtube it will show various excercises. I am no expert but I am making headway with these items.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Great topic! I have the same issue but still use free weights, bands, bowflex, ankle weights, wrist weights, and a big Gold's gyn ball for situps.

The band system is inexpensive and multi-functional. If you search youtube it will show various excercises. I am no expert but I am making headway with these items.

I can't do situps, so ab exercises are tough... but the bands... like the ones used for PT, I'm assuming. Do you have to do a lot of reps for the resistance to equal what you'd gain with weights?
  • brianages
    Options
    Walmart offers a couple varieties. "Perfect Band" has a kit with (if I remember) a 10 and 15 pound band, handles, door retraint, and a bag. You can also add a couple of bands off the shelf and they vary from 20-35 in resistance. They can be combined to create any combination of weight.

I use it on my office door, step on it and pull, lie on the floor and do legs, etc...

A video will really help you. It is fun just make sure the band is secure if you restrain one end and pull on the other. If not the band will slap you into next week (happened to me). It was funny as hell but also hurt like hell.
  • GetSoda
    Options

I can't do situps, so ab exercises are tough... but the bands... like the ones used for PT, I'm assuming. Do you have to do a lot of reps for the resistance to equal what you'd gain with weights?

Unfortunately, more weight is the only way to really get the same workout. If you can do more than 12-14 reps of something, it stops being strength training and is basically just endurance work.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycIaSswNSNo

dont know if this video is any good but i do agree with him that weight lifting after having any kind spinal surgery is something you should bring up with your doctor since they would have a better idea of the do's and dont's, also you could see if you could find a trainer with post spinal surgery experance... your phyisical thearpy office should be able to help with that one.
  • mccindy72
    Options

dont know if this video is any good but i do agree with him that weight lifting after having any kind spinal surgery is something you should bring up with your doctor since they would have a better idea of the do's and dont's, also you could see if you could find a trainer with post spinal surgery experance... your phyisical thearpy office should be able to help with that one.

My physical therapist was the one who advised I do any free weights on the floor lying down. I've done some stuff, I'm just not sure what would be effective. If I use the 20 lb weights I have I can't do that many reps, so that might qualify as strength training?
  • GetSoda
    Options

My physical therapist was the one who advised I do any free weights on the floor lying down. I've done some stuff, I'm just not sure what would be effective. If I use the 20 lb weights I have I can't do that many reps, so that might qualify as strength training?

Laying down on the floor, benching dumbbels (called a floor press) make sure your legs are BENT and you don't push down on your feet. Pull your scapula together, and focus keeping the weight there. That's what I did when my low back was freshly injured.

Once you can do, say, 12 reps with the weights, pick the next size weight and do 8 reps. Then next workout 9, then 10, 11, 12, then up the weight again.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I have a lifting restriction of 20 lbs. because of my back. I'd like to try to do something to tone up my arms and legs, but I can't use weights while standing/lunging/squatting. Are there lifting exercises I can do while lying on the floor that will build up those muscles? I have 10 and 20 lb hand weights, if I use those, what kind of exercises could I do and how many reps would I need to do to build up some muscle?

Also, how do I count the calories burned.. last time I logged strength training I noticed MFP doesn't add calories for that.
    Building muscle requires progressive overload along with a higher caloric intake (can't add muscle without adding weight). Since you are limited, the chances of muscle gain will be very minute. It's going to be tough toning up your leg muscles if you can't put body weight on them (with the exception of walking around).
    I would say that joining a fitness facility with access to a leg press, leg extension and a seated hamstring curl machine would give you a better shot because at least you can use decent resistance without compromising your back issue.

EDIT: just read you have degenerative back issues. So make sure to consult you PT if this is a rout you think you can do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mccindy72
    Options

Building muscle requires progressive overload along with a higher caloric intake (can't add muscle without adding weight). Since you are limited, the chances of muscle gain will be very minute. It's going to be tough toning up your leg muscles if you can't put body weight on them (with the exception of walking around).
    I would say that joining a fitness facility with access to a leg press, leg extension and a seated hamstring curl machine would give you a better shot because at least you can use decent resistance without compromising your back issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

so do you think that since I have trouble meeting my calorie goal each day, I won't be able to add any muscle? I do add in some Ensure high protein shakes, trying to add calories, but it's still tough to hit my calories for the day. If I can't join a fitness club, do you think kneeling with weight behind my knees and lifting, or lying on my side with weights on the side of my thighs will help? And will squats and lunges do any building if I can't add weight?
  • LeonardoLJR
    LeonardoLJR Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy, lunges and squats without weights can help add muscle to your legs and strengthen your core, depending on your current leg strength, core conditioning, and diet. It's also very easy to get your heart rate up doing this type of exercise, so calories melt like butter too.

I think the reason why your therapist is limiting your range of motion on upper body is because once you bring your elbows below your chest, the angle from your wrist, shoulder, and elbow lowers so you change your center of gravity putting more pressure towards your lower back. If you want to better leverage and isolate your arms with free weights, do preacher curls for biceps.

As a rule of thumb, if you struggle with any weights, doing 6-8 reps., then you still have room to build muscle with that weight. As someone else suggested, once you get to 12 reps. and can get a few sets out of the way, you'd have to move up to a higher weight to continue strength/muscle building. You're not going to burn much calories doing that type of workout though, but use a heart rate monitor to count how many calories you burn at that time and add it as Cardio conditioning on MFP. Overall, my weight loss has been pretty accurate with my personal overall calorie count. Since I focus on training, I do both cardio and lifting. I've managed to visibly add hamstring muscle on a maintenance level diet, slightly reduce body fat% and maintain my weight, although I attribute that mainly to my diet and eating habits. I'm always having to make slight adjustments though.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Hi Cindy, lunges and squats without weights can help add muscle to your legs and strengthen your core, depending on your current leg strength, core conditioning, and diet. It's also very easy to get your heart rate up doing this type of exercise, so calories melt like butter too.

I think the reason why your therapist is limiting your range of motion on upper body is because once you bring your elbows below your chest, the angle from your wrist, shoulder, and elbow lowers so you change your center of gravity putting more pressure towards your lower back. If you want to better leverage and isolate your arms with free weights, do preacher curls for biceps.

As a rule of thumb, if you struggle with any weights, doing 6-8 reps., then you still have room to build muscle with that weight. As someone else suggested, once you get to 12 reps. and can get a few sets out of the way, you'd have to move up to a higher weight to continue strength/muscle building. You're not going to burn much calories doing that type of workout though, but use a heart rate monitor to count how many calories you burn at that time and add it as Cardio conditioning on MFP. Overall, my weight loss has been pretty accurate with my personal overall calorie count. Since I focus on training, I do both cardio and lifting. I've managed to visibly add hamstring muscle on a maintenance level diet, slightly reduce body fat% and maintain my weight, although I attribute that mainly to my diet and eating habits. I'm always having to make slight adjustments though.

thank you, that will help quite a bit!
  • sanjidabdjsr
    Options
    grfr
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have nerve damage that flares if my traps take too much load (even just picking up a heavy barbell, using other muscles to do so), so I do most of my arm/chest work on the floor to be in positions that reduce that. They are mainly isolation lifts, but that's kind of the point for me :D The dumbbell pullover is a great compound lift, though (and there are ways to take the traps mostly out of it, but you don't sound like you need that). Mine's upper back and yours is lower, so YMMV.

But you can do all sorts of heavy dumbbell moves on the floor for upper body. Usually, if you can do it on a flat bench you can pretty much do it on the floor. If you can raise yourself up a bit from the floor while still supporting your spine, you can get a fuller ROM for things like flyes.

Just google around. There are so many possibilities! Read up on the pointers and pitfalls of each exercise on more than one site after you find it, though, and pass it by your PT! Good luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

(1) Body weight lunges and squats will not add muscle.
    (2) HRM's are only considered accurate for a steady state of cardio, not for lifting weights. Any directions that come with a HRM will tell you this.