lazy, motivation, n trying to get started

Options
DD0pe
DD0pe Posts: 34 Member
i wanted to write this post as early as possible. Hello Everyone and thank you for clicking my message post. i will get straight into my subject. i need help I'm lazy like crazy lazy i can be in bed a lllllllll day and not even think or hint to think about working out and then i read all my MFP wall post burning all 300- 1200 calories in 45 mins… and I'm like ok ok tomorrow that will be me lol yea right.

my main problem is i don't like to sweat once i feel the heat forming on my back or arms i stop . i hate absolutely hate sweating is there any advice anyone can help me with getting over my hatred for sweating please !!!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    First off, could there be a reason you feel like you could stay in bed all day? Depression maybe, or have you ever been tested for hypothyroid disease?

Assuming no to any depression or medical condition, I feel like maybe something like a fitbit or a bodymedia fit could be a good investment for you to get started. It counts all of your daily activity- like walking around your house- towards your goals- essentially encouraging you to increase your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) and you could earn exercise calories all day by moving more without sweating.

In the meantime, I would encourage you to set reasonable, small goals to get moving- like a 15 minute walk everyday. It will be a major help to your motivation just to get moving every day, even if it's not a full out sweaty workout.
  • DD0pe
    Options
    no i am not depressed, as far as in clinically umm…. yes i walk around my house but I'm not amp to go work out cause i don't like to sweat i want to find work out routines or regimes that is affective but i don't sweat as much.. i figured you mainly sweat when your doing cardio
  • lilndnfeather22
    lilndnfeather22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    how about swimming? or working out in front of a fan? I too hate being sweaty or sticky but have gotten used to it and wear a baggier shirt. what about something like yoga?
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Either you want it or you don't. Either you'll get over your hatred of sweating (which is just an excuse) or you won't. None of us can do a thing for you. How badly do you want to reach your goals?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    No.
  • kristylc79
    kristylc79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am glad to know I am not the only person in the world who HATES to sweat! I think it is disgusting... I feel gross. I lost 100 pounds over the last 3 years, but gained nearly 50 back in the last 7 mos because of an injury. So I am back at it again, this time I am starting in the pool while my knee injury heals.

I've never got over the hatred of sweat. However... it is a fact of working out. I wear light loose clothing in cotton, to absorb the sweat. Forget that sweat wicking crap, it just leaves the sweat on you. I keep a towel with me ALL the time. Wiping my face, arms, neck, etc any place that bothers me constantly.

I was lucky to have a women's only gym when I got started so I was less embarrassed about the wet spots from the sweat.
    I also find that when I am "exercising" doing an activity I like, playing basketball for example, I don't notice the sweat as much.

The only other option it so swim or do water aerobics. If you have access to a pool this is the best option.

It is a vicious cycle, you don't have the energy to get up and work out, but if you work out you have all kinds of energy. Just make your mind up to get up and do it.

My motto is that it is 90% of the battle to get up and get moving... the activity itself is easy in comparison to the mental battle getting there.

We've all been there. :happy:

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    How about you tell yourself that as soon as you have finished exercising you are going to have the most wonderful hot shower/bubble bath and go and buy special soap/body wash/bubble bath (something really, really nice) that you only allow yourself to use after exercise.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    how about swimming?

^ This. And walking, bicycling...

I started my journey with walking and bicycling (no sweating), then went on to water aerobics and swimming (can't tell if you are sweating). I forgot how much fun swimming is.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just get over it. Learn to accept that when you exercise you your going to get sweaty and nasty but you get to wash afterwards, so it doe't matter. Booty shorts and a sports bra are perfectably acceptable exercise clothes, crack a widow and keep a towel or sweatbands handy.

If your not willing to get over your particular hatred of sweating then any vaguely active activity flutters out the window with it.
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The only advice I can give for overcoming something you hate is to pit it against something you'd love even more.

You hate sweating. Ok, that's fair.

Now, list 5 awesome things that you would love that your hatred of sweating is keeping you from having. Imagine you had those 5 things. Just had them. No work, no nothin', they're just gifted to you. Think about how awesome those things are, how much you'd love them.

Now, do you love those things all together more than you hate sweating?

If yes, keep those things in your mind and just suck it the *#(@ up and get over the sweating thing, it's keeping you from the things you want, need and love.

If no, try the same comparison with 10, 15, 25, 100 things until you can paint a mental picture of a life so awesome that the shear win it's comprised of is huge compared to that little, pesky, not liking sweating thing.
  • amoment
    amoment Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How about working out with friends or in a class atmosphere. I find that I don't focus on sweating or otherwise feeling uncomfortable if I'm giggling with some friends.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Either you want it or you don't. Either you'll get over your hatred of sweating (which is just an excuse) or you won't. None of us can do a thing for you. How badly do you want to reach your goals?

Yes.
  • DD0pe
    Options
    ok I'm definitely going to try this thanks guys
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Also gonna ask...do you like dancing? If you have a strong fan or are with a bunch of other people dancing (zumba, pole dancing, belly dancing, hip-hop, whatever you think you would like) it won't bother you as much. Dancing is an amazing cardio workout! It will make you sweat, but it makes you feel wonderful!

I've always hated sweating..it actually burns my skin to sweat sometimes..but I deal with it and shower after I'm cooled down so I don't sweat again after showering.

You can do whatever you set your mind to and enjoy it! :)
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i wanted to write this post as early as possible. Hello Everyone and thank you for clicking my message post. i will get straight into my subject. i need help I'm lazy like crazy lazy i can be in bed a lllllllll day and not even think or hint to think about working out and then i read all my MFP wall post burning all 300- 1200 calories in 45 mins… and I'm like ok ok tomorrow that will be me lol yea right.

my main problem is i don't like to sweat once i feel the heat forming on my back or arms i stop . i hate absolutely hate sweating is there any advice anyone can help me with getting over my hatred for sweating please !!!

Swim?
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So, I was like you too. I hated to sweat . I really hated getting my hair all messed up because its so expensive to get it re-done. Then 1 day it hit. When I dead and they open my casket- I don't want my cause of death to be she didn't want to sweat or she has beautiful hair. There are lots of ways to over that itchy / stinky feeling. Most gyms have showers so take 1 right after. Don't let anything block your sucess.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    I hate sweating as well, so mostly I don't get exercise credits, but I do like walking (or rather I like to see new things and walking is one way to get there) and I just spend more time on it.
  • aedurkee
    aedurkee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started at the gym a year before I started to shed pounds. just to get the habit of going. one trainer said its like a part time job and it is, its something thats got be part of your lifestlye. Walking a steady pace on an slight incline for a period of time is excellent exercise and after a while you won't even break a sweat. Go for distance and time instead of watts or effort. Just my two cents.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    the coach on hasfit.com has two sayings on sweat. no one ever drowned in their own pool of sweat. sweat is just your fat crying.

i think when u are ready u will get up and get it done. when done get in the shower