Who else is doing Atkins?!!

Options
I am combining Atkins and Insanity together, I have done so before and my body was in the best shape ever.

Who else is doing Atkins or low carb and how are you finding it?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Would never do low carb, and have been advised that Atkins should only be a short term solution, or can be dangerous for your health (sorry, you would have to research this for more in depth explanation).
  • natliii1
    natliii1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Would never do low carb, and have been advised that Atkins should only be a short term solution, or can be dangerous for your health (sorry, you would have to research this for more in depth explanation).

Thanks.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb and it's working just fine.
  • annabullard
    annabullard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm doing Atkins. It seems to be working amazingly so far in my 3rd official day. I'm down 4 lbs. (Although I admit I tried a different low carb diet from Dec 26 so I had a bit of a head start, it just wasn't as strict as Atkins)

But Atkins Induction is serious.
  • meggypooh
    meggypooh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I did atkins for a month in October. I lost 19 pounds, while also working out. It seemed to be working great, but there werent a lot of food options and I was really getting sick of eating so much of the same stuff all the time.

Being new to weight loss and exercise, I spent a lot of time on here and other sites getting as much information as I could to make this work for myself. It was after all of the reading and information that I realized I was eating way too little! On any given day I was eating about 700-800 calories, which I wasnt even paying attention to, I was focused on the carbs. I was also doing the 30 Day Shred as a workout every night and burning 250-300 calories, so really I was only netting 400 or under in calories..Im still no expert but Ive read enough to know that this low of a calorie intake is dangerous for your body and counter productive(starvation mode)

I dont want to tell you what to do or how to do it, but I just wanted to share my opinion!

Good luck!
  • autumnly81
    autumnly81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started Atkins January 1st. Carbs are my weakness so I'm trying to get rid of the cravings. I need to broaden my kitchen skills so I don't get too bored though.
  • nurse892012
    Options
    I started one week ago today. Ive lost 8.8 lbs. Drinks lots and lots of water. If youre doing it right and eating mostly veggies, it'll have a diuretic effect, so if you feel dizzy, add some salt to your diet (don't over do it though). Im also a carb lover, but ive not been craving simple carbs this week. add me if youd like
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb (under 50 net carbs per day) since August. I'm down about 15lbs since I started. Slow but steady weight loss, about 3lbs a month average. I had been spinning my wheels for months prior. Counting/weighing everything, etc. with no results. I still count and weigh everything and have the same caloric goal I did then, but the scale started moving after cutting back on the carbs.

I love eating this way, it's very easy for me and I don't miss any of the high carb foods I used to eat. A typical day for me is eggs and sausage for breakfast, a big salad with poached chicken for lunch, and then a steak, big piece of fish or 3-4 roasted chicken thighs and a huge serving of a vegetable like cauliflower, Brussels sprouts or broccoli for dinner.

My wife decided to join me and she's down 25lbs in 2 months.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm doing keto, which is high fat and low carb. I love it and I'm seeing great things happening to my body.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I love low carb because of never feeling hungry and being able to tell when I am satisfied and not stuff myself . I kinda switch around when I plateau just to get the scale moving again and then go right back to low carb. I have a snail pace metabolism and being only 5`1`` doesn`t help me much either !
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/5181-atkins-support-group

You may want to consider joining this Atkins support group on MFP
  • Spidey67
    Options
    Nice to hear! I just joined this site but my hubby and I also have been on Atkins since Nov. 1. I lost 10 and he has lost 20! We eat similarly ! Getting sick of eggs and almost there! 5-6 more lbs for me! . Do you two have plans on how to transition to a few more carbs?
  • ABeltwayBandit23
    Options
    This board has been wonderful. This is Day 2 of the Atkins Diet and I am NOT HUNGRY. It is the most wonderful feeling in the world.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I am looking to start a low carb diet still don't know if high fat or high protein that's the difference between keto n Atkins from what I searched either way I did join atkins this week waiting on books for more info which ever route I go I would try to incorporate p90x I stumbled upon these sites

http://authoritynutrition.com/7-healthy-low-carb-meals/#comment-67987

http://www.lowcarbdietworks.com/lowcarbdiet-plan.php
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing a strict Atkins diet but I am following a LCHF diet. As for protein being the difference between keto and Atkins, that's not really true. Your protein requirements are relatively fixed regardless of what diet you're following. The biggest difference between the two diets I'm aware of is that Atkins reintroduces carbs slowly until you find the maximum carb intake at which you can lose weight.
  • cms023
    cms023 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been doing an Atkins type plan this time around. For me, if my carbs are too high I won't lose no matter what the calories. I have been sticking with under 25 carbs a day. I log in my food on MFP just to keep track of the carbs don't worry too much about the calories...although with the foods I eat I never really go over my goal. I feel really good. The first week was tough with the sugar and carb withdrawls, but now I don't crave them anymore. Nor am I eating boiled fish and veggies that your would think on a weight loss plan. I make things with butter, oil, bacon, cheese, and all the fun stuff I used to love before...minus the sugar and breads. I don't feel deprived at all. I eat when I want, but it's usually 3 meals and 2 snacks and that's totally fine. I dropped 7 lbs the first week and 2 this week. I knew the first week was just water and all the toxins from the crap I was eating and I am happy with the 2 pounds this week.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing a strict Atkins diet but I am following a LCHF diet. As for protein being the difference between keto and Atkins, that's not really true. Your protein requirements are relatively fixed regardless of what diet you're following. The biggest difference between the two diets I'm aware of is that Atkins reintroduces carbs slowly until you find the maximum carb intake at which you can lose weight.

Thanks I am still researching so this was good to know I also was told carb cycling is good they have mention Chris Powell books but I really wasn't trying to buy extra books I never tried low carb this would be my 1st time and I was kind of skeptical in combining it with a workout like p90x
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Expect exercise to suck until you're fully keto-adapted, which can take weeks to achieve. That doesn't mean you need to wait to exercise but only that you will not be feeling or performing at 100% at first. Carb cycling (a cyclical ketogenic diet) can be good but I would probably recommend just sticking to a standard ketogenic diet at first.
  • jonesygetshealthy
    jonesygetshealthy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of luck with the Dukan diet, which is very similar, only the Dukan diet allows only meat in its first "attack" phase. I followed that for about 6 weeks (two different phases) and I lost just shy of 20lbs.

I'm doing Atkins this time around because veggies make me happy! Though having done low-carb before, I know that when I go over 20 net carbs, my body doesn't seem to respond so well, so I tend to go 20g or less of net carbs. If anyone wants to add me on here I would love to have some buddies!
  • misselliott
    misselliott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been on induction for 1 week and no loss yet, any ideas to get me to keto? How much fibre do u all consume everyday, I'm having a lot could it be too much?

Michelle :)