A gravestone, 10K and an old, worn-out pair of running shoes

Options
I turn 48 in 2014. This is important to me. Really, really important.
My dad died of a second heart attack at age 48. I was 18 at the time. He had a heart attack at age 33 and was put on a super low salt and calorie restrictive diet at that time (in the 1970s). His heart attack at 33 damaged about 33% of the heart muscle. He discovered running shortly after that time, quit smoking cigarettes (opting for a pipe instead). His second heart attack came as a result of an arrythmia that he refused to go in and see his cardiologist about. He weighed about 220-215 at that time and ran 6 miles.
Every.
Single.
Day.
He ran after work, in the Texas heat, in the cold, in the rain, in the wind, in the spring, in the dark. He had the first pair of Nike running shoes and the first Jim Fixx book.
I think the running gave him more life. I think his stubborn, stupid, Germanic, I-can-overcome-anything-by-myself mindset caused him to die on Father's Day 1985.
So, I want to emulate the good things he did and learn from his mistake (of ignoring a serious medical symptom).
So, a little about me. I had a heart attack at age 39, weighing 284 lbs. I lost 40+ lbs. in less than six months, but my cardiologist put me on a stress test treadmill and as a result of that EKG, he recommended bypass surgery.
January 5 marks the seven year anniversary of my triple bypass. That's right, I joined the zipper club at age 40. It is a club for old, old men, but has given me time that I do not deserve.
And for the past seven years I have messed around with my health, trying this fad diet, or that fad diet and picking up exercise routines only to put them down again as soon as possible. I have South Beach, Atkins, and other diet cookbooks collecting dust.
End result: 320 lbs. at the end of October and an epiphany, spiritual awakening, shock.
I will die fat, sick and tired if I don't change my life.
Not diet.
Not exercise.
Life.
So, I returned to MFP in November with a single-mindedness that is handed down to me through generations of stubborn Germans. To take on a new life with a long game plan.
Here is the game plan, and I encourage/invite anyone to join me/watch me/cheer me.
1. Log my foods and learn portion control.
2. Adapt a liveable eating plan that emphasizes low-fat dairy in smaller amounts, high-fiber vegetables and fruits, less salt, less processed sugar, less processed grains and leaner meats.
3. Exercise with both cardio and strength training. I have a friend who meets me at 6 a.m. weekdays. He calls when I am late, busts my chops and congratulates me at the end of the session. He was a PT guy in the Navy and I acquiesce to his advice on the weights. My cardio is Couch to 5K now. I also walk on the off days.
4. Added friends here and encourage them and seek out their encouragement.
5. Adopted some concrete, measureable goals to work toward.
May 5 marks the eighth anniversary of my heart attack. I want to weigh less than I did when I had that heart attack: 284 lbs. So I have more than 20 lbs. to lose between now and then.
Prior to that, I want to compete in an American Heart Association 5K run in the area in March. Hence the Couch to 5K program. I want to raise funds for AHA through that 5K by having the friends who have known my struggles with health support me in the race. Say what you will, but the AHA is a great organization.
By my birthday on October 2 (which will be #48 for me), I want to weight less than I did when I had a bypass: 251 lbs. This one is also do-able, but will be a tougher one to accomplish.
I also want to run a 10K for my birthday. That is about the distance (6 miles) my dad ran on a daily basis. When I finish the C25K, I will go into the next one, C210K.
I still visit my dad every year at Father's Day. I want to be able to visit with him again after I run my first 10K ever this year and put a pair of worn-out running shoes next to his gravestone and thank him for the example he is for me.
It will be a gift not only for him, but for me, and perhaps the best one I can give myself.

Replies

• Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I'm Happy to be one of your friends on here and cheer you in your race! You have been doing awesome and can reverse history for your family. All the best to come!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Wow, powerful post. I feel you man. My dad had a massive heart attack at work, one in the ambulance, and one in the ER. A quad bypass later, he's 80lbs heavier than he was when he had the heart attack (11 years ago). He was 56 years old. The only thing he's done in a positive direction since then is quit smoking (not a small feat by any means, mind).

I don't want to end up like he did.

Thank you for posting, I think I'll read through this a few more times.
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Now if that isn't inspiration to stick to a lifestyle change, I don't know what is!

Best of luck, dear fellow. :)
  • jeromybilbo7
    Options
    I'll be more than happy to cheer you on while you achieve your goals. From one October 2nd birthday guy to another, we'll conquer this. I'll be 39 this coming October 2nd. It seems interesting that 39 is when you had your heart attack. That feels like a warning to me to get serious before I head that direction. We've got this, bro!

:happy:
  • Iesia
    Iesia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do it Man! It seems like you've got it in you. We all go back and forth, and start and start over, but it seems like you have the proper motivation, and the will to survive. So let's do this thing!!!
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    You can do it, but be patient. I lost 79 lbs for the same reason...my dad has had 7 bypasses. Gained it all back after two tragic events occurred and I fell into the depression trap.

You can. You WILL!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck! I hope you grow to love running like your father did! I know I have :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing post-good luck!
  • vjenelle
    Options
    That is the most amazing revelation that I've ever read on MFP. Victory is yours...its just waiting for you to claim it.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks Hiker! You have quickly become one of the better friends here with your comments and encouragement.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Amazing. I think your story is the shocking truth that people need to hear about why a lifestyle change is needed not a "diet".
    Well done for taking control, and taking your life back.
    The C25K app is brilliant, good luck with all your goals! x
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    This made me cry. Good luck to you man. You can and will do it!
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Powerful post.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    This made me cry. Good luck to you man. You can and will do it!

This made me cry, too.
  • uscooleys
    uscooleys Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Powerful words and a great inspiration for all of us.

I work for the American Heart Association and am thrilled that you want to get involved with the organization as you continue your journey! Folks like you are what inspires us to the do the best we can at work every day.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a very touching inspiration. And the shoes on the gravestone seems very fitting - I think he would appreciate that.

I would love to follow your progress and cheer you on. You can add me as a friend, or just post your progress on the boards (or both :wink:).
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good luck! My neighbor died of a heart attack when he was 33. He had let himself go and wouldn't seek treatment for anything that was going wrong with his body. Good for you for realizing you need to change before it's too late!!
  • FrankieBenjamin
    FrankieBenjamin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Proud to be your friend on here and inspired by your determination and support. Keep going, looking forward to celebrating your success and your 48th birthday online with you! X
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That's a powerful story. I'm rooting for you!
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    bump