Getting started again after a back injury

Options
In the beginning of 2013 I was extremely motivated and ate right and exercised faithfully. I lost 30 lbs and was well on my way to my goal of about 60 lbs to lose. In Sept. I injured my back. I could hardly move and couldn't exercise anymore so I became depressed. I put back on almost all the 30 lbs that I worked so hard to lose. After months of physical therapy, I finally had a spinal injection last week and I'm starting to feel better. I'm ready to start again and could use some motivation as I feel discouraged at all the weight I put back on. I also need some suggestions on exercises for someone with a back injury. My dr said to take it easy and start slowly but I am nervous about injuring my back again. Anybody out there have any advice?

Replies

• laxheart16
    laxheart16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Same thing for me but with knee and hamstring injuries. It took me over a year to be almost back to normal with my knees but then more recently, my hamstrings are giving me trouble due to really bad previous strains. Injured muscles never heal properly or the same way, at least in my opinion. Also, on top of that, I had gained my weight back that I had lost because I was unable to exercise like you.

I think you should just definitely follow your doctor's advice the best that you can. It's highly important to ease your way back in. I have reinjured myself SO many times, thinking that I could do more than I actually could. It will be frustrating, and you may think that you're moving forward incredibly slow, but it will be better for you in the long run!

I don't really know very many exercises that you can do because I've never injured my back before. However, my close friend at school has injured her back badly several times and used to need to wear a brace when she was younger. At our college rec center, I've seen her doing light hand weights to tone her arms and upper body. She does some unique stretches also that especially focuses on the back muscles. I believe that she is on her way to incorporating cardio in. She said that the only thing that doesn't hurt her back is the sit down bike with the back rest (I think?) but she can't do it for very long yet.

Best of luck to you with getting back into the swing of things! I hope some of this has helped you!
  • sameena2013
    Options
    I have a slip disc issue lat 3 and 4- along with scatia- doc gave me some exercise:flowerforyou: physiotherapy sessions- asked me to walk- started with slow walk- felt demotivated and than discovered power walk at home from leslie sansone- lost weight and inches 12 pounds and 10 inches over all- now at biggest loser power walk its free on you tube-all the best to you go slow but dont stop moving
  • _Giselle_
    Options
    I actually met my goal back in 2012 and all was well… until I hurt my back, just like you. It's horrible because you use your back for pretty much everything so you can't escape the pain. I can still feel it some days, and other days not at all. The back injury and not being able to exercise like I used to was so demotivating but I only gained back half of what I had lost originally- so I have the last half to go again now haha. I did it a year ago, so I know I can do it again now.

When I first started getting better (these days I just try to rest on bad days and don't hold back in the gym on good days) I did a lot of walking. I then added a lot of core exercises which really helped. Once I had that down I started running, but I spent months and months gradually walking more and faster before I did anything else.
  • Ktastic3
    Options
    I have been dealing with a lower back injury since 2007. Since then I have felt useless and uninspired to even try to exercise because I was afraid to make the pain worse. I'd gotten to the point where I felt the pain every day, and I was so tired of it. I finally talked to my doctor about a spinal injection. In a week I'll be getting my first one, and some tips for proper exercise. I'm both nervous and excited. I am so hopeful that it will give me some relief, at least enough that I can get a more active routine going. How has the injection helped you? Please feel free to add me :) Good luck to everyone!
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had a multilevel spinal fusion almost 10 months ago. For the first 6 months, I only walked. After that, I added in the elliptical and arc trainer. At about 7 months, I added back low weight kettlebells. I'm up to 25lb bells now for certain moves but usually use the 18lb bell for most exercises. I used to be a runner too. I'm slowly adding that back in now. I've been given the green light to participate in a 15K this summer. I'm currently up to a little over 3 miles (only once or twice a week though). I don't want to push it too much. I too became depressed at my lack of exercise for many months and have put on weight. Need to lose at least 20 lbs.