Low carb...excerise... and 1230 calories a day don't mix!

Options
124»

Replies

• NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I personally can't do low carb for the long term, I've tried it in the past. However, I do try n substitute white pasta, breads, and tortillas for the whole grain version. I aim for high protein, and moderate fat intake. (I'm no angel though). :devil: Some high calorie snacks are peanut butter, nutella, cashews, or pretty much any kind of nuts, (almonds are supposed to be very good for you) granola, and full fat dressings. Not sure about the carb content for those, but they are great for adding healthy calories. :wink: :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 7in.. 219lb
    Just finding it hard to eat all the calories i need... i get full really easily too.
    I shall have a look at fat bombs..

At 5'8" and 217 pounds I could eat 1800 calories and still lose weight.

I'm 6'1, 180lbs and losing on 1900.
  • linorang1
    Options
    Why are you eating Low-carb?, your aware this does not have an effect on fat loss. If you are on a surplus, you will gain weight. If you are on a deficit, you will lose weight. The law of thermodynamics is as simple as that.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I really dont like carbs at all,

... snacks all day on crisps and chocolate etc..

Low-carb high fat works for me... so I don't want to change that.

So basically, you think it will help you lose weight, rather than you don't LIKE them...
  • linorang1
    Options
    It all depend on your weight. if your 220 Lbs eating 1200 Kcals, metabolic damage will likely occur.
  • linorang1
    Options
    I believe 1800 calories is too little for a 5'7 217 pound male and would induce hormonal imbalances.
  • linorang1
    Options
    Thank you, for this statement. The belief of an insulin spike causing fat loss due to carb increase(Still on a deficit) is complete pseudoscience.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    And Keto diets are proven to lose less muscle during weight loss than traditional diets.

You were doing great up to that point.

Keto diets have no muscle-retention advantage over diets with any other non-extreme macro ratio.

yes they do. I've read a few studies, the high protein fat diets retain more muscle than other diets.

You are misreading the studies. Once protein gets to around 25-30% of calories, there are no further benefits to either more protein, or using the remaining 70-75% for primarily fat OR carbs OR more protein.

Keto does not aid in either fat loss or muscle retention.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    OP, you're better off posting to one of the many low carb groups. It seems all you're going to get right now are people who are going to be negative about low carb. These threads always devolve in this manner. It's annoying, but inevitable.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification on what you are after. As far as food or snack options google LCHF or Keto recipes. You'll get a ton of options.

nuts are great
    Deviled eggs are a tasty snack, too.
    Coffee with heavy cream
    full fat greek yogurt

Also, fat bombs (especially those with coconut oil) can be an excellent source of healthy fat and calories. There are a lot of flavor varieties.

It sounds like you may not be following a specific diet right now, just listening to your body. It sounds like your body may prefer a ketogenic diet, which is low carb, moderate protein (like 20%) and the rest of your calorie needs come from fat. My body feels tremendously better following this program over any other. There are keto groups on this site. That would be a great source of info, in addition to googling Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) or keto.

Good luck!