Is it possible to lose 40-50 lbs in 5-6 months?

Options
Hi,
I'm trying to lose weight for my boyfriend's graduation that is coming up and I want to be able to wear something cute without the constant voice in the back of my head worrying if I look bad or if I'm too fat for this dress etc. I've recently changed my eating habits. Focusing more on healthier foods that will keep me full instead of making me reach for a bag of potato chips. I workout at least 30 mins with combined cardio and strength, and am gradually working up to putting more time in. My height is 5'5 and I currently weigh 175lbs. My goal is to be atleast 135 or less by around the middle of June.
If you have any suggestions on workouts or clean eating I would love to hear it!
Thank you for your time and answers.

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty aggressive but doable (the 135 lb target). But it will take a lot of focus. Others will recommend that you lose weight more slowly (and that may be good advice for you - I don't know you).

I am not all that concerned with clean eating -- if you are, great. Whether clean or not, you will have to focus on creating and sticking to a calorie deficit (regardless of what types of food you are eating).

I personally think resistance training (lifting weights) is a very worthwhile activity - especially as you're trying to lose pounds. Your goal is hopefully to lose fat and not just weight, and resistance training will help preserve lean mass while you lose.

Lots of info on these forums. Have a look around.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'd say more like 30lbs in 6 months, depending on how you go about it.
    You can eat at 1200 calories, be hungry and cranky, and eventually stall out and not know where to go from there, or you could eat at a moderate deficit (if going by MFP settings, no less than 1lb per week), eating back at least half of your workout calories (all if using a HRM), you'll preserve some lean muscle mass, and won't be hangry..

What you should be doing is eating at a moderate deficit and pick up the strength training. You may not lose as much scale weight, but you'll look better!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If you keep exercising and eating well for the next 6 months, you're going to feel and look like a million bucks no matter what the scale says. You'll probably be down a few sizes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think it would be very difficult and frustrating, personally. I'm 5'5" as well, I've lost 28 lbs in the last 6 months, and I can't imagine eating less than that (1600 calories) or I would be hangry all the time... and I'm 141 lbs (about 25% body fat). Getting down further is going to be even slower. I'm 35 though so you probably have age on your side, but still.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If you keep exercising and eating well for the next 6 months, you're going to feel and look like a million bucks no matter what the scale says. You'll probably be down a few sizes.

Best answer ever.
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible!
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Last june I started and lost 50 in 6 months. I had over 100 to lose though. Eat clean as you can(no process foods), drink your water and exercise 3-4 x a week for about 45-60 min. I highly recommend weight lifting too a couple times a week. When I did it last summer the weight and inches came off fast.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Last year I dropped 25 in 6 months, but I will tell you I workeddddd for it.. A lot of time on the bike. I think I could have done a few more if I had restricted more but I was happy with what I had done. Felt lots better too.......Good Luck to you.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    its doable at 2lbs a week but thats only about 46-48 lbs by then....If you go too aggressive more then likely youll put it all back on plus some
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm trying to lose weight for my boyfriend's graduation that is coming up and I want to be able to wear something cute without the constant voice in the back of my head worrying if I look bad or if I'm too fat for this dress etc. I've recently changed my eating habits. Focusing more on healthier foods that will keep me full instead of making me reach for a bag of potato chips. I workout at least 30 mins with combined cardio and strength, and am gradually working up to putting more time in. My height is 5'5 and I currently weigh 175lbs. My goal is to be atleast 135 or less by around the middle of June.
    If you have any suggestions on workouts or clean eating I would love to hear it!
    Thank you for your time and answers.
    It's absolutely possible!
    IF you start out being EXTREMELY overweight, which the OP isn't.

Starting out at 175, the OP can expect to lose 1-1.5lbs a week for a while, but as she gets closer to her goal weight, .5lb-1 per week will be more realistic.
  • KarenThomas1966
    Options
    Yes. I lost 43lbs in 3 months 3 years ago. I stand 5'1" and was 175lbs and was 45 years old. I went from a size 14 down to a 4. I walked the treadmill 7 days a week for one hour of pouring sweat. It was easy to watch what I ate, because when you are working that hard on the treadmill, and you think about how long and hard you will have to walk to burn off that ONE cookie, all of a sudden, beans and veggies look and taste really great.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible, other people have done it so you can do it. It will definitely take some effort. I have lost almost 48 pounds in a little over 3 months. Consistency is the key.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Best answer ever.

Yep, QFT
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady is the healthy way to go, especially if you want to keep it off, other wise yes you can, but you will lose a lot of muscle and not fat and you will be skinny fat. JMO.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I started out at about 200lbs wanting to lose 60lbs total in Feb 2013. As of today, I've lost 40lbs.

It's probably not impossible but it'll probably be pretty hard. Just stay the course with eating less and moving more. Chances are you won't lose the 40-50 you're hoping for in such a short amount of time but you'll be well on your way. As mentioned you will look and feel a million times better.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That is my 6 month goal but I have over 100lbs to lose. The less you have to lose the slower it will be. That is if you want to maintain muscle mass, which you probably do.
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you want to be healthy focus on 1 lb a week. That will get you to 24lbs in 6 months. You didn't gain 50lbs in 6 months, don't expect to take it off in 6 months.

24lb loss is a goal to be happy with and when you meet it hopefully you will feel good about your progress, translating to you feeling good about yourself.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    For what it would do to you emotionally, physically, hormonally, etc. it's not worth it. Especially for a graduation... that's not even your own! You would cause a lot of future damage and you'll most likely put the weight back on and have a harder time losing it again because you'd have lost muscle and messed up your metabolism. Not to mention that you'll most likely be cranky, angry, moody, and have a low libido. Not anything your boyfriend will want to deal with (let alone yourself!).

Just work at it in a healthy way. You'll look and feel great regardless. Also, try and do this for YOU. And for some more intrinsic, healthy reasons then for the dress. Best to you :)
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible. Years ago I lost 4 stone (56 pounds) in 6 months eating 1500 calories a day but I did have a bit more to lose - I still had another 30 pounds to get to my goal weight.

In your context a less aggressive goal might be more appropriate say 25 to 30 pounds in that amount of time.
  • MissPStar
    MissPStar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We're in the same boat! I'm trying to lose 45 pounds before we go on a family cruise in June! More than willing to buddy up with you as a support system if you'd like! :bigsmile: