How often do you weigh in?

Options

Replies

• goodbyefreshman15
    Options
    once per week (every Friday).. soon after I wake up (maybe not right away but definitely before breakfast)
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    First thing every day, before I get dressed or eat or drink. I like the mfp progress graph as it shows the overall trend. some days I go up a little but mostly I stay level or go down. Overall the trend is nicely, slowly, going down. I find that the daily weigh keeps me focused for the day and previously if I only weighed once a week I was scared to weigh myself, but now it is just routine, so I get on with it and record the outcome each day. It works for me :)
  • tjfharo
    Options
    I am a total nerd... I LOVE to weigh in first thing in the morning AND before/after a run.

I learned from a marathon coach to practice this for hydration purposes. The pre-run weigh in and post-run weigh in will show you how much water weight was lost in sweat and needs to be immediately replaced to prevent lactic acid build up in muscles. I was living in Arizona training outdoors during 75-115 degree sunshine. It worked well for me!

Now living in South Carolina with the ridiculous humidity, I find myself losing 2-3 pounds of water weight for small runs 2-5 miles... this is an incredible amount of dehydration... and as a nurse I am all about staying healthy! So sometimes my scale gets a work out with all my weigh ins :)
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I used to be OCD with weighing in every morning after I go to the bathroom and butt naked. I weighed myself at the beginning of this month and will not weigh myself again til end of january. I intend on sticking to my new way of life and do not want to be obsessed watching the scale go up and down and even creep down. Let's see if it works for me.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Fridays and Mondays because weekends are hardest for me to stay on my diet. Weighing in before and after the weekend helps me because i can assess my gains and losses and what has helped/hurt my biggest challenge days.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh twice a day, every day, now about once or twice a month......
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a month, and measure at the same time as well (it's a better indicator IMHO). Always first thing in the morning.
  • stacechase
    Options
    I weigh in once a week (Monday, because hell, Monday sucks anyway). :) I do it right after I work out in the morning and before I shower or have had anything to eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Every morning...same bat time, same bat channel

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25584-1330797718-33.gif

Note that if you do not understand natural body weight fluctuations and if you're the type of person to lose their **** because they gained a couple Lbs of water weight overnight, then I'd suggest you not weigh in daily. I personally like the data points and find them helpful for trend analysis...but I also understand that I do not weigh exactly 183 Lbs...sometimes I'm 180 and sometimes I'm 185 due to natural body weight fluctuations...but on average over the past 7 months I'm about 183.
  • golgoroo
    golgoroo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Every day in the morning after bathroom but before shower and eating. But I only get to "count" it once a week, on Mondays. So it doesn't matter how much it fluctuates during the week. Only Monday's weight gets recorded. (Keeps me on track on the weekends)
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Once a month, I find it's better for my mental health, as I tend to get all caught up in the numbers and end up stressing.
  • cizzawizza
    cizzawizza Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I weigh in at the same time of day. First thing in the am naked before I shower. And several times a week.

Me too, it keeps me motivated - I do fluctuate throughout the week. When I've weighed weekly with weight watchers, I would feel defeated if I had put on half a pound and go on to sabotage myself. I found with weighing daily I could see the scale go up and down ,,,, the downs spur me on and the ups remind me to keep in check - I don't sabotage any more.
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I found with weighing daily I could see the scale go up and down ,,,, the downs spur me on and the ups remind me to keep in check - I don't sabotage any more.

I find the same :)
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    every morning, after I tinkle, in my wife beater and panties.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I started out liking the "weigh in weekly so that the daily fluctuations won't bother/distract you" idea, and followed that for the better part of a year. But then someone rightly pointed out that if I record (but refuse to be influenced by) the daily fluctuations, I'll get a better gauge of what's normal *for me* in that regard - and that, what if my weekly weigh in day happens to be on a "higher fluctuation" day one week, then I'll still be getting an inaccurate reading anyway. So I started weighing daily. Then my sleep schedule got highly disrupted compliments of a medication change and I didn't know WHEN I should weigh (I would wake up and have a drink 2-6 times a night, so damn thirsty, so I never really had a chance to have an empty bladder and rested body when I weighed) and I finally gave up - now I weigh whenever I can remember "oh yeah it's been a while and I should check that before my coffee!" Which works out to about every 10 days or so. Upshot being, I don't think it really matters when or how often you weigh, as long as you're seeing the downward trend you're desiring!

^^^This. But mostly every morning after potty time.
  • LinJoyAdd
    LinJoyAdd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I get up, go to the bathroom and weigh myself before hopping in the shower. If I loose weight it starts my day off in a positive way. If I gain weight then I know I have to watch what I eat and make sure I have a sweaty workout.
  • tyb03
    tyb03 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. Usually on Wednesdays first thing in the morning. Mid week just seems to make sense to me because its an equal balance. That's just my mindset towards it.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I go to bathroom and workout. My Sunday morning weigh in is my official one for the week.
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Once a week in the morning after my shower.
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    Whenever I'm at work and I remember to do it. I don't have a scale at home.