I can't kick my cravings

Options

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I started drinking chocolate protein shakes with just whole milk in them last night, and that alone has helped me a ton. It also helps me to stay fuller longer.

you really shouldn't do that at night.

If you have plenty of calories at the end of the day it is fine. Time of the day makes no difference.

wrong. Digestion slows to almost a stop while we sleep. You burn about 60 calories per hour while sleeping
  • tealgrove
    tealgrove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's pretty amazing what happens when you go cold turkey. I've been on a meal plan since early December. I have more than enough to eat, I'm losing weight and I don't feel deprived. I got rid of all the "crap" in the cupboards, i.e., sugar laden foods and took them out of my diet. This morning I realized that I was drinking my coffee without even a sweetener. My palate has changed completely.

Sugar is a drug to many and it acts like a drug. You actually have to go through a withdrawal period (cravings and fighting them) to free yourself from the addiction.

When you realize that you are not in control of what you are eating and that it is the sugar addiction that's controlling what goes in your mouth then you will be in a better place to deal with it.

There are many articles and research dealing with sugar in our diets and how it affects us. It's poison to many.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I started drinking chocolate protein shakes with just whole milk in them last night, and that alone has helped me a ton. It also helps me to stay fuller longer.

If you have plenty of calories at the end of the day it is fine. Time of the day makes no difference.

wrong. Digestion slows to almost a stop while we sleep. You burn about 60 calories per hour while sleeping

so, if that is true... then whats the big deal? your system would just start digesting in the morning.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do for approx 2 weeks to kick the sugar cravings.

Eat massive amounts of protein and veggies, I literally eat 12oz or more of meat with a huge salad for dinner. Stop eating fruit after 2. Reduce carb intake, No sweets, no sugar, no bread, no pasta, no pasta sauce, no potatoes, no squash, no honey, peanut only peanut butter, no other nut butters. I mean I read the ingredient list and if anything sugar is *added* I don't buy it. Example.. plain yogurt is usually good. but yogurt that is pre mixed has sugar added. I get 0% chobani and mix fruit in myself. I use keifer in the morning for smoothies. If you use protein powder body fortress from walmart has the least sugar and a ton of protein and it tastes pretty good. I mix those together with fruit and water.

For 2 weeks I eat, low sugar fruits (apples, oranges, grapefruits, grapes, berries for example) plain greek yogurt, keifer, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, egg white, loads of non-starchy veggies (lettuce, peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, carrots, celery, tomatoes, garlic, onion,) , olive oil, avocado, sauerkraut, sugar free jams or jellies, low carb marinara sauce, for dessert I mix plain yogurt with sugar free jam or make snickerdoodle pudding. (1/2 cup of lowfat Greek yogurt in a bowl. Add 1 t of vanilla, 2 packages of Truvia, (I use agave syrup since truvia makes me feel bad)1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.) oh and no sugar or creamer. Coffee black or with truvia is ok. Green tea is good too. Again plain or with truvia if you need it a little sweet.

It's a little big boring.. and the third day SUCKS... i suffer headaches every time I do this for the first few days. It's simply because of sugar withdrawal. The only way to do this is to decide to stick to it. This is ok for 2 weeks or so.. don't do it longer as you need carbs for health. I'm doing this right now.. and was bad today (whisky AND a cliff baf bad me) .. but I feel loads better already, and the headache will be gone tomorrow.

Bonus is you will drop weight and after the first few days you will feel a lot better! Once you get the sugar out and you stop craving it you add back in the carbs and other meats fruits and veggies. There are certain things that trigger me to crave sugar, so i just don't eat those things anymore. it sounds drastic, but it's really not, it's not as hard as it sounds, it's short term and it works.

Oh and you are in control of your shopping. Don't shop hungry, make a list and stick to it. Don't even walk into the bakery or candy aisles.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Throughout most of my life I've had a massive sweet tooth, particularly a sweet tooth that loved chocolate. In fact, the only real sweet I would pick was chocolate.

I was also raised Catholic. While this has little to do with my chocolate recovery, it does explain what cut my cravings. In school every year at Lent we were encouraged to give something up for 40 days. Every year I gave up chocolate. Ever year I'd fail by the first week. My first year in college I decided to try Lent, on my terms, without being told to do it by anyone. I again said I'd give up chocolate.

And I did it. I gave up chocolate for 40 days. The first weeks were awful. I was craving it, I would reach for my candy drawer (which I luckily had emptied out.) I tried to find substitutions and was completely unsatisfied. But after about day 20, I didn't want it anymore. I wasn't craving it. And by day 40, I did eat chocolate, but I didn't ~need!~ chocolate. I haven't had a chocolate craving since.

My story is to show you that you need to break the craving. It will suck. It will be hard. But once you break that craving by sheer will alone, you won't crave it and then you will be able to enjoy it in moderation.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I drinks lots of cups of herbal and spicy tea at night. The different flavors satisfy my craving to taste something interesting. I have about 35 to 40 different teas on my shelf!

haha i do this as well. I'm drinking jasmine infused green tea right now and already thinking about what my bedtime cup will be. lol
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I eat before bed all the time. I've lost 80 pounds. I mean, maybe I'm doing something wrong. :indifferent:
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    Don't feed it....

Exactly this. Don't substitute sugar craving with different sugar, that won't help the craving.
  • toofatandy
    toofatandy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Think of a time when you had these treats and things went wrong. Instead of thinking how great it feels to eat eventually you will think of the bad experience and even smelling the stuff is a turn off.
  • bermequeen
    bermequeen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Inormally brush my teeth when I have a craving that I don't want to give in to. The taste in your mouth will deter you from eating or dring something other than ice and water.
  • thenicksters
    thenicksters Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Doesn't lack of sleep have to do with craving carbs/sweets too?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I can't control myself. I either binge, or don't eat any sweets after dinner.

Good luck! I hope you have better willpower than I.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

So? What does that have to do with anything?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Boop.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060202080832.htm
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-truth-myth-eating-night-causes-weight-gain
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/2020/story?id=512095
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3263249.stm
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also have had problems with horrible cravings - at night - after dinner, even when I was still full from dinner. Someone told me about the diet her arthritis doctor prescribed to reduce inflammation which had the wonderful side effect of weight loss. I was having problems with multiple joints and so decided to try it. I gave up all sugars and all refined grains. I also gave up sodas. For the first two weeks, I gave up fruit (doctor's order.) My cravings went away, my joint pain and stiffness went away, and I lost 7 pounds in the first two weeks. I have added fruit back in as well as non-gmo whole grains. I track my carbs instead of calories. The first two weeks I was supposed to eat only 26 gm of carbs daily, but I never got that low. I averaged about 50. Now I average about 100 gms. I eat nothing but beef, chicken, fish, ham, fresh or frozen vegetables, fresh fruit, cheese, and non-gmo whole grains. I continue to lose weight and inches and my joints are in wonderful shape - I turned back the clock at least 15 years where they are concerned. I am 68 years old and when I go to the gym, I do interval training and weights and manage to burn over 500 calories in 90 min. Not bad for an old lady. But, the best thing is, I NO LONGER HAVE ANY CRAVINGS! You can't lose weight when you are eating two huge bowls of Reese's cereal each night! During the holidays, when I went to a party, I took my own food. I just told people it helps my arthritis, but the truth is, I can't trust myself where there are lots of carbs. Once I get started, I can't stop. The way I eat now, I could do it for life. About sodas, I get plain carbonated water and put in one dropper of a flavored liquid stevia. I have retrained my taste buds to accept it. Restaurants with bars will have carbonated water. I have yet to be charged for it.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You can save room for some calories at night, or have something like sugar free jello or pudding with a little whipped cream or cool whip (if you"re eating processed foods), or go cold turkey. The first 6 wks of my weight loss I went cold turkey off the sugar to get rid of the cravings, then I found I didn"t need nearly as much sweets after that. Good luck!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    mot_zps4a0f798e.jpg
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    I got really overweight indulging my sweet tooth late at night, like 258, the heaviest I have ever been. I quit fast food, soda and candy, cold turkey and lost 10# in a week - yeah, I was that bad.

Keep some healthy foods around, drink water, check out your diary and what all those sweets do to you.

Last, commit yourself to weening off the junk food.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

yep
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The holidays have gotten me addicted to sugar again! When I first started my new lifestyle, I worked hard to kick the addiction and then managed to have a little and not go berserk with it. But it does seem for me that the more I allow myself the more I crave, so I am now back to weaning myself off of it again.