Best exercise for obese?

Options
This is embarrassing to ask but I don't have a great right knee, and my back hurts- I want to get 30 mins in everyday, what should I do for exercise? Any advice welcome!

Replies

• emmeryne
    Options
    Swimming is great because you can start off easy and choose your pace, plus it's easy on the joints :)
  • makeupfanatic
    makeupfanatic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I want to burn as much as I can, but that's a good idea. :)
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics and water walking too.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    You can work up to more.
  • ButterflyAngela97
    ButterflyAngela97 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Walking is good as well. I started walking, I have found that it has helped my back as well in the process. I have discs out of place in my back so my back hurts almost everyday
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Water activities are best as they minimize joint impact. If you have to do something dry, try ellipticals and recumbent bikes. Good luck!
  • makeupfanatic
    Options
    Thank you very much!
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have an exercise bike at home and find that I can fit in 30 min a day easily most days. Sometimes it's not all at once.
    If I had to go out somewhere or put on special clothes etc it just wouldn't get done.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I could barely walk a few months ago. Nothing physically wrong with any of the parts but the lower back would get in painful knots when I walked .25 miles or so. I could sit down for a few minutes and then go another .25 miles. 4 months later I can now walk 6 miles without stopping and with a few minutes rest at miles 5, 7 and 9, I went 11 miles in one day recently. Walking can burn a ton of calories when you are big!

As for swimming, you can get an insane workout from that. Simply treading water in the deep end will quickly tire you. Look at swimmer's bodies - not an ounce of fat on them!

Any activity that you can do with no/low pain is great - the trick is to add length or intensity or additional things as you get stronger.

More than anything else, measure what you do and track it so that you can strive for an improvement each time you do it and see your results!
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was going to say walking or swimming you can do walking anywhere an you go at your own pace just move more that is the biggest thing
    so what if at the beginning you can only go one or two blocks it is better than not doing anything at all
    I use the Leslie Sansone walk at home videos there are tons of them on you tube you can try out all kinds of things to get an idea of what you like and what works for you
    you should also talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends for you personally and don't give up
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Please take time to read all this!!

Don't be embarrassed! There are tons of people just like you and me! I'm obese. I weigh 229.4lbs as of now. I started out at 246 back in January 2013 and it took some tweaking to figure things out. I had gained my baby weight back and felt miserable. I was depressed and one day, January 10th 2013 it clicked. I HAD to change.

I lost 31lbs from January to April. My best friend lost her baby boy and I lost hope and I quit trying. I weighed 246 and dropped to 219 at one point. First time I had seen 219 in 7 years! It was amazing and I dropped a pant size too, but went back up through all my depression.

I am telling you now, hope is not lost and no matter how big you are, YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT. I did and I have a disability that causes me to walk different, back pain, joint pain, and can't walk or stand for a long time. But I know with weight loss, that will IMPROVE! Just don't give up! I know you can do it!

LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN...YOU CAN DO IT.

For you, I recommend starting out slow and focus on your calorie intake. You're gonna feel like you're starving at first, but I assure you, YOU WILL NOT STARVE. Try walking in place. Leslie Sansone makes me irate, but I like it because she is so annoying there's no way you can't NOT do her walking video lol. Try doing some sit ups or crunches. If you can't do those, just do what you can and practice bending over. Stretching if you're morbidly obese is a good start. I don't know how big you are. I'm big and I know my limits and I even found NEW limits I reached as well. So you gotta PUSH yourself to do better and go harder and longer!

If you need motivation, or just need a friend to talk to, I AM HERE FOR YOU. I am here for everyone. Everyone is here for you!!!

MAKE THIS THE YEAR YOU CHANGE. NOT THE YEAR THAT CHANGES YOU!
  • makeupfanatic
    Options
    I'm 365, which is my heaviest ever. This has GOT to change, I'm a student looking for a new life, I want to be under 300 in six months. Thank you, really!
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 365, which is my heaviest ever. This has GOT to change, I'm a student looking for a new life, I want to be under 300 in six months. Thank you, really!
    You can do this Im sending you a friend request lets be friends we can cheer each other on let me know if you need anything and please make a doctors appointment and tell your doc you want to talk to the nutritionist
    make changes you can live with at first then make more before you know it you will be fine
  • makeupfanatic
    Options
    My ob/gyn (who is a lovely, amazing lady) is a member on here and referred me to the site actually.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Another vote for swimming or water aerobics.

Another possibility is a seated elliptical if you can find a gym that has them, they're kind of a specialty piece of equipment.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    Swim....
    dont be worried about how you look in the pool - only your amazing smile shows in the water!

if you have access to a gym who have something called Kinesis - give it a go..it is a big board which have weights on cables and you can pull, lift without having to break your back..

most gyms also have something called seated leg curll, or even a seated bike. A seated chest press would also be good -make sure your back is straight and dont try to do heavy weights - it is not about the weight it is about the fact that you are using muscles

Row - if they have an indoor rower then get on it, learn a good technique and row - perfect cardio without having to use the treadmil which can be scary and really hard on your knees...you are sitting on the rower so as long as you have a good technique and watch your back alignment you will be fine!
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    But I think the most important thing is - go through the gym door with your head up high!
    Be proud that you have already done most difficult part - Showed up!
    Not many people get that far
    Dont be ashamed that you are bigger than the people you see at the gym...who cares? it is a gym - people go there to work out - that is what you are there for!
    Even if you spend 10mins eyeing up the bike and then pedal for 3 - you pedalled for 3minutes which might be 3minutes longer than the day before! But the next day you will pedal 4minutes :)
    Dont measure yourself against others - you only have to beat yourself
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Can you go see a physical therapist? A good PT will be able to give you a "prescription" of exercises to work around your knee and strengthen it safely. Many of them offer inexpensive sessions if your insurance won't cover it.
  • makeupfanatic
    Options
    I'm a student so the insurance I have is limited and PT's have a huge waiting list. But thanks for the advice. :)
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put in another vote for Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds". She is pretty chatty, so I put her on mute and play my favorite music instead. Her steps are low impact and easy to follow. I've also been starting with "Just My Size" Yoga with Megan Garcia- and it's a great way to get moving in a slow way. Both are available on youtube and on dvd.

I'm 302 lbs, so my journey is long like yours!