C25K: Repeat week and Distance vs. Timed interval

I'm using the C25k app by Zen Labs. I'm two runs into Week 7 which is the 2.5 mile run or 25 minutes. I run at a pace that doesn't cover the distance during the 25 minutes, so both times I ran until I reached the distance. That turned out to be 31 minutes.

Both runs we're difficult. The first one, I had to really coax myself to go the whole 25 minutes. The remaining 6 minutes were pretty brutal. The second run, the 25 minutes wasn't so bad, but the remaining 6 minutes became increasingly difficult. Both times, I experienced some tightness in my lower back and my legs were pretty tired. The only positive note is that my ability to breathe has improved drastically since starting the program.

I'm wondering this: Should I trust the program and keep going or stick with Week 7 for a while? Should I be more concerned with keeping up with the app's timed intervals or run as necessary to cover the distance?

My inclination is to keep going. I've had urges to repeat weeks before but decided to push on until I couldn't physically complete the workout. But this is the first week I've experienced anything other than fatigue. The tension in my lower back is new.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• fragileelegance
    fragileelegance Posts: 102 Member
    I'd say listen to your body. I'm doing C25K as well and I found that when I slowed down the pace, it was easier to complete the runs ( i do the timed version) and I've begun to actually enjoy running. I get in the zone at a nice, steady pace and it feels great :)

I only repeated weeks if I kept stopping and couldn't go the whole way through.
  • musetle
    musetle Posts: 70
    I graduated the c25k program about a year ago and I would absolutely recommend aiming for the distance over speed. Go at a pace that feels comfortable for you, and even if its slower than what the program is up to, aim for the distance it sets. Get the 5k down first, you can always work on speed later.
  • hschiel
    hschiel Posts: 17 Member
    I think the distance is more important. I may just repeat Week 7...at least until I feel an improvement. It may never be easy, but I think moving on may be pushing it. Thanks!