Breakfast Timing

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Facts are facts.

BTW I have been posting all along.

I wondered where you straw men guys went to.

OK. Defend breakfast. Where are YOUR facts?

1. You stated no facts. Simply saying studies show without pointing to said studies means nothing. That is as relevant as me saying i created my own study where I ate ice cream every single night and got down to low bodyfat. Therefore, everyone should eat ice cream to get lean.

2. You didn't post right along. The other thread you posted in regarding the neurotic behavior of tracking calories where you asked if people could keep it up... you never responded to again after a handful of people checked back in citing that they have tracked for a period longer than 6 months. Nor did you respond to my question about maintaining a low body fat percentage while simply ball parking your caloric intake and macro breakdown.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. I eat breakfast anywhere from 6am to 11am, some people don't even eat breakfast. ;) It comes down to calories in vs out for weight loss. When you eat is purely based on your personal preference and sustainability.

+1

Calories are only part of the picture.

Sure, run a calories deficit long enough and you will lose weight.

But will you KEEP it off long term? Five years out?

Studies show the vast majority of people who just count calories count regain any weight lost within five years- either by going off their diet or just stopping exercise.

So calorie is NOT the answer long-term. It is SHORT-TERM only.

How many people on this board seeking to lose weight are back for another round of weight loss after rebounding from earlier efforts?

Dealing with hunger is the key to permanent weight loss. "Naturally" thin people are not controlled by having an empty stomach- they don't feel the need to fill it up immediately.

Meal timing is VERY relevant if someone wants to REALLY change their lives long-term.

You post the most irrelevant information. Any time you're challenged on a topic you just jump ship to another thread... such a joke.

Facts are facts.

you must have been force fed breakfast as a kid against your will or something…

breakfast has zero impact on gaining weight. I have done it both ways..skip breakfast and eat breakfast and both ways I was able to meet my goals…

overeating is what makes you fat…not a specific meal of the day.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    What makes you overeat?

Nothing "makes" you overeat. I dont overeat, I know a handful of other people who don't overeat.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    But the short answer is there is no reason to eat a morning meal, and several reasons not to.

There may be reasons to eat a morning meal.

Personal preference, dietary adherence, and performance based metrics that may be influenced by precise nutrient timing.

But these metrics will vary heavily from person to person.

Recommending that everyone skips breakfast is equally silly to recommending that everyone eat breakfast.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think steve098 has a point (though the "study" linked was simply a review of actual studies, and not one itself). Also, the review seems to indicate that the "diet" mindset (you know, the one where you are more conscious about decisions) is not necessarily the best option. The point steve098 makes, about being able to stick to a long-term plan, should be taken. Without the ability to adhere to a long-term plan, then yes, in today's society, putting the weight back on would be easy.

However, what has not been proven, one way or another, is that breakfast or meal timing is critical to ALL long-term plans. I think the biggest conclusion you can draw from this entire thread is that whatever plan you implement has to be one you can stick to. Otherwise, somewhere down the road you can fail.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant...

I eat breakfast around 6am. I adopted eating breakfast when I decided to lose weight. I had never been a breakfast eater. I have more energy throughout the day and I make healthier choices for the rest of the day. Other people may have different experiences.

Do what works best for you to help you reach your goals.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    But the short answer is there is no reason to eat a morning meal, and several reasons not to.

Personal preference, dietary adherence, and performance based metrics that may be influenced by precise nutrient timing.

Recommending that everyone skips breakfast is equally silly to recommending that everyone eat breakfast.

^^yep. Ignore people telling you to eat or not eat breakfast. Eat your meals in a cadence that allows you better adherence, better energy/performance and best fits your hunger/lifestyle.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to.

I haven't eat breakfast regularly since I was a child. I used to go through phases where I'd try to make myself eat, but they never lasted long because I'm not particularly hungry in the morning, nor do I usually wake up in time. Sometimes I eat it, sometimes I don't.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I have IBS that is made much worse in the the morning if I eat.
    I don't yoyo. I haven't eaten breakfast for years. That works for me.

Which option makes it easier to remain within your calorie goal? That's the only question you have to answer and go from there. :flowerforyou:
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    What makes you overeat?

Nothing "makes" you overeat. I dont overeat, I know a handful of other people who don't overeat.

If you are not overweight and trying to lose weight, then why do you criticize my posts with no facts and straw man assertions?

I'll just take it to a PM rather than ripping you up in the thread...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What makes you overeat?

If you are not overweight and trying to lose weight, then why do you criticize my posts with no facts and straw man assertions?

LOL. If that is you in your avatar, you wouldn't have a chance in any venue, bro.

You're not seriously bashing his physique are you?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What makes you overeat?

Sure..

Steve my man...you gotta be quicker than that in editing out your ad hominem attacks.

You make assertions about something...it is up to you to support them. You have not..at all...in any thread.

Also, you may want to not read things quite so literally - it may stop you from making an absolutely ludicrous attack on someone's physique in the future.
  • Amandainyaface
    Options
    Well that's mostly because you put yourself at risk of feeling dizzy and sluggish if you don't get down some energy first thing when you get up in the morning. Like, if your computer has low battery, you can change settings so it's on 'battery saving-mode', but this will likely make the computer slow and the screen will be very dark.

I don't know if this made sense to you or not, but really my point is you don't have to change your habits unless they don't suit you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

^^yep. Ignore people telling you to eat or not eat breakfast. Eat your meals in a cadence that allows you better adherence, better energy/performance and best fits your hunger/lifestyle.

hey, lets go easy on the common sense people….
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry - usually noon-ish, sometimes earlier, sometime later.

If someone else is making me bacon and eggs, though? Anytime!!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Facts are facts.

1. You stated no facts. Simply saying studies show without pointing to said studies means nothing. That is as relevant as me saying i created my own study where I ate ice cream every single night and got down to low bodyfat. Therefore, everyone should eat ice cream to get lean.

2. You didn't post right along. The other thread you posted in regarding the neurotic behavior of tracking calories where you asked if people could keep it up... you never responded to again after a handful of people checked back in citing that they have tracked for a period longer than 6 months. Nor did you respond to my question about maintaining a low body fat percentage while simply ball parking your caloric intake and macro breakdown.

Hi Bro.

Five years is the accepted limit for long-term success.

I hope all of your calorie-trackers make it, but statistics run against them.

Breakfast? 20% of people skip it as it is. And we all have enough stored fat to stop eating completely and live for weeks- if we remain hydrated. So saying that breakfast is essential doesn't make logical sense. There is no machinery to start up. Your glucose does just fine without a morning meal.

Hmmmm. Why do I get the feeling this might be one of my last posts?

Where are people who are disagreeing/debating with you saying breakfast is essential?

Not sure where you are pulling the 5 years from.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well, I honestly think it is important to eat all day. I eat 6 meals a day.....meals doesn't mean a lot of food, it could be yogurt and nuts or tuna and pretzels. It is good for your metabolism if u eat all day and drink tons of water. I have never heard any weight loss guru encourage u not to eat 4-6 meals a day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Well, I honestly think it is important to eat all day. I eat 6 meals a day.....meals doesn't mean a lot of food, it could be yogurt and nuts or tuna and pretzels. It is good for your metabolism if u eat all day and drink tons of water. I have never heard any weight loss guru encourage u not to eat 4-6 meals a day.

Timing your meals does not impact your metabolism, other than indirectly by eating in a way that provides the most energy, which is very individual.

There are a lot of 'gurus' who do not encourage you to eat 4 - 6 meals a day.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Timing your meals does not impact your metabolism, other than indirectly by eating in a way that provides the most energy, which is very individual.

You will get lots of opinions on here and most are only opinions including mine. U also have a bunch of unkind people. Do what works for u. No need to argue on these forums. It never helps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You will get lots of opinions on here and most are only opinions including mine. U also have a bunch of unkind people. Do what works for u. No need to argue on these forums. It never helps.

Not sure where the unkind is coming from. I am merely disagreeing with your comment as in my 'opinion' it is not correct. I would beg to differ that someone disagreeing with someone's comment they believe is wrong 'never helps. It helps the people reading a great deal imo.

I would have a read of this - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

Edited to fix typo and bad grammar