Running during winter?

Options
Just wondering how many people actually run outside during winter..

Replies

• farmgirlh
    Options
    When I can I prefer running outside, I just make sure it isn't raining when I do.
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do, as long as it is safe, not too icy or snowy.
  • tdixon00
    Options
    The cold usually pushes me inside a gym, i find I have more difficulty breathing in the cold air
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    The cold usually forces me to use one of my workout DVD, I have the cold, so I tend to not want to run in it......

I however, am going to try to run outside this winter, because when I don't run for long periods of time, when I start back, the 1st couple of days, my skin scratches me real bad, and it is very painful. Don't know why that is, but it happends
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    This will be my first winter so we will see, but yesterday it was north wind and rainy (horrid) and the day before north wind and snowing (not as horrid)

I posted about keeping warm whilst running in the cold as I sweat profusely (regardless of the temperature) and on tuesday it was bitterly cold and I got really cold coz my hair was dripping and the neck of my top too, any ideas people.......? I dont have an indoor option so it is outside or not at all :grumble:
  • Dark_Latin_Guy
    Dark_Latin_Guy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I will be running/jogging this winter. It will be my first time in the colder weather. Like the other post mentioned, practice caution and be smart, get the right gear, dress warm in layers, and stay hydrated.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I Live in Minnesota...I am definately inside on a treadmill :)
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    bump

will be my first winter after finding out that i like jogging outside. Today was 40F - fine, but not sure how I'll feel at sub-freezing temperatures~!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I prefer to always run outside. The only thing that forces me indoors is ice & snow, and as soon as that is plowed away, i'm back outside. The indoor track that i use has too many turns per mile(52) and they are banked, which is hard on my ankles and shins. I have cw-x thermal tights for cold weather and i layer wicking clothing on top, so as long as the temps are 20 degrees and up, i'm outside.:happy:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    As long as I can find a clear path/road or sidewalk I'll be outside. I dont mind the cold, the part I hate is running at night. If I have any reasonable chance at being prepared for my spring marathon, this is how it has to be.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I run outside all winter. Use moisture wicking fabrics (NO COTTON), reflective vest, flashlight, headlamp, and yaktraks for my shoes if it is slick. The coldest I ran was -10F last winter, with no issues, and could have gone colder. I wear a balaclava when it is below 10-20 degrees b/c the cold air hurts my lungs, too, and that helps.

HTH.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that I can do some running outside this winter. I have tried the treadmill, but its just not for me. I don't really care for the track at the gym either. I want to keep my running going however, as I'm planning a 7 mile run in July that is nothing but hills, so I gotta keep it up. I LOVE running outside....I run away from the house, that way I still have to run back! :laugh: I'm hoping we don't get a ton of snow! I'm in the Quad Cities - Illinois/Iowa border on the Mississippi River.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    I live in Minnesota and have run many times in the deep of Winter. It's SO worth it just for the crazy looks people in warm cars give you. =D. I'll avoid icy and windy days and head to a treadmill instead. One tip I would offer besides layering without cotton and wearing hi-visibility clothing plus flashy lights if it's dark, is to pick up one of those neoprene half-facemasks that skiers & snowboarders wear. The have breathing vents and will not only help to warm the air going into your lungs, they'll help you avoid frostbite.

Watch your step and good luck!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    Dang auto-correct!! That should be 'WEARING' not 'eating' hi-viz clothing... :laugh:

Is there a way to edit a post after it's been submitted?!? Nevermind...I found it! =D
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Dang auto-correct!! That should be 'WEARING' not 'eating' hi-viz clothing...

Is there a way to edit a post after it's been submitted?!?

i did a double-take when i read your first post :laugh:
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I do. In fact, it's flurrying today and I'm planning on getting out there instead of the treadmill. the snow melts off here much quicker than people think and as long as it's not terribly icy or windy, I'd rather run outside.

Wear layers and hydrate. Just because it doesn't feel like you're sweating, you still need water. i will almost always wear a turtleneck under my running jacket if it's cold. I prefer a ski band for around my ears as opposed to a hat, but that's a personal choice.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    This is a great article on night running, which is what I do most winter. I stick to the irrigation ditches to avoid vehicles.

http://www.marathonnation.us/marathon-training/night-running-how-to-get-stay-fit-with-daylight-savings-time/
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i intended to, but i got up this morning, took one look at the falling snow and headed right back to bed. lol. so, we'll see. :)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I live in the Phoenix area in Arizona and this is absolutely the time of year to get outside, then come June it's indoors or in water! I don't know how people who live in snowy areas manage to even get out of bed in the morning let alone run in it :noway:
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I can't run outside during the summer. o_o
    (perhaps this is because I insist on wearing long pants and sleeves during the summer, and t-shirts in winter. So I have to run to keep warm.)
    It's kind of hard to find time, because of school, but I have a school by my house, so it's a safe place to run at night.