Protein

Options
Hi all! My problem is that I don't eat ENOUGH of it. I'm not a big meat eater but I do love soy and beans, which I know have protein in them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to up the protein intake without upping the animal product intake? I don't drink milk, in fact, I don't care for much that's actually made with milk. I eat soy yoghurt and drink soy milk. However, i do enjoy the occasional slice of swiss.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :happy:

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I put a packet of "instant breakfast" in my almond milk ever morning. It has 13 grams of protein in it. And its soo good!
  • lovinyoutwo
    lovinyoutwo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    deer meat is very high on protein and it's very good
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using protein powder and making smoothies? I use ProComplex - I like it the best and it has 30g of protein a scoop. My fav way to use it right now is to put one banana in the blender with 1/2 cup of fat free milk (you can use water and yogurt too), 1/4 c frozen blueberries or raspberries and 1 scoop of the protein powder. Also, GoLean makes one of their cereals with 13g of protein a serving and it is actually very tasty. I like Zone protein bars as well but the carbs are a bit higher than I like, but it is 14g of protein. Just a couple ideas - I have a lot of friends who are vegetarians and these are a few of the things they do as well.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eggs have a lot of protein.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    whey powder. bought mine from gnc a while ago, forgot about it and am using it again for the calories and protein. low on sugar too.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Special K Protein Meal bars have 10 grams of protein, or roughly that. Also peanut butter has protein, but be careful with peanut butter because it also has fat. Almonds are great too! I don't know if you like cottage cheese, but I love the 1% milk fat cottage cheese, and 1/2 cup has 13 grams of protein. The Kashi Trail Mix Chewy bars have 6 per serving. Just have to look around, but it's there.
  • mossmommy
    Options
    Edamame. It has a ton of protein
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do have soy protein powder for shakes, which I need to get back into the habit of using. I usually eat one serving of peanut butter or nut butter a day.

I like venison but it's super rich (which gives me an upset stomach) so I don't eat too much of it. I love eggs and eat them quite a bit.

Are there more plant based foods that are high in protein? I eat tons of soy whether it's tofu, milk, yoghurt, or snack bars.
  • cjnorman
    Options
    There is another message board discussing no meat protein options. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/131669-high-protein-no-meat
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a sub you can use in the place of rice and it is a good source of protein. Almonds are another good snack that would give you some protein.
  • smedlund
    Options
    Fabulous! Thanks guys! I will check out the other forum post and that website.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do have soy protein powder for shakes, which I need to get back into the habit of using. I usually eat one serving of peanut butter or nut butter a day.

I like venison but it's super rich (which gives me an upset stomach) so I don't eat too much of it. I love eggs and eat them quite a bit.

Are there more plant based foods that are high in protein? I eat tons of soy whether it's tofu, milk, yoghurt, or snack bars.

careful with some soy proteins, there's hidden additives. :) Make sure you get a good protein; it needs to have low fat (less than 2g's per serving) and low carbs (less than 3g's per carbs). I use Isoflex by Allmax from Popeye's supplements. They have amazing flavours, I'm currently having Chocolate Mint, and last one was chocolate peanut butter... SOO GOOD
  • smedlund
    Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty picky about my soy products. The ones I eat are pretty good.

I want to know where you got this chocolate peanut butter stuff. I would like to get some of that!
  • azmomof2
    azmomof2 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My fav way to add protein besides the obvious choices is to have a slice of Julian Bakery smart carb bread during the day at some point. It has 12 grams of protein and fiber and only 1 net carb! It's really good with all natural peanut butter or almond butter even cream cheese! Oh and no sugar in it as well!
  • cjduckie
    cjduckie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. My trainer put me on a 40-40-20% diet (Carbs-Protein-Fat) and I initially found it very difficult to eat the needed Protein amount without going over my calorie allowance. My solution is: Tuna (canned in water), steamed chicken breasts (no skin), and egg whites (ditch the yolks - they're full of fat and take up all your calories). Finally, to make up the rest of my protein allowance - I have a Spirutein shake either for breakfast, or after my evening workout - however, I don't mix it with milk as suggested, it doesn't taste much different mixed with water but has only half the calories. Another good one is Yoplait Forme No Fat yoghurts - they have something like 5g protein per 125g tub, but only total 50cals and they're really tasty too. It's been working for me - I've been losing an average of 2 - 3lbs each week for the past 4 weeks :) Happy days! Also, we measured last night, and I've lost between 6 and 12 cm all over my body! Good luck!!!
  • smedlund
    Options
    I looked up the Spirutein and it looks pretty good. I'm thinking I need to get some. They have cherry flavored! That's my second favorite flavor...next to peanut butter!
  • cjduckie
    cjduckie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I really like Spirutein, to me it tastes better than most shakes I've tried. I like the chocolate and vanilla flavours, I find the chocolate one helps to satisfy my chocolate cravings too :) In fact, I'm having a spirutein shake right now, haha =D
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Seafood,turkey,chicken has protein in it why not try that?