so sore .... rest day or no rest day that is the question!

Options
So me and my sister started the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution on the first. The way the schedule works is you workout six days then rest. Each video focuses on different parts of the body so you don't work the same musels back to back.... its like every 3 days. My question is should we take extra rest days or work push passed the sorness. We are both are just starting out and haven't worked out very much so any advice would be appreciated.

PS I am not looking for an excuse to stop... we are motivated and want to keep going. I just wasn't sure what would be better for my body.

Replies

• hanab1987
    hanab1987 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with DOMS as well doing her 30 day shred. I turned to Google for advice on reducing the soreness and came across L-Glutamine supplements (it's an amino acid) and there were lots of good reviews on Amazon about them so I gave them a try... All I can say is wow, I take 2 500mg pills 1 hour before working out and then have a protein shake afterwards and it's amazed me how much less I hurt! Can certainly still feel that I've exercised but the pain doesn't affect me as much and I can down the stairs no problem!!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If you're new to working out or injury prone, I suggest taking a rest day to do yoga & stretch out those muscles.You don't want to injure yourself. If you were moderately active before, you should be fine. I suggest Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown (free on youtube) once or twice a week. That will help a lot with your flexibility. Good luck!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you feel you need another rest day then take it. The schedule they give you is only a suggestion. You can go every three days then rest, and continue on like that if you want. Listen to your body...it will tell you what it needs.