New take on life

Options
Hello! My name is Chris I am 26 years old living near Tampa FL. I am originally from upstate NY (way upstate, none of that Buffalo and Syracuse crap) and I am excited to join you all on here! I have had myfitnesspal for a long time but havent used it effectively. I am a former soldier in the US Army, and a former college and semi pro football player. I am on here because I have some pretty big goals to overcome weight wise and I want to live an overall healthier life style! I am looking forward to blogging on here every day (started today) and achieving my goals over the next year and beyond!

I hope you all had a great new year, and I look forward to joining you all on this journey to being healthier!

Replies

• Teee71
    Teee71 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chris, feel free to add me if you like :) I am looking for friends, although my postings may be a few hours off as I am in the UK. Good luck with your journey
  • o0oDeuceo0o
    o0oDeuceo0o Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    Just wanted to say if i can do this anyone can, ive never had much will power or drive for losing weight but since i found this site and logged everything ive never ever been over my daily allowance for calories. At the start of my journey i really never saw myself getting there but over the last 6 months ive stuck to it (yeah it been very hard and a few times i wanted to quit) and i feel 1000 times better for it, feel free to add me if you like as ill help you in anyway i can ect.

Good luck in your journey. :)

p.s im in the UK so might reply odd hours for you lol
  • melissayoungblood
    melissayoungblood Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris, I to am new here. Looked into it a year ago but decided to do something about it now and put it to use. I need all the motivation I can get. Welcome and best of luck!
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started! I went from a high of 182 lbs down to 150 lbs using this site. It's an incredibly powerful tool when it is used properly and faithfully. Good luck!

If you notice that I'm over 160 now, it's because I've gained 10 lbs while lifting trying to build muscle mass and now that the new year has kicked in, I'm going to cut back to 150. The great thing about the site is that once you gain confidence in it, you can feel comfortable having a bad weekend because you know that you'll get it back in the next week. Enjoy life and have a doughnut every now and again!
  • fluffymaggie3
    fluffymaggie3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris !! I took a 6 month health vacation, and now it is time for me to pay for it !! In the past, with using Myfitness Pal, weight loss happened !! I have some good size goals too, and support will make our journey easier !! Lets do this !!
  • cjanaro
    cjanaro Posts: 33
    Options
    I really appreciate all of your support! I added you all as friends, I can't wait to achieve all of our goals together!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I would like to follow your progress. Please friend me.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Chris I am 26 years old living near Tampa FL. I am originally from upstate NY (way upstate, none of that Buffalo and Syracuse crap) and I am excited to join you all on here! I have had myfitnesspal for a long time but havent used it effectively. I am a former soldier in the US Army, and a former college and semi pro football player. I am on here because I have some pretty big goals to overcome weight wise and I want to live an overall healthier life style! I am looking forward to blogging on here every day (started today) and achieving my goals over the next year and beyond!

I hope you all had a great new year, and I look forward to joining you all on this journey to being healthier!

Good for you, Chris! What is your plan?
  • cjanaro
    Options

Diet is key for me, I have no probem working hard but my diet has always been pitiful. What I have been eating the last few days is fruits, nuts, veggies, salads, protein shakes and grilled/baked proteins. Starting monday I am switching to only fruits nuts veggies and protein shakes for 3 weeks, I am taking a detox tea as well. I think this will set me up to eliminate a lot of cravings and by saying 3 weeks for me it gives me a goal date and makes it much harder to quit. After 3 weeks I will switch back to adding grilled/baked proteins and eating normal, but healthy. Every 3 weeks I am going to switch between these 2 diets, I figure it will clean my body of toxins and eliminate most cravings.

Workout wise I am looking for a new job right now which means I had to quit my gym. I am still employed but took a massive pay cut for 2014 and we're facing a lot of layoffs. This means for me that I will be doing a lot of running/jogging/pushups/situps and I borrowed a copy of p90x from a friend. Once I switch jobs I will be back in the gym. Right now my workouts are light, before I get into heavy runs I want to drop weight so I can take stress off my knees.. I never had that problem before but I have never tried to run at 350 either! By the end of my first 3 week phase I expect to be down enough in weight to ramp up my cardio and see bigger results.

I am nowhere near an expert but I took a lot of this from vlogs and whatever reasearch I could do, I think it will work but I am more than welcome to any suggestions!
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Diet is key for me, I have no probem working hard but my diet has always been pitiful. What I have been eating the last few days is fruits, nuts, veggies, salads, protein shakes and grilled/baked proteins. Starting monday I am switching to only fruits nuts veggies and protein shakes for 3 weeks, I am taking a detox tea as well. I think this will set me up to eliminate a lot of cravings and by saying 3 weeks for me it gives me a goal date and makes it much harder to quit. After 3 weeks I will switch back to adding grilled/baked proteins and eating normal, but healthy. Every 3 weeks I am going to switch between these 2 diets, I figure it will clean my body of toxins and eliminate most cravings.

Workout wise I am looking for a new job right now which means I had to quit my gym. I am still employed but took a massive pay cut for 2014 and we're facing a lot of layoffs. This means for me that I will be doing a lot of running/jogging/pushups/situps and I borrowed a copy of p90x from a friend. Once I switch jobs I will be back in the gym. Right now my workouts are light, before I get into heavy runs I want to drop weight so I can take stress off my knees.. I never had that problem before but I have never tried to run at 350 either! By the end of my first 3 week phase I expect to be down enough in weight to ramp up my cardio and see bigger results.

I am nowhere near an expert but I took a lot of this from vlogs and whatever reasearch I could do, I think it will work but I am more than welcome to any suggestions!

Yes, eating at a daily calorie deficit is essential to losing weight. I'm sure you used the formula that MFP has set up for projecting what your daily caloric intake range needs to be based on your activity and reasonable weekly weight loss goals?

There's a lot of good tools available, however, be sensible and realistic, there are NO magic bullets, pills or potions available to make you lose your fat! You didn't gain it overnight and you are certainly not going to lose it overnight.

Welcome to MFP (again) and enjoy the journey!
  • bno76
    bno76 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Chris. Sounds like you have a great plan! I'm finding the cravings particularly hard at the moment and hope that they will eventually disappear. I've sent you a friends request and look forward to following your journey :)
  • cjanaro
    Options
    Hi Chris. Sounds like you have a great plan! I'm finding the cravings particularly hard at the moment and hope that they will eventually disappear. I've sent you a friends request and look forward to following your journey :)
    Thanks for the support! Cravings are rough and a very difficult hurdle! I am looking to replace certain foods too. I downloaded an app called fooducate (I am sure most people on here have it) that grades food when you scan the bar code. I am eating only highly rated stuff and looking to replace things like chips with dried banana chips. Although i havent found a replacement for pizza and wings (and probably never will) I figure a detox like my plan will help push out the chemicals that make you crave certain foods.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    An important thing to remember is to make sure to that you pick foods that you'll be willing to eat in the long term. The biggest fallacy in the world is trusting weight watchers meals or other similar methods to lose weight. Might work great in the short term, but can you eat healthy without them? You've got to make sure to pick foods that you enjoy to stay within your healthy limits. If you don't like what you eat, it's easy to binge on the wrong stuff.