Paleo Snack Ideas

Options
I've been happily munching on almonds, cashews, walnuts, and macadamia nuts throughout the morning and afternoon while at work. Keeps me full and keeps my hands distracted from the numerous and constant stream of other foods available. Recently, I was told I can't bring nuts to work because we're a tree-nut-free facility. Originally I thought we were only peanut-free which is why I thought I was okay.

I do usually have a serving a fruit midmorning and mid afternoon but it just doesn't really sustain me. I don't care for raw veggies and I don't have access to a stove or have any way to heat things up during my shift. Because I'm excluding grain and dairy based products from my diet right now I'm feeling really stumped as to where to turn for snacks.

Also, just a little tiny rant, I know for a fact no one in our facility has any nut allergies and it's just a corporate standard… SO FRUSTRATING! /end rant

Replies

• tabithamason
    Options
    Ugh! Are you in a position where you could pop out to your car and have a snack? It would get you up and moving if you sit at work and still let you have your nutty goodness.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Jerky and dried fruit are good options. You can easily make your own sweet potato chips.

Coconut typically doesn't fall under nut allergies and if you haven't broadcast that you're going dairy free, most people will assume that you're drinking normal milk if you bring coconut milk. You can also get coconut milk based yogurts too, not sure if they technically fall under whatever definition of paleo you might be using.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Tabithamason- That's a good idea but probably won't work as I care for infants and toddlers.

shutupandlift- jerky sounds great! hadn't thought of that. I think I'm going to skip the dried fruit as I'm watching fructose/ sugar. I've also never really gotten on well with the taste of coconut milk and I'm trying to stay away from processed/ packaged things. I may give the coconut milk another try though.

Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Jerky and dried fruit are good options. You can easily make your own sweet potato chips.

Coconut typically doesn't fall under nut allergies and if you haven't broadcast that you're going dairy free, most people will assume that you're drinking normal milk if you bring coconut milk. You can also get coconut milk based yogurts too, not sure if they technically fall under whatever definition of paleo you might be using.

Trader Joes has sweet potato chips if youre too lazy to make them but I doubt theyre paleo approved.

I concur on jerky.
    Id pick raisins or craisins for dried fruit personally so there's more to eat in a sserving (vs banana chips or something)
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    google for the recipes online -- all can be made ahead of time -- Just a few off my list LOL

- Prosciuto chips

- cauliflower popcorn

- Kale chips

- boiled eggs

- diced meat

- precooked bacon

- bacon wrapped avocado

- Make “chicken nuggets” coated in coconut flour and egg

- wrapped melon in ham or turkey slices

- Black & green olives

- pork rinds

- deviled eggs
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Bone marrow.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you go with jerky: try to find one locally produced. Commercially available ones have a lot of extra stuff and a lot of sugar.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Good tips, thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to try jerky (I have a friend with a smoker so it will be all good stuff and no preservatives), kale chips, cauliflower popcorn, olives, and deviled eggs. Love the idea of grab-able bite-size things that pack a nutritional punch that will be easy to have on hand between picking up babies all day.

Thanks again for the information, MFP
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good tips, thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to try jerky (I have a friend with a smoker so it will be all good stuff and no preservatives), kale chips, cauliflower popcorn, olives, and deviled eggs. Love the idea of grab-able bite-size things that pack a nutritional punch that will be easy to have on hand between picking up babies all day.

Thanks again for the information, MFP
    If you're less strict about the paleo/primal: roasted chickpeas are good.
    Seasoned seaweed too.