Calories burned..

Options
Ok so I keep seeing posts about people eating there calories burned. Do you have to? Seriously because I don't exercise until 7pm that's the only time I have to do it. And my Dr. advised me not to eat after 7:30. Suggestions? ..Anybody? And who came up with the eating your burned calories back?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It depends on your calorie goal. You don't want to go below 1200 net calories or you'll go into starvation mode. My calorie goal is set for 1210 cals. On days I exercise (burning 400-600 cals) I eat at least half of them back. You really do need to eat at least some of the cals you burned from exercising. If you exercise late in the day and can't eat enough afterwards, eat them earlier. If you know what exercise you'll be doing you can enter it in early in the day, that way you'll be able to eat enough. If you work out at the gym and rely on the machines to tell you what you burned just use the approximation MFP gives you and then put in the real number later.
  • dachsiehaven
    dachsiehaven Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Honestly I try not to eat my exercise calories back. After years on that point counting program I have been trained that exercise points/calories are bonus. If you eat them ok but if you don't its good too. On that other tracking system I liked to see that big happy number of unused exercise points at the end of each week.

Anne
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I usually think of it as staying at the 1200 calorie minimum, just to be safe, so I base my minimum of the day on 1200+exercise cals.

Simple solution? You know what days you plan to workout and the general amount of cals you burn usually- aim to eat more during the day- maybe make breakfast a little more than it would be and make dinner a little more about prepping your body for the workout. That way it's in your system to be burned. My metabolism actually really responds to this- I had take out 2x last week but followed by long, brisk walks (UPS store is pretty far from my apt and public transit) and by my weigh in I had a 2lb loss (even though I'm usually pretty steady at 1lb per week).

Everyone is different, but I suggest you try it to see how your body responds cuz you really won't know until you try.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    They say you are supposed to - and I do eat some back so my body does not go into starvation - but never all. If this is a lifestyle change for you you have to eat enough to be satisfied so you can live like this forever (with a few more calories in maintenance mode).
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have to work out daily after work and dont get home till 7 but i will stillleat something small. you just want to make sure that you dont eat too less or u actually wont lose weight trust me thats what happend with me. you dont have to eat all your cals burned just add ur excercise and make sure and try and stay under your goal cals for the day
  • bespino
    Options
    It depends on your calorie goal. You don't want to go below 1200 net calories or you'll go into starvation mode. My calorie goal is set for 1210 cals. On days I exercise (burning 400-600 cals) I eat at least half of them back. You really do need to eat at least some of the cals you burned from exercising. If you exercise late in the day and can't eat enough afterwards, eat them earlier. If you know what exercise you'll be doing you can enter it in early in the day, that way you'll be able to eat enough. If you work out at the gym and rely on the machines to tell you what you burned just use the approximation MFP gives you and then put in the real number later.

Not to hijack the thread, but are you overestimating your exercise calories burned? (400-600) That's equivalent to running full-tilt on a treadmill for 2 hours (full-tilt mind you) or. If you're doing 30-45 minutes of strenuous cardio and 15-20 minutes of weights, we're talking more in the ball-park of 300-400. Just a thought... I just hope everyone's not trusting the calorie meters on the gym machines (i.e. elipticals).
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them AFTER you workout. In your case, if you know you are going to exercise at night, you can just add a couple hundred more calories into your meals during the day. This will help make sure you have enough fuel for your workout later.
  • bubblez_x3
    Options
    I dont think I am over estimating because I am obese I just started walking on the treadmill so machine said 100+ calories, and when I entered it here it said the same I am starting out small so I dont hurt myself.
  • bubblez_x3
    Options
    Thank you everybody for this info it's so confusing when you first start out!
  • Photoplex
    Photoplex Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The "don't eat after a certain time" thing is a fallacy.