Reactive Hypoglycemia Diet Help

Options

Replies

• laswindall1025
    laswindall1025 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have not formally been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia but am almost positive that is what I have. I go to.the doctor 1/8/14 and hopefully I will get my answers. I am a 8.5 year post op gastric bypass patient and just in the past 2/3 years have been effected by low blood sugar. For the longest I have been going through some realll bad effects of reactive hypoglycemia. For one I get distorted vision and sometime have black outs where I can not see anything for a few seconds then.it clears up only to.happen again. I also get the shakes, confusion, sweats,hunger after just eating 30 minutesto a few hours earlier. I have just recently been checking my blood sugar with a blood sugar meter and at my lowest it has been in the upper 40's. The highest I have seen it was in the 130's and that was 30 minutes after eating lunch but soon afterwards went down to the 60's. I was wondering if anyone else on here that had reactive hypoglycemia is a post gastric bypass patient. I would love to here your symptoms..Also do any of you have any of the symptoms I have described? Please send me a fitness pal friend request
    I would love to be your friend on here. I have gained about 40 pounds back since losing my.weigjt from surgery. I am working hard to.get it off but don't really know how to eat without effecting my reactive hypoglycemia. Any and all help and suggestions are appreciated nd welcomed.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I already space my meals out while i'm at work but I don't think I am eating the right combinations of food for said meals. You see I typically eat (this week for example) 8 am 2 eggs, light greek yogurt, and a piece of fruit for breakfast. I think eat something for a snack that is quick since I am at work typically just a piece of fruit or crackers or something usually around 10. By the time I get in my car at noon to go home for lunch I can already feel my blood sugar dropping. (thank god I only live 5 minutes from my office) I know the generals of this condition but I don't think I am eating the right combinations of food at the right times. I guess I am looking for like examples of meals etc.

The examples of foods you gave seem low in fat (all except for eggs). My blood sugar goes crazy when I don't have sufficient fat in my diet. I eat an LCHF diet, which is high fat, moderate protein and low carb, it works for me, I hope you find what works for you.
  • SheGlistensasSheSings
    Options
    I have really bad reactive hypoglycemia too! Feel free to add me.
    Yes and celiac soy corn allergy so almost no grains.
    Upping protein quantity at meals (even if has led to weight gain cause of sweet tooth which always hungers)
    Has changed helped my blood sugar tremendously!! Wow I can for hours longer than before than in years.

My weakness is berries. I try to pair them always with plain greek yogurt to balance out the fructose but its still too much for my insulin tolerance and I get a rush crash. Sometes before bed that helps me fall asleep but otherwise not recommended.

Yeah protein has made a huge differrence! Sometimes I have to force it but the benefit is joyous. Not that I've reached anywhere near perfection but can endure a lot more.
    Feel free to add me for support sharing ideas and camaraderie ????
    Cheers!!
  • bgriscom18
    Options
    Recently had massive episodes of blood sugar crashing 2 hours after eating. These would lead to panic attacks and my body tingling. I use to have this episodes randomly and didn't think too much of them but since thanksgiving I have attack after attack and ended up at urgent care. So finally went to the doctor and yes it is reactive hypoglycemia.

I am trying to find the balance that works for me, right now I seem to have to eat about every 2 hours to stop another major crash. I am looking for diet ideas, I will be visiting a nutritionist soon, but I can't function right now so I need to modify it now. I have been trying to go heavy on protein and fats and vegetables. I add a little complex carbs from rice and it seems to be working okay.

To make things more complicated I also have eosinophilic esophagitis which makes it hard to swallow, scarring of the esophagus, heartburn, etc. Was recently diagnosed this in September. This is brought upon by food allergies and environment allergies. So I am suppose to avoid eggs, corn, wheat, peanuts, soy, walnuts, and mustard. The peanuts, eggs, and soy are very tricky as I would love to eat those for sources of protein. I also travel 99% for work so if anyone has suggestions for diets with travel, namely with snacks. It would be hard for me to get every two hours and grab a piece of meat and cheese from the fridge at the client site.

Looking for some idea!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've been hypoglycemic for almost 30 years. Here's what keeps my sugar in control:

- Eating every few hours. Protein heavy breakfast, veggies or yogurt for the morning snack, protein rich lunch, fruits in the afternoon (your sugar is naturally lower in the afternoon and the sugar boost will be used properly at that point), protein rich dinner, fiber snack (good one is popcorn!).
    - Low carbs. Carbs cause sugar spikes.
    - Dark green veggies like spinach, broccoli, okra, green beans, etc. will help.
    - Lots of water!
    - A form of protein nearly every time you eat.
    - Avoid sugary foods as much as possible. If you have a piece of holiday pie, cut it in half and make sure you eat a lot of protein, too!

If you find you're crashing:

- Drink a glass of orange juice. It will bring your sugar slowly back into control and then eat something high protein.
    - A spoonful of peanut butter will do the same thing.

Do not:
    - Eat a piece of candy to stop a reaction--this will just make things horribly worse and take longer to recover.
    - Choose fruits that are high in sugar naturally (watermelon is my biggest weakness).

Everyone is different, but this is what I generally follow and it works really well for me.

Hopefully that helps!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Your snacks of crackers and fruit are almost straight carbs. I always keep protein bars and packs of almonds on hand. They are in my purse, my bag, and in my box and closet at work. Busy days can get kind of crazy and we don't always get to eat when we should. I really like quest bars, Dr. Schulze superfood apple cinnamon crunch bars, and emerald 100 calorie packs cocoa roast almonds. Plain almonds are probably better, but I like the pre-made packages and LOVE chocolate:)
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this board! I was diagnosed over ten years ago with Reactive Hypoglycemia and it has been a battle. My Dr. at the time said to do Adkins, which is fine for a week or two but awful for a lifetime way to eat. It did not work for me. At this time I do a quasai South Beach but sure could use some help. Looking forward to gleening some good ideas here.

Me too! I had been tested for Diabetes as it runs in my family but that came up negative so my doctor said it had to be Hypoglycemia!
  • Pamm8577
    Pamm8577 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Are you still on here? I have been dx with Reactive Hypoglycemia due to a adrenal gland disease. Its been the hardest thing I have ever been through. I have had it for 10 months now. Makes you feel terrible. Trying to eat right is the hardest, not knowing what to eat is my thing. I got my breakfast down to a science but the rest is a challenge because I am never hungry. Vision is Blurry Excessive Fatigue. I take steroids for my adrenal disease and it seems to make it worse. I too have had alot of test done all negative. I read it takes awhile of eating right without sugars and NO CAFFEINE before you level out. How does one eat when your not hungry? I am a part of a Reactive Hypoglycemia support group on Facebook and it has helped me alot. Join us
  • 30lbsorbust
    30lbsorbust Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm much older than you, but it appears that we are up against the same battle. I am now trying hard to be proactive and eat before my blood sugar drops, which allows me to eat more sensibly. I eat something every 2-3 hours. It may be a stick of Weight Watcher cheese, a Tblsp. of Peter Pan "Whipped" peanut butter, a few nuts (no more than 8), a hard-boiled egg or a Tblsp of hummus. It doesn't take much to curb the BS drop, but it is important to keep it moderated. I have reduced breads, white rice and white pastas 95%, sweets (other than low fat) by 90%. I feel so much better! I am eating as healthy as possible and eat three meals and three snacks during the day. I am 60 years old, started MFP at 161.4 lbs in Sept. and am now at 144.9 and have lost over 17' (total). Weight loss for me is slow, but I have learned to accept and deal with slow. Please feel free to respond if you want or send me a friend request.
  • 30lbsorbust
    30lbsorbust Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I always keep some nuts in my purse, in my car and at work. I have found peanut butter or hard boiled egg or hummus are quick fixes ("whipped" peanut butter goes down easiest). I take Chromium Picolinate (inexpensive and avail wherever supplements are found) help me as well as speed my metabolism and give me a little energy without the jitters.
  • valcraig2
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am basically on here to help my husband. Although we both have a lot of weight to lose, he has been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. It literally kills every diet we get on because he is not able to recover with orange juice, cheese, or meat. He HAS to have candy and have it now. He goes way low. He has been down to 30. So tell me what particular "diet" you have found to be workable. A certain number of calories, atkins, south beach, etc. That's the information I want to know and then I have to figure out how to split this into several little meals for him. Problem is, we are always on the go, so everything has to be able to be packed and carried with him. He's here for breakfast, and then he's here for supper and that's the only meals he eats here, (well also a bedtime snack of course), but everything between breakfast and supper needs to be, "on the go" type meals.

Thanks for any help. I'm at a loss to know what to do. Please Help
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Valcraig2: I have severe reactive hypoglycemia. I am extremely insulin sensitive.

First off, skip the specific diets. Just eat in moderation and plan to eat roughly 1300-1400 calories a day. If you are exercising however, you may need more calories. So more detail would be great.

Meal prepping is going to be a necessity for you and your husband especially due to his RH. The food needs to be ready because when your sugar is low, you are going to grab anything in sight. Pick a day (probably the weekend) where you will prepare food for an entire week. Then measure out serving sizes and package away in containers. I hope you have lunch boxes and ice packs to keep food cold.

The first mistake your husband is making is eating candy when he is crashing. Don't worry, LOTS of people with RH make this mistake because they want what's going to make them feel better the fastest, which is candy, soda, juice, etc. That's the worst thing you can do though because what's going to happen is a roller coaster effect… up down up down up down. He's going to crash, he's going to eat candy, he's going to spike, and then he's going to crash again. HOWEVER if he is EXTREMELY low, like in the 30s or 40s, he does need to drink 1 cup of juice. Then eat a mixed meal (carb, protein, fat). If he is in the 50s, 60s, or 70s, a spoonful or two of peanut butter will hold him over until he can eat a mixed meal.

Your husband should not go more than 2-3 hours without eating. This is very important. Some days he may have to eat within an hour. It all depends on his blood sugar.

He needs to eliminate refined carbs (cookies, cakes, cupcakes, muffins, pastas, white bread). Instead he should be eating complex carbs: sweet potatoes, whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, brown rice, etc. However, when he eats complex carbs, he MUST eat protein with it. At least 15 grams preferably. Your husband should not consume more than 45 g of carbs per meal. My dietician told me 30-45 g carbs per meal. At snacks, he should consume between 15-30 g carbs.

Fiber also helps slow down your blood sugar from crashing. Keep lots of veggies in the house and have them pre-cut. Cucumber sticks, celery sticks, carrot sticks, red/orange/yellow pepper sticks, etc. If he doesn't like veggies alone, make a dip from plain greek yogurt mixed with Hidden valley ranch seasoning powder. It's way better than pre made dressings.

Protein needs to be eaten at every meal.

By the way, is your husband on medication for RH? I take Metformin and it helps me.
  • cwtchme
    cwtchme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed with hypoglycemia following a stroke when i was 17 years old. I'm not on any medication for that (I'm on plenty of medication for my arthritis instead). To ensure that I don't have crashes I have porridge for breakfast with some strawberries or apple cut up in it. I have a cereal bar mid morning. Lunch at 12 - salad followed by a yogurt. Mid afternoon i have some fruit. When I get home from work i have my main meal and. if I need it, i have some toast and hot chocolate before bed.

I keep a funsized mars bar in my desk drawer and handbag at work just in case I have a crash but I usually keep it under control.
  • sisterbriggs
    Options
    I also have reactive hypoglycemia. I have battled with it for about 3 years then finally saw a Dr. Now that I know what is wrong with me I can control it better. I agree that eating candy to raise blood sugar isn't good but sometimes it's all you have. I used to crave crackers or chips when mine would plummet. Now I take Metfomin and follow the South Beach diet. All the tips on this blog are great! This has been the best information I've had so far. My doctor didn't even tell me that my condition had a name! Thanks to everyone for all the help. :-)
  • jewlster1259
    jewlster1259 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed yesterday with RH, however I have had the symptoms since early childhood. I am seeing lots of talk about low blood sugar levels and am wondering if I am supposed to be monitoring them with a digital monitor or if I will just get to know about what they are, over time?
  • SarahJackson77
    SarahJackson77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my mum and I both suffer with low blood sugar possibly I feel reactive hypoglycemia, and reading all this has been brilliant. For my mum and I we're both stuck in a complex carbs rut :( and I'm personally so fussy about foods which I hate, so if anyone one has any simple breakfast and lunch meal ideas I would be very grateful :) and add me as a friend to help keep me on track x
  • katiegretel
    Options
    I have also recently been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia and I, too am really struggling with the right combinations to keep from crashing. My endocrinologist prescribed me Acarbose. It helped at first, but I'm back to figuring out foods again. Best advice I can give you is lots of eggs!! I eat scrambled eggs and a banana every morning for bf, but the consistency kind of stops there. Some foods that I've done well with are: chicken quesadillas (I usually prepare 3-4 at a time on Sunday night for lunches)-whole wheat tortilla, shredded chs, spinach, tomato and chicken with spices of ur choice on the chicken (I sautée it before I make the quesadilla in the skillet). Next is egg salad, tuna salad, edamames, regular salad (preferably with chicken in it or with garbonzo beans. I have learned to like black beans, garbonzo beans, and quinoa. All good sources of protein and complex carbs. Just made some vegetable soup and that did well. Also made baked chicken quinoa in oven (quinoa replaces rice/pasta). Lastly, make sure u are eating all whole wheat and whole grain pasta and bread. My MD said veggies are good anytime that are supposed to be slow releasing carbs. I usually dip them in something (beer cheese, queso, or regular veggie dip)-more protein and holds me longer than plain raw veggies.

Fruit for me is about the same as sweets, actually worse if its an apple. They are really simple sugars and you have to make sure your meal is loaded with protein to counteract. I keep a kids squeezable applesauce in all my bags/purses in case I get low and am out and need a quick up-have to make sure I get real food after. I also carry almonds with me and have tons of cheese sticks at work and home for these lows. I hope this helps!! I am feeling the same way as you! It stinks! You eat then crash 30' later regardless of food and its like, "what do I eat now?" Fortunately on low days I don't gain weight despite having to ck blood sugar and eat more frequently on those days. I usually ck it 5-8x day. (4-5 x on good days). Good luck!! U can PM me if u want to talk further on this.
  • katiegretel
    Options
    You need a glucometer to monitor and I recommend getting one soon if you can. Try to get insurance to pay for it. Strips are a fortune (for me at least). Keep a log. I started logging in the notes section here, but I just got a Telcare app. I log all my numbers and just the carbs there, but my food and exercise here. Lots of time planning foods, logging blood sugars and food, but its a necessary evil. Good luck!!
  • carolynjpotter
    carolynjpotter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 28 years ago. Falling asleep after every meal, fatigued, depressed, brain fog etc. When you eat carbs, the insulin rushes in and over-does its job. Solution: STOP EATING CARBS. Even complex carbs like whole wheat, or natural carbs like fruit and milk - just forget it. Don't give your body any excuse to turn on the insulin hose.

Insulin does not react to animal protein, natural fats, and leafy greens. (Rice and beans count as carbs to your pancreas.) You really don't need carbs to live. Also, have a little protein every two hours, before you go to bed and if you wake up at night. Eat like this and you will have energy, clear thinking, no weight gain, good bloodwork numbers, and no diabetes. All your problems will go away and you will stay young and healthy besides.