How to create an exercise addiction

Options
I was wondering, i know i have a lot of bad habits and addictions but how do you create a healthy addiction for example exercise?

I feel like I'm constantly forcing myself to even lift a finger when it comes to exercise and yet i know plenty of friends and family that do it on a daily basis at 5 oclock in the morning! When i ask them how they do it they say they either love it or feel the need to do it. So my question is am i just doomed and cursed to hate exercise for the rest of my life or can i train my body and mind into actually needing exercising?

It might be a silly question but i would love to have a healthier lifestyle but i have a horrible mentality and i don't know how to change it. :(

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You force yourself to do it until it becomes and addiction. When you are creating the exercise endorphins on a regular basis, you will not want to live with out them. Seriously, you have to exercise through the hate to find the love. It is not as easy as say a food, alcohol or drug addiction, but way more worth it in the long run. :)

I also found that exercising with a buddy also helps a great deal.

Good luck!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I get up out of bed M-F, get dressed and go to work for the next 9 hrs - not because I love it, but because the consequences of not doing that are more than I want to deal with. The same goes for paying my bills, cleaning my house and doing lots of other stuff that I don't really enjoy doing.

So, at first, working out and exercising was something I had to do because I could not longer bear the consequences of NOT exercising. When I began to realize the benefits of getting up early, lacing up my shoes and walking or going to the gym, it quit being a chore and became a positive choice I make for my health and fitness. Plus, I now feel pretty bad-*kitten* when I complete a good long hike or have a really good workout.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    You force yourself to do it until it becomes and addiction. When you are creating the exercise endorphins on a regular basis, you will not want to live with out them. Seriously, you have to exercise through the hate to find the love. It is not as easy as say a food, alcohol or drug addiction, but way more worth it in the long run. :)

Good luck!

this
    it's gonna be a struggle if your unmotivated..there is no getting through it. but if you can push through it...you'll tip the scale into an obsession
  • Chriztii
    Options
    Do i need to change up my exercise routine and do something different all the time or can i create a addiction or need by just walking or running everyday? Will that be enough to create those endorphins?

Right now i am not doing anything i have just come back to MFP and i want to start again, i used to do some running and gym classes. but only for a few months so i could never get over the hate for exercising i guess it must take years.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You are not doomed. I used to hate exercising as well. Start out small. Here's what I did: I knew I had to do some kind of physical activity to continue weight loss efforts so I made a commitment to go for a walk 3times per week for 5 minutes at a time. I forced myself to do it (that's how much I hated it). After two weeks I increase to ten minutes, trust me I was looking at my watch the whole time. I did that for about 4 weeks then I went to 30 minutes 5 times per week then everyday and within 4 months I was walking an hour at a time and doing group exercises at the gym. I became obsessed with it. That was 20 years ago and I have done some form of exercise every since then, weight lifting etc... It helps to try different things too, rollerblading, bicycling, etc...to keep it from getting boring. At the moment I'm obsessed, again, with pilates and yoga. I kinda like laying down while exercising. Good luck to you. You can do it.
  • handyrunner
    Options
    the other thing you can do is find something you like...maybe it's the Wii..maybe it's Zumba or swimming. exercise doesn't have to be a chore. find what you like
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm constantly forcing myself to even lift a finger when it comes to exercise and yet i know plenty of friends and family that do it on a daily basis at 5 oclock in the morning! When i ask them how they do it they say they either love it or feel the need to do it. So my question is am i just doomed and cursed to hate exercise for the rest of my life or can i train my body and mind into actually needing exercising?

Do you like washing dishes and doing laundry? Probably not.

Do you do it anyway? Probably yes.

Why? Because it's a job that needs doing.

Treat exercise the same way. Whether it's "fun" or not is only relevant for those taking it beyond basic fitness.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why does i have to be an addiction? addictions to anything are bad because they come from a place of not being able to cope with what ever your problems are and you are using the addiction as an escape.

i personally like working out, i do it every day but i'm not addicted : it's not the center of my world and my doing it never is in contradiction with common sense.

with that said, i'm a goal oriented person. i have monthly goals that i work towards and i so i enjoy working out to get closer to those goals. i also do things that i like doing and that i can see steady progress with
  • Chriztii
    Options
    You are not doomed. I used to hate exercising as well. Start out small. Here's what I did: I knew I had to do some kind of physical activity to continue weight loss efforts so I made a commitment to go for a walk 3times per week for 5 minutes at a time. I forced myself to do it (that's how much I hated it). After two weeks I increase to ten minutes, trust me I was looking at my watch the whole time. I did that for about 4 weeks then I went to 30 minutes 5 times per week then everyday and within 4 months I was walking an hour at a time and doing group exercises at the gym. I became obsessed with it. That was 20 years ago and I have done some form of exercise every since then, weight lifting etc... It helps to try different things too, rollerblading, bicycling, etc...to keep it from getting boring. At the moment I'm obsessed, again, with pilates and yoga. I kinda like laying down while exercising. Good luck to you. You can do it.

Thank you for giving me an idea of where to start, i always tend to throw myself in too deep and give up when it gets too hard. My mind convinces myself not to get up and not to go for a run. I think this time i will start a bit slower and make it become a part of my day.
    Do you like washing dishes and doing laundry? Probably not.

Do you do it anyway? Probably yes.

Why? Because it's a job that needs doing.

Treat exercise the same way. Whether it's "fun" or not is only relevant for those taking it beyond basic fitness.

I don't hate cleaning actually haha but my point to this thread was people i know who DON'T hate exercise and i asked how they managed that. I understand right now i don't like it and i have to do it anyway but i wondered if it could become something I actually looked forward to rather something i dread.
  • handyrunner
    Options
    it will!!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I've actually tried to do this. Well I wouldn't call it an addiction but I've done what I can to turn my life completely around. I've tried total immersion for a bit. When I started (again) a few months ago I realized that I needed to do something different so I started to exercise daily, log my calories but I also chose an exercise I think I would like and then swat up on it. I decided triathlon was the way to go so I just watched loads of videos on youtube and TV about it. I also watched TV programmes about general fitness and foodetc. I I started to learn to swim freestyle, I've brought a bike. Joined a Gym (and actually use it) :-)) I brought some running shoes and run - very slowly and short distances at first. I now exercise when I can. I live a busy life but I get up early a couple of times a week, get moving at dinner time at work, and have a couple of evenings where I can do exercise. . I also got involved with MFP, sought out people who know what they are talking about (rather than talking a lot and not knowing) and listen to what they say. I've entered a a couple of events - at a time that will be challenging but possible to achieve. Above all I worked out what I wanted to be like "when I arrived" and actually started to act like that now.

It is possible to change. I did it because I was so fed up with trying and trying again and failing. I finally worked out i needed to change me as much as temporarily what I eat

good luck
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't know if t is true or not but I was told once that if you do something consistently for 28 days it becomes a habit.

I'm not saying work out for 28 days with out a break but on your rest days you could possibly research new recipe ideas or other healthy activites
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Do i need to change up my exercise routine and do something different all the time or can i create a addiction or need by just walking or running everyday? Will that be enough to create those endorphins?

Right now i am not doing anything i have just come back to MFP and i want to start again, i used to do some running and gym classes. but only for a few months so i could never get over the hate for exercising i guess it must take years.
    How much it takes to create endorphins differs. I think most of us need to get into an elevated heart rate zone for more than 20 minutes. I think research also shows that should be a minimum you shoot for, say 5 days a week. You definitely can do it walking, just be brisk. And you can do the same thing daily or change it up.

For me, the endorphins alone aren't worth it. I have to find other reasons.

I think the people who love it are good at it and also have days they hate it but do it anyway. Also, people use "I love it" as a script. If you know it needs done, why not focus on the tiny things you love about it instead of the many other things you hate about it? They probably rarely love the act itself so much as they love the after-effects and benefits and beating personal goals and things like that.
  • Chriztii
    Options

How much it takes to create endorphins differs. I think most of us need to get into an elevated heart rate zone for more than 20 minutes. I think research also shows that should be a minimum you shoot for, say 5 days a week. You definitely can do it walking, just be brisk. And you can do the same thing daily or change it up.

For me, the endorphins alone aren't worth it. I have to find other reasons.

I think the people who love it are good at it and also have days they hate it but do it anyway. Also, people use "I love it" as a script. If you know it needs done, why not focus on the tiny things you love about it instead of the many other things you hate about it? They probably rarely love the act itself so much as they love the after-effects and benefits and beating personal goals and things like that.

Interesting, i guess i always just took their word for it and thought the grass was greener in their lives. I think walking is deffintly going to be the way to start this. I'm not exactly unfit, it's my mind that stops me from pushing myself/ doing exercise not really my body. I never enjoyed sports at school, so i haven't found any type of enjoyable active activity which makes it a bit harder.

I think i will start with a small goal and do as you say, focus on what i liked about it not what i hated. Thanks for the all the replies by the way it has given me a bit of motivation :)
  • HealthyCait
    Options
    Lesa_Sass nailed it on the head! I used to hate going to the gym too.. However, I also would do workout classes and couldn't wait for them to end! Then I started working out with a friend who taught me how to use weights and different exercises for different muscles... I realized I enjoyed lifting more than I did the "bootcamp" classes I was taking before... Once I understood how to workout I became more excited about it. However, it wasn't until I noticed my body changing that "the addiction" kicked in! Give it time though, it doesn't happen over night.

I would definitely suggest trying different ways of working out and bring a friend! You might just need to find a workout that you love!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Good luck!

QFT. It can take a very long time but is worth it!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    you really need to just make it a habit. i would suggest doing something like walking ..or if at a gym do something like play basketball and do hoops or go swimming .. try a few things and just be active a half hour a day if y ou can muster that up. eventually your body starts to crave more and that is when you start finding your way in to the exercise world
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Find something you genuinely love to do, that's the approach I took. I had to try several different things before I found my niche. These days I look forward to getting up at 4-5am to get my workout in (wow), this wasn't the case just a few months ago.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I think exercise is nothing more than a 4 letter word....
    But like lots of things in life sometimes I think it's something that you just kinda learn to like. I am not a fan of working out but there are some high points to it, it gives me some self respect and a feeling of accomplishment whether I'm as successful as the other people in the gym or not. But before you can get that feeling of accomplishment or a sense of pride you have to do it, I'm not afraid to say that I was profoundly nervous when I walked into the gym the first time. I was afraid of the same old things, are people going to stare at me and ask what am I doing here, or look at each other and roll their eyes etc etc etc, the reality is that no one gave a damn if I was there or not, nobody at this gym is chatty, hell I have a hard time getting a response from anyone if I say a polite hello.

What I have found that I like is when I'm tired, really tired and the muscles in my legs are burning and I think I have to stop I look around at the others in the gym and I know I'm just as good as they are and I wonder if they would stop if they felt like I do right now, so I find that extra 5 minutes or 1/2 mile or 10lbs or what ever I have to give myself to push just a little longer.
    I had/have to convince myself that exercise isn't something that I have to do to punish myself it's something I have to do to reward myself.
    Overthinking it is your worst enemy...
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    As other said you have to enjoy it and/or find the benefits too good to give up. I've done 12 marathons and maybe 100 races of other distances. One thing that was kind of an epiphany for me (many years ago) was the realization that I have to get past the first mile or so. That first 1-1.5 is still hard. I almost always want to stop. But I know once I am past that it;s not longer any big deal. That;s just me obviously

It also helps to have goals. years ago my goal was to hit some target for the year which meant an average of x per day. Beginning of the year I was out making sure I did not fall behind right way. After than, don't want to drop back. I don't have yearly goals anymore but I always have several races on the calendar. Gotta get ready so don't want to miss days. :)

I think you hit the nail on the head though: Think big start small. Do something you can stick with. When I first started getting into exercise 23 years ago (yikes!) I think I was doing maybe 6 miles a week at first. And I added. And added. And added