Is WINE a no no?

Options
Hi everyone
I love to have a couple of glasses of red wine (measured -- 4 ounces each!) on Fridays and Saturdays. Using MFP its easy, of course, to see the calorie content etc, but I have read that alcohol is just "empty" calories that should be avoided at all costs if one is trying to lose weight. How do the rest of you out there use/not use moderate alcohol consumption in your diet plan? Thank you!
Kristin

Replies

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. You will have no problem losing weight if you have a few glasses of wine here and there.

Drink up! :drinker:
  • mamacarmen1969
    Options
    RhineDHP, you have just made my Saturday night!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    They are "empty" in a sense, but if you are meeting your nutrition goals and have room, drink up!

Besides, research shows people who have a drink or two live longer :drinker:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Nothing is a no no if it fits into your calories. I have a glass of wine often (or beer, or a mixed drink) - just measure and log it.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an alcohol problem, then no. Make it fit your calories... Measure. Log. Enjoy.

And now I have an ad for wine.com on my computer. Thanks OP. Not srs.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I try to save enough for about 6oz of red wine. It's supposed to have other health benefits.. and it tastes good.

de6e010c-5951-445a-8091-bc0267aa14c6_zpsc37c9377.png
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    If wine and beer are nos then I don't want to live.
  • rickvw1970
    Options
    Agreed with others: just count the calories like any other. Don't deprave yourself from little joys but rather make it fit into your lifestyle. I drink beer, substituted sometimes with Miller 64 (yuck) but also heavy bodied Blue Moon and also love some wine now and then. I just make it work with my calorie budget and if I go over then I need to exercise to comp for the joy.
    Enjoy that wine. Hasn't stopped me from losing the weight.
  • rickvw1970
    Options
    I just saved MorgueBabe's life.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. You will have no problem losing weight if you have a few glasses of wine here and there.

I would argue that alcohol is the exception to the "calories are calories" rule- carbs and fat and protein all do things for your body- alcohol is 7 cal/g that actually does nothing for your body in a nutritional sense.

That said, there's no problem with saving a few calories on the weekends for a couple drinks you like- and wine even has some positive antioxidants, so it's ok.

UNLESS you can't stop drinking once you start or it causes you to binge eat or it leads to depression feelings the next day- then you should probably abstain.
  • rickvw1970
    Options
    And I can't type.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I started losing way before I found MFP - I have lost over 5st (70lbs), all the while enjoying Friday night beers (although I am more of a lightweight now).

I dont even log em.

So there.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wine a no no?

No, Never, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I would argue that alcohol is the exception to the "calories are calories" rule- carbs and fat and protein all do things for your body- alcohol is 7 cal/g that actually does nothing for your body in a nutritional sense.

That said, there's no problem with saving a few calories on the weekends for a couple drinks you like- and wine even has some positive antioxidants, so it's ok.

UNLESS you can't stop drinking once you start or it causes you to binge eat or it leads to depression feelings the next day- then you should probably abstain.
    I was under the impression that alcohol had carbohydrates in it, as the caloric value doesn't come from fats or proteins. Where do the calories come from, or is it your contention that carbohydrates do "nothing for your body in a nutritional sense"?

Also, as has been noted before, you don't get extra credit for exceeding your target numbers for nutrients. If you like the nutrient foods, great, but once you've hit your nutrition goals, there's no reason to skip the wine purely based on its nutritional value or lack thereof.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I drank wine/beer regularly while I was losing weight (66 pounds) and have continued to do so while maintaining my weight loss. I've found that it's pretty easy to drink moderately and eat healthily and get the results I want.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I drink so much wine. I'm losing steadily.

Cheers!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I was under the impression that alcohol had carbohydrates in it, as the caloric value doesn't come from fats or proteins. Where do the calories come from, or is it your contention that carbohydrates do "nothing for your body in a nutritional sense"?

Also, as has been noted before, you don't get extra credit for exceeding your target numbers for nutrients. If you like the nutrient foods, great, but once you've hit your nutrition goals, there's no reason to skip the wine purely based on its nutritional value or lack thereof.

Alcohol itself is a 4th macro- it has 7cal/g. Most alcoholic beverages also have carbs- like beer and wine have sugars- but plain vodka, for example, has no carbohydrates, fat, or protein but still has calories- the calories are from the alcohol itself. \

Alcohol is a form of a carbohydrate if you look at the chemical structure but it's not a carbohydrate in the way your body digests it, thus it's considered it's own separate macro.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have wine (or beer sometimes) just about every evening. Like the others, I just make sure it fits into my total calories for the day.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I follow a low carb eating plan and I have a glass of red wine almost each night.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    its not the best choice. I choose low calorie beer like bud select (99 calories per 12 ounce bottle) or I drink scotch and water (65 calories per shot).