Best exercise for obese?

Options
2»

Replies

• makeupfanatic
    makeupfanatic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've decided to join my local YMCA- it's only 35 and change for a student. :)
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    This is embarrassing to ask but I don't have a great right knee, and my back hurts- I want to get 30 mins in everyday, what should I do for exercise? Any advice welcome!

Walk or swim or do water aerobics. Even gentle stretches will help you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    walking. build up to those 30 minutes. get a cane if necessary.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've decided to join my local YMCA- it's only 35 and change for a student. :)

That's a great plan. Good for you!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good but if you don't swim too good then walking in water is great, takes the weight off your poor knee joint but the resistance will make you work that bit harder too. See if your local gym or health org has any exercise groups for seriously overweight as they are likely to be more suitable for when you are starting out. With the walking, dont try too much too soon, little but often will be far easier on your body and then as you get fitter you can increase distances then.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Whatever you will do that involves moving. I like walking so I walk. I also recommend trying different things, like swimming, or different exercise equipment.

God bless,
    Karen
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was obese and could barely walk because of Knee pain so Walking for me was out of the question … I started 1st few weeks with just watching the food I ate and I then gradually started with chair exercises …They are great and no pressure on your knees , Just google it ---Utube has many free videos to watch As of today I am down 50 lbs and can walk miles with ease , My knee no longer hurts when I walk.
  • rickvw1970
    Options
    I have a bad knee, weighed about 245 lbs at the beginning and got a ton of results from 3 things:

- WALK! I walked the dog 2x a day for about 50 minutes at a decent pace (wearing a calf and knee sleeve)
    - STAIRMASTER (NOT one of those ellipticals but rather the escalator type) Once a little lighter I did this for 30 minutes a day in the gym, intensity 5, without leaning on my arms.... Prepapre to break a sweat.
    - TREADMILL RUN ON INCLINE: Incline 4, not faster than comfortable and built it up.

Again, there is tons you can do but these 3 can be as intense or low impact as you want them to be and helped me greatly.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    This is embarrassing to ask but I don't have a great right knee, and my back hurts- I want to get 30 mins in everyday, what should I do for exercise? Any advice welcome!
    Any cardio that raises your heart rate and that you can sustain for 30 minutes and that you like.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eyleene
    eyleene Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I think you might be able to do upper body work a bit with / without light handweights , sitting in a good solid dining room type chair with feet flat on the floor , depending on how you back feels . even abs can be done this way just by holding you gut in and releasing for several repetitions but dont hold your breath . Swimming definitely best and you dont have to be able to swim properly either , so lon as you have flotation devices to hold you up . any sort of movement is better than nothing as you can still be working on muscle strength even if you cant get aerobic .
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    best exercise if your very fat is to start walking or swimming
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great because you can start off easy and choose your pace, plus it's easy on the joints :)

I agree this is a good idea and easy on your joints.

That being said the "best exercise" is almost always the exercise you enjoy the most.

Calorie burn is less important than consistency in the long run. It is easier to be consistent with an exercise you actually enjoy!
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    swimming, walking, anything combinding the two... statonary bike.... some weight lifting....
  • eyleene
    eyleene Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Why should you be embarrassed ?? did you hurt your knee or back on purpose so that you could make excuses ( like me ) not to exercixe
    I dont think so .
    For every problem there is always an answer somewhere
    DONT WORRY , YOU WILL SUCCEED !!!
    you go girl
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the above try Bicycling!

I had sciatica and could not walk a full block because of pain. But i could bike. At first i did not go so far... but I gradually worked my way up to do more and more.

Also... I can't say enough for water aerobics and swimming. I started water aerobics at my local recreation center. It was a bit funny as I was the only man, and I think the only one under 70 in the class I was taking. But i soon worked my way up to more difficult classes (with younger folk) and then started swimming on my own.