How to cook veggies

Options
What are your favorite veggies and how do you cook them? I'm looking for some brainstorming ideas for getting more vegetables into my diet!

Replies

• Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, steam with granulated garlic and salt.

Spinach - Great in SO many foods.. like omelets.. or just lightly cooked (steamed or on a skillet) with some salt and garlic. I mix it into rice (after the rice is cooked.. on my plate).. that's really good. Adds flavor for the rice and makes that side go further.

Green beans - I use no-calorie butter spray in a skillet... lots of granulated garlic, pepper, and salt. Sometimes a teaspoon of leftover bacon fat (add to MFP as lard).

Cabbage - Slice this and cook like the green beans ^

Stir fry.. full of vegetables! Season with fresh grated ginger (or powdered ginger in a pinch), sesame oil, soy sauce, and a little bacon fat if you've got some. Skillet cook your vegetables. We use bell peppers, fresh garlic cloves slices, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery.. not sure I can think of ones you wouldn't use in stir fry. With some meat and served on rice.

Beef barley soup filled up with vegetables (5.5 quart pot, 7oz beef, 8 bouillon cubes, 1/2 cup dry barley... 5 cups+ of vegetables)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Brussel's Sprouts - roasted w/olive oil
    Beets - roasted w/olive oil
    Broccoli - steamed or roasted
    Green Beens - sauteed
    Asparagus - sauteed or lightly roasted w/olive oil
    Peas - steamed
    Spinach - wilted or raw
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I just steam them. maybe a smidge of butter. I eat whatever- try to eat the rainbow and get veggies of all different colors for the best nutrition
  • angelabethb
    angelabethb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Zucchini noodles...no cooking

Pretty much anything roasted coated in olive oil, ghee or coconut oil, herbs and spices. Brussel sprouts are ridiculously good as is cauliflower. Root vegies roasted til they go caramely and crispy on the edges...

Salads with a huge variety of leaves and vegetables ...endless combos there!

Dips made with vegies are great - beetroot, capsicum, tomato/sundried, pumpkin, carrot make great blended dips, or chunky things like salsa or guacamole (although this is more fat from the avo, not so vegie)
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Squash,zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli and string beans roasted. I put them in a big bowl toss in olive oil, McCormicks perfect pinch veggie seasoning and about two heads of diced garlic...toss and roast..
    I also take eggplant cut into circles toss the same way and the last few minutes in the oven I top each slice with a little parmesan cheese..yummy..
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, asparagus, peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach and brussel sprouts: sauteed with olive oil, garlic and parsley.

Yams, Sweet and white potatoes: baked in the oven with rosemary, pepper and garlic
  • kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    We like to sauté sliced zucchini, yellow squash, and carrots in a pan with salt, pepper, and garlic.

As mentioned above, spinach is good wilted or raw in a salad. I've been making a lot of spinach salads lately - I put a combination of the same 4 ingredients on the top - grilled chicken, some kind of nuts (usually almonds or pecans), fruit (raspberries or strawberries or pears), and cheese. (feta or bleu cheese). Then a little bit of fat-free poppyseed dressing. Yum!

I'm trying hard to eat colorful veggies and stay away from corn (my favorite!) and potatoes.

I also love asparagus - sautéed or baked.