Couch 2 5k - 2 days later

Options

Replies

• jenny181111
    jenny181111 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    from running lol Crazy talk trying to run if you can't walk!!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. It is 5 minutes of walking, 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking, and repeat 8 times, until you have reached the 8 minutes of running. I only managed 2 1/2 minutes of running on my first session
    Slow down then. Way down.

Another alternative...this is another added week but I have seen this in some of the versions...is to do a 30 second run, and a 120 second walk and repeat 8 times. Then next week shift back up to the 60/90 seconds. Just a suggestion.

This!

It took me 20 weeks to complete the programme as I couldn't run more than once or twice a week as it killed my knees because I was so heavy. In between sessions I swam and used the elliptical (cross) trainer for cardio and do a weights session once a week. All helped increase my fitness so that the running was less difficult. I won't say easy because its not, its hard especially at first but its worth it. Stick with it but take your time.

Also a big part of running is in your head. If you think you can't do it, you won't. I made myself a deal that if I didn't complete a session I'd repeat it. 18mins into a 20min run that's a big incentive to drag myself through the last 2mins so as not to have to go through the agony of the 18mins again LOL.

Best of luck :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I meant I can barely walk today, not in general.
    That is what I thought...lol...

I stand by my original suggestions of slowing down and maybe bringing in that other week if you need it.

One other suggestion...come over to the C25K group...lots of support over there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi
    First of all well done for not giving up
    I agree with what's been said, make sure you can walk at a brisk pace for 30-45 minutes before you start on the program. Also depending on you ultimate goal you might warn to consider getting an app that has a distance plan (as well as a timed one).
    I can recommend RunDouble for that. it got me to the 5k I so badly wanted. Yes it took me 45 minutes but I did jog it all and have improved since. Their version starts with a timed run too but switches over to distance after week 3. The guy who's developed it has a Facebook page and is always open to questions etc
    Hepo this helps x
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Well no one said this is easy. Its going to suck. Time to buck up.

I actually did the program, twice. First time I did a slow pace. The second time I did it to help with speed work (up to week 5).

At this pong really just go slow, almost walking. Its 60 second intervals. If you don't get them all. Just repeat week 1.

I'm assuming your doing this on a treadmill too. Treadmills suck. Try to get outside, its so so much better. I can't even put it into words.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to stick to just walking until you get used to that and shed a few pounds. People have had great success with C25K, but you might not be ready to start it.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    best of luck and good for you! just 'liked' and sent you a message on your blog on fb :smile:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Join us over at

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

It's the most supportive place on MFP!

Most of the problems from running at the beginning/intermediate level can be solved by slowing down. WAY down. Slower than that.

You can run more slowly than you can walk. THAT'S the speed you should use to complete Day One. Good luck! And great job getting out there!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think even C25K is too much for someone who's truly been a couch potato. I was in the same boat and basically I started out just walking and getting my body used to moving for an extended period of time. I started out just walking 30 minutes 5 days per week and upped my time and distance over the course of 4-6 weeks to the point I was pretty much walking an hour per day 5-6 days per week. Once I was there I started back with the C25K and took it slow.

Gaining/re-gaining your fitness is a process and it takes awhile.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When I first did c25k, I was sore every day! It took me two weeks to complete week 1, and I had to repeat some of the days as I progressed. I didn't move on until I was able to complete the week's run comfortably. It took me a little longer to finish the program than I wanted, and I ran so slowly, but I did complete it! And I had never run for exercise before!

Now I am working toward getting faster, by starting the program from the beginning, just running my usual slow pace during the walking parts and moving faster through the running parts.

Be patient, you'll get this!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Screw all the suggestions OP.

Pop some Advil, do some stretching and get after it. You can slow down or take it easy when you are dead.

Going out sore right now might suck at first but your legs will loosen up after you push them to do so.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm going to reiterate what a couple other people have told you, and that's to slow down. When I first started my jog wasn't much faster than my walk - in fact a fast walker would have been passing me. I was so happy when those 60 seconds were over, and the last couple of running intervals were exhausting. This time you did 2-1/2 intervals - next time see if you can do 5. Then just walk the remainder of the intervals (you can alternate between a fast walk & a moderate walk).

Also make sure you have good, properly supportive running shoes. After I did my second run my shins & knees were sore, and I realized if I was going to expect my feet & legs to do all that work (I was 90 pounds overweight), I better treat them right. My "reward" for finishing the first week was Brooks running shoes.

Definitely join the C25K group on here that was referenced - I got so much helpful advice from people who had been through it before, and there's a daily check-in thread where you can talk about how it went, ask any questions you have, read about other people's successes and stories, and get some positive feedback for what you're doing.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Pop some Advil, do some stretching and get after it. You can slow down or take it easy when you are dead.

Going out sore right now might suck at first but your legs will loosen up after you push them to do so.

You, sir, are an *kitten*.

"MISTER RIPPED ABS SAYS PUSH YOURSELF UNTIL YOU BREAK SO YOU BETTER DO IT."

Having just gotten into running last year, then spent last fall nursing a failed achilles tendon, and this one with plantar fasciitis, I will wholeheartedly endorse the wusses suggesting you take it at your own pace.

Running's one of the harshest activities on your body, especially your knees and feet, and double-especially if you're overweight to begin with.

DO NOT INJURE YOURSELF. You'll be out of the game for weeks, if not months.
  • ElliottTN
    Options

Having just gotten into running last year, then spent last fall nursing a failed achilles tendon, and this one with plantar fasciitis, I will wholeheartedly endorse the wusses suggesting you take it at your own pace.

Running's one of the harshest activities on your body, especially your knees and feet, and double-especially if you're overweight to begin with.

Yes, by all means, I'm the *kitten* and you are the one who keeps hurting themselves running but insist on giving running advice. Makes total sense.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Yes, by all means, I'm the *kitten* and you are the one who keeps hurting themselves running but insist on giving running advice. Makes total sense.

So...then...question for you Elliot. You see some new weight lifter in the gym and it is obvious their weights are too heavy for the exercise they are doing. Do you tell them to suck it up and keep pushing the weight, or do you tell them to download a bit and work up to the weight?
  • ElliottTN
    Options

So...then...question for you Elliot. You see some new weight lifter in the gym and it is obvious their weights are too heavy for the exercise they are doing. Do you tell them to suck it up and keep pushing the weight, or do you tell them to download a bit and work up to the weight?

If someone has correct form and is not hitting their goal reps in the gym then they wouldn't have to ask. I see what you are trying to say though but it is a completely circumstance.

The issue OP is describing with the too sore to walk is obviously doms from telling her muscles to do something very very unfamiliar to her. Actually pushing through in this case will cause more blood circulation to all those sore muscles, carrying much needed nutrients, stretching those muscles back out helping her overall with recovery time, recovery pain, as well as making her mentally stronger. So much of the start is running is basic cardio health as well which she could still really benefit from even if she isn't going 100% physically.

Yeah, I know my original post comes off as "F the world, push until you die" but I actually have reasons behind it.

As for other people who make the "mister abs" crap jokes who feel it is necessary to attack physical appearance along with logic, screw you man. I used to be extremely obese and a big part of my work ten was cardio so I do actually know how it feels to not make it down a block ad feel like I'm gonna puke. You can make fun of my abs with my post all ya want, I earned them, so kiss my *kitten*.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Jenny, come on over and join us in the Couch To 5K group. It's supportive and gives good, solid advice and suggestions.

I will reiterate what many have said here: slow down. Then slow down some more. I barely shuffled along when I first started. The key is to go as slow as necessary in order to make it through the training session. If that means that you run slower than you walk (it can be done), then so be it. Speed doesn't matter at this point.

Come on over to the group for encouragement and support.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Lol. Did you copy this from the "bad advice for runners" thread?

Edited to add: runner for 1 year. No injuries. Completed a half marathon. Mostly by following the advice to slow down.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Don't too hard on yourself. There's nothing wrong with just walking for the first few weeks. Challenging yourself is good to a point, but not so much that you quit working out. The goal is to find the balance.

God bless,
    Karen
  • ElliottTN
    Options

Lol. Did you copy this from the "bad advice for runners" thread?

Edited to add: runner for 1 year. No injuries. Completed a half marathon. Mostly by following the advice to slow down.

That is impressive. Congratulations.