Swimming and hunger

Options
Anyone else find they're hungry when they swim? I love swimming - I swim @3 or 4 days a week, anywhere from 1200 to 2000 yards, depending on whether I've run beforehand or not. I usually try to run for 20 minutes and do the lower end of the swim because swimming makes me so hungry. However, I hate running and I'd much rather swim. Anyone else have the same issue and what do you do? I actually gained weight during the summer when all I did was swim.

BTW, would love some swimmer friends too. I'm late 40s female and I only started swimming at age 40. I only swim free and breast because I never learned fly and my backstroke is laughable.

Replies

• kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've been a swimmer since I was 13 (now 24) and am always always always hungry after I swim. I usually just eat a protein bar and a piece of fruit and drink some water and that holds me off til it's actually mealtime. Or I swim right before mealtime and just go to town lol.

Luckily, swimming has an amazing calorie burn. If I swim vigorously for an hour, it's about a 500 calorie burn. :)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Pool swimming doesn't make me feel hungry. It does increase thirst though - you don't realise you have been sweating all the time you have been swimming.

Swimming in open water does increase my appetite, but that is more to do with losing core heat. I found it a good low calorie thing to have a flask of homemade soup and a chunk of bread to eat straight after and hot tea or coffee to get the core warmth back up again. Otherwise I can find myself eating loads when what I really need is hot liquids.

edit: do you know if it was lean or fat weight you put on over your swimming year?
  • m0nster2
    m0nster2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yogicarl- it was fat weight. I didn't wasn't logging or paying attention to food... and no amount of swimming can make up for poor eating habits.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Recent blog item in the NYT: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/16/ask-well-benefits-of-swimming/?_r=0

Text:

In some ways, the health effects of swimming are similar to those of land-based aerobic activities, such as jogging, walking or bicycling, said Hirofumi Tanaka, the director of the Cardiovascular Aging Research Laboratory at the University of Texas at Austin. Like them, swimming is a “rhythmical aerobic exercise that you can maintain continuously” to improve cardiovascular and muscular health, he said. Experiments by Dr. Tanaka and others have found that swimming “is very effective at reducing blood pressure and improving vascular function,” just as walking and other land-based endurance exercises are.

The unique advantage of swimming is that it is done in water, which provides buoyancy and cooling, Dr. Tanaka said. “So the incidence of orthopedic injury as well as the rate of heat-related illnesses are both low,” he said.

But swimming has a notable drawback. “It seems to stimulate appetite,” Dr. Tanaka said, more so than do vigorous land-based exercises like running. As a result, swimming is not particularly effective at promoting weight loss or maintenance. In a 2005 study of exercise habits and body weight involving more than 15,000 adults ages 53 to 57, those who briskly walked, jogged or cycled gained little weight over the course of a decade. Those who swam tended to pack on pounds.

Still, “there is no doubt that swimming is a beneficial activity for other factors,” particularly cardiovascular health, Dr. Tanaka said. Just skip the celebratory cupcakes after your laps.
  • m0nster2
    m0nster2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, Cortelli. "Those who swam tended to pack on pounds. " Great!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I think it is largely to do with misreading the signals that body temperature is low rather than the body is hungry, so the tendency is to eat rather than drink a hot beverage or low calorie soup to bring up body temperature.

Could also be thirst signals being misread as hunger.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Drink water and have 1 peice of candy after swimming. Then I have a cappacino--no sugar, plus 1 piece of toast with jam(about 16g). Then another 2 glasses of water. Before swimming I have 1/2 of a small banana, 2 tbl Fage yogurt, 1 tsp raspberry jam, 2 mugs of earl grey with lemon--no sugar. I'm 59 and have been swimming 3-4 times a week for 18 years. This seems to hold me, and I've worked on the balance for years.
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've started pool swimming about three weeks ago after starting water aerobics last August. Believe it or not, I used to be on my high school swim team (200 lbs and 18 years ago!), but had just learned to swim at age 13.

Anyway, I noticed my weight has stayed the same since starting swimming (well, that's including the crazy holiday eating, so maybe this isn't the best time period to compare). I swim about the same distance as you (although the max I've swum so far has been 1750) about twice to three times a week and I do notice my appetite has been more. I love that hot soup and bread idea! Lately I've taken to packing a cup of Greek yogurt or a cup of protein shake for after to get a bit of protein after my workout and I'm usually okay. Although I just lowered my calorie count recently by another 50 calories to match my weight loss and boy, it's been a little tough staying under. But I'm not going to stop swimming! I just have to try not to eat everything not nailed down when I get home!!

ETA: Feel free to add me, a fellow swimmer!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, Cortelli. "Those who swam tended to pack on pounds. " Great!

Yeah, something to look forward too, eh? Not sure how much stock to put into that description of the study (and I haven't looked up the study). If it's true that swimming does tend to stimulate the appetite, I would also hazard the guess of YogiCarl -- that it is associated the reduced body temp. I know I certainly have an appetite after two morning scuba dives and I'm a decent enough diver and do easy enough dives that I am not really exerting myself! I don't do a lot of pool swimming, though.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    My personal experience mirrors the research, I notice this increased appetite with swimming, but I also notice it with heavy lifting or extended heavy loaded hiking. Intensity seems to be the key for me, and I find if I do weeks of just walking and shorter lifting sessions I tend to lose more reliably than weeks of more intense lifting, hiking or swimming workout sessions. I don't tend to notice much of any difference at all in muscle strength over weeks of either type of exercise, and a few weeks should not make much difference in muscular weight. It seems to all be down to appetite stimulation, and my diary reflects this.
  • MINIRunner
    MINIRunner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I swim 2 nights a week, for 75-90 minutes each time with a Masters/Triathlon group. , doing about 5KM worth of swimming a week. I could LITERALLY eat my arm off afterwards.

I have started to keep a couple of hard cooked eggs, or an egg and a turkey pepperette in my car for the drive home. That and lots of water during and after your swim. People think they don't need to rehydrate when they swim for some reason.

Now, if I could get my brain to shut off so I didn't lay in bed until 1:00 AM on the nights I swim!
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm always starving after swimming too. Great I'm not the only one.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I swim everyday (usually) and I do have to say I have an appetite burning afterwards, that's why I usually time my dinner for within an hour so after swimming. In evenings anyway.

If I swim in the morning, I have eggs for breakfast, I find that protein keeps me going longer, as opposed to cereal or oats.