Physio help please - hyper-mobility and injury recovery

Options
Hi,

I have recently found out I have hyper-mobility which means I need to strengthen up my joints to avoid further injury. One of my shoulders was partly dislocated doing pull-ups. My physiotherapist suggested I do some exercises focusing on the one shoulder before I can resume swimming. I also have a recurring knee problem from when I tore my ACL when I fell off rock climbing. I have been told in the past that my gluteal muscle atrophied and my quad muscle took over and was pulling my knee to the side. It's hurting now and when I do squats I can feel one side of my butt working harder.

I started the 30 day shred on Christmas Day and am managing to do the push-ups and squats. Will these exercises help my shoulder and knee pain or do I need to do individual exercises on these areas in addition to my workouts? I had 6 sessions with an NHS physiotherapist but these have now ended, hence why I am asking here.

Thanks to anyone that can help and takes the time to read this.

Replies

• Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I would check with your physiotherapist. I also have hypermobility and know there are many different forms and that very few people (including healthcare professionals) have much experience/education about some of the types. I know that everyone knows medical advice from strangers on a website isn't a good idea, but especially in this case I would be careful. Many things people suggest for me (yoga & aerobics instructors) don't work and/or can even cause more damage...
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/958-fabnflexible-hypermobility-syndrome

A great group to contact others with these kinds of issues.

I always welcome new "bendy friends"
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have recently found out I have hyper-mobility which means I need to strengthen up my joints to avoid further injury. One of my shoulders was partly dislocated doing pull-ups. My physiotherapist suggested I do some exercises focusing on the one shoulder before I can resume swimming. I also have a recurring knee problem from when I tore my ACL when I fell off rock climbing. I have been told in the past that my gluteal muscle atrophied and my quad muscle took over and was pulling my knee to the side. It's hurting now and when I do squats I can feel one side of my butt working harder.

I started the 30 day shred on Christmas Day and am managing to do the push-ups and squats. Will these exercises help my shoulder and knee pain or do I need to do individual exercises on these areas in addition to my workouts? I had 6 sessions with an NHS physiotherapist but these have now ended, hence why I am asking here.

Thanks to anyone that can help and takes the time to read this.

It's so different for everyone, but I'll tell you what I have to do in case that helps. I can't do very fast strength stuff, so any of those DVDs where you jump around with weights in hand are out. Jumping at odd angles is out itself, AAMOF. I do slow, heavy strength work (but heavy depends on your actual limitations!).

My tendons get so much tendonitis (or cause bursitis) that I also stick with mainly isolation strength work in my wonky joints. I have some compound moves that are OK, but the thing about the isolation work is that I can lay off a set of tendons for a week while still working what I can. If I relied on compound moves, I'd have to take off too much while resting one tendon or another :(

That's just me, though. You might be able to do much more without problems :) Or less! It's too hard to say.