How can I exercise when

Options
It seems like everything, including myself, is against me?

I'm 297 pounds. Just walking up and down the stairs twice in a row gets me winded.

I don't drive and have trouble leaving the house, so a gym membership is out.

It's bitterly and I do mean frigidly cold out. Walking outside is next to impossible.

I have anxiety and when I feel winded, I started to panic a bit and it makes it even harder to catch my breath.

It just seems so impossible to even try to start this long journey.

Replies

• Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You have Internet access. Find some basic workout videos on YouTube. Walk up and down your stairs. It's not frigid every day. Go out when it's above 20. If you dress warm ,you'll be fine.

If you start to get winded and panic, slow down, tke some deep,breaths. You recognize it as anxiety and you know you aren't going to die from it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Exercise makes it easier, b/c you get more calories to eat. But it's not required.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    youtube exercise videos can be a good place to start.
    Do you enjoy dancing? If yes turn on some music and do some dancing.
    I understand you get winded now, but just think, you will get slightly less winded, then better and better.
    When I started I also got super winded. Not an issue so much now.
    You can do this.
    Also maybe you can purchase some inexpensive barbells? strength training is great!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you want to exercise, maybe look up some resistance training that you can do at home, such as "convict conditioning"
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds will be great for you. You can find her 1,2,3,4 and 5-mile walks on youtube. Her DVDs are available at Walmart for 10 bucks.

Start with the 1-mile walk. I promise it will feel SO good. You can break it down and do .25 miles at a time so 4 times a day. Just walk at your own pace and before you know it, you will be losing pounds and walking more.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Curious about why you don't drive?
    Unless you live in Manhattan, its awfully limiting.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It seems like everything, including myself, is against me?

I'm 297 pounds. Just walking up and down the stairs twice in a row gets me winded.

I don't drive and have trouble leaving the house, so a gym membership is out.

It's bitterly and I do mean frigidly cold out. Walking outside is next to impossible.

I have anxiety and when I feel winded, I started to panic a bit and it makes it even harder to catch my breath.

It just seems so impossible to even try to start this long journey.
    Are those stairs that make you winded in your house? Walk up and down them. If twice gets you winded, but you can do it, then do it twice. Several times a day. When that gets less hard, make it three times in a row a few times a day. Then four. I started at 300 pounds. Walking hurt my back after just a few minutes. I got out of breath. Walking through the mall would wear me out. It's a year and a half later...I can run 2.5 miles. Or hike for 6+. You can do this.

Set small, realistic goals for yourself. "This week, I will walk up the stairs twice in a row, 3 times a day" when you set a small goal, and you reach it, it feels so good, and motivates you to try for a little more next time.

Also, as someone else said...weight loss happens by changing the way you eat. You don't even need to exercise at all to drop the pounds, especially at your weight. But...exercise will make you feel so much better. I promise
  • docsharon
    docsharon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Go walk in the shopping mall. Everyday go a little bit farther. Listening to audiobooks helps to distract and helps get your mind off your discomfort. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't give up.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I would start with 30 day shred & burn at least 200 calories. You can also start with home calisthenics.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Just start with your diet first and then once you get 10 pounds off your frame, shoot for the home DVD's or the gym. It should be easier then.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walk up and down the stairs in the morning, do the same in the afternoon... Do that every day... After 5 days walk up and down and up and down in the morning and again in the afternoon.... After 5 days increase it again.... Rome wasn't built in a day!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Sweetie the only thing that is against you is you.

Go to the success stories on this forum and spend some time browsing those. Look at the pictures and read their stories. There are some people on here that started exercising just by walking from one end of the room to the other, that is all they could do.

I second the advice given about diet. I bet you can lose quite a bit of weight just via diet over the next few months making it way easier to walk outside when the weather is nice.

I am 45 years old, it is never to late to get the body you want. But the journey of a thousand miles starts with single step.

Lesa
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    As long as you are moving more then you are doing great!! Walk up those stairs once and then relax, walk up those stairs again, then relax. Rinse and repeat. Throughout an entire day I bet you can get a lot of stairs done!!! Work with what you have. As someone else said you have the internet so look up some routines you can do. If you don't own weights you can start with cans of soup, bags of sugar, etc. Be creative :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Start out establishing a calorie deficit. You can add exercise when you get a little momentum going and start to feel more positive about the whole thing.
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Youtube is your friend. Google Zumba and dance to whatever feels good. You are making excuses that only you can overcome. Please don't be the girl who looks back next January wishing you would have started.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I would start with 30 day shred & burn at least 200 calories. You can also start with home calisthenics.

She's 300 pounds and gets winded going up a flight of stairs. Are you trying to kill her?
  • Iesia
    Iesia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to play games on the Wii, especially Just Dance (the just sweat program) and the Wii Fit Games, it makes me feel like I'm just having fun and not really working out. I get winded sometimes, it's okay to take a break, drink some water, just don't sit down, and definitely DON'T QUIT!! You have to find a reason to lose, a reason you really believe in, and that will get you the extra push when you need it. So "Let's Do This Thing!!" (Said in my Linguini voice from Ratatouille.)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    A good portion of it is diet.

Do a search for home exercises. There are some great ones you can do in a chair if you have to- just search chair exercises.

Stairs are great. Walk up and down the stairs twice...... then do it again in the evening. ..... then try for three after a week or so.....

Maybe try some of the walking exercises.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You make up your mind that you're going to do it no matter what, and you find a way that you can. You tube is great for exercise. You can do 30 Day Shred, Zumba and I'm sure plenty of other things without even leaving your house. The anxiety won't kill you, in fact exercising can actually raise adrenalin which will help you feel less anxious, if you can just relax or push through that panic if you get winded.

I've struggled with severe anxiety for years. I also used to weigh 329lbs and struggle to tie my own shoes. Getting winded walking up and down stairs? That was me. Now I weigh 213 and two days ago I ran 5k. So when I tell you that it can be done, it can be done. Yes, it takes a while, I've been losing weight for two years. You need to get your head in the right place, and stop being your own worst enemy. Start with food, and then add in bits of exercise when you can. But the time is going to pass anyway, you may as well be working towards your goal than sitting here in six months or a year wishing that you'd just kept going now. Nothing is impossible. :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible! You just need to work with what you have, and once you get going, start losing weight and improving your cardiovascular health, you'll be able to do more. There are walking DVDs that you can do, and if getting winded causes anxiety issues for you, just break up the time. You don't have to do it all at once, 5 min at a time is fine and really adds up over the course of a day. Losing weight really is all about diet, so you can lose weight without doing exercise. Exercise just burns calories so you can eat more…oh, and something about health (but I love food so it's all about eating more).