Dieting while sick.

Options
wheird
wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
I am bored and laying in bed, so I figured I would ask a question.

When you are sick, with either the flu or common cold, how should you handle your diet?

Barring nausea, should I continue shooting for my typical calorie and macro range? Should I reduce it because of my lack of appetite? Would any of this affect the duration and severity of the illness?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Calories don't count when sick. I read that somewhere once.
  • slgreene86
    Options
    That's stupid. Of course calories count when sick. Especially because you're sitting around in bed all day. I suggest that since you don't have much of an appetite, just eat what you can. Don't force yourself to eat, but do eat often since the fever may burn calories.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    That's stupid. Of course calories count when sick. Especially because you're sitting around in bed all day. I suggest that since you don't have much of an appetite, just eat what you can. Don't force yourself to eat, but do eat often since the fever may burn calories.
    stupid?
    nice.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Your sarcasm meter needs calibrated.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Perhaps make sure the foods you eat attain your daily needs of micronutrients, like vitamins A, B, C...etc, and important minerals, like calcium? My guess this will help build up your immunity or help combat virus/bacteria/infections, etc. Maybe taking multivitamin supplement would help too?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Well I've been told haven't I? Pardon me while I slink away in shame, having been caught saying something stupid.

Ahem.
  • wheird
    Options
    I took a vitamin C and zinc tablet earlier. And planning on soup and grilled cheese later. But my macros are screwed unless I get some major protein.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It most definitely doesn't matter anymore more than a bag of chips once in a while matters.

I've been off the routine for 3 months because of two pretty serious illnesses and an injury and my weight hasn't budged. I'm weaker and a bit softer, but recovery is too damn important to set myself further back.
  • wheird
    Options

Wow that was rude.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I am bored and laying in bed, so I figured I would ask a question.

When you are sick, with either the flu or common cold, how should you handle your diet?

Barring nausea, should I continue shooting for my typical calorie and macro range? Should I reduce it because of my lack of appetite? Would any of this affect the duration and severity of the illness?
    I was sick with the flue and fever Thursday through Saturday after Christmas. I was in bed a lot and sleeping on and off through out the day. However, since I had no stomach problems, I ate just normally, which kept me somewhat under my calorie goal two days and up to my calorie goal the third day. I had no weight gain problems.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I think she was kidding. :smile:
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you SHOULD do but when I'm sick and not feeling like eating I don't worry too much about my calories. I try to eat something to nurture my body but that isn't too heavy such as chicken soup and drink as much water as I can to stay hydrated. I have found that this keeps me from becoming too weak and feeling worse.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Calories don't count when sick. I read that somewhere once.
    I've heard that too. :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • emboslice94
    Options
    I typically try to eat as normally as possible if I can. But I also tend to eat bland foods regularly so that's not usually a problem. But definitely toss in some more fruit, they're higher in a lot of nutrients, so maybe ignore the sugar levels a little bit, but otherwise eating normally should be fine.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I took a vitamin C and zinc tablet earlier. And planning on soup and grilled cheese later. But my macros are screwed unless I get some major protein.
    Wait. Does said grilled cheese contain tomato?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I can understand wanting to stay in bed while sick and not grilling a huge honking steak for dinner. Perhaps something simple like scrambled eggs, which has the protein you are seeking, as it is easy to make and chew may help?

Hope you feel better soon. Take care.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Go with the feels when sick. Don't eat if you don't want it, eat more if you do.

Feel better soon!! :flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

You might want to rethink your post. Implying that people's ideas are 'stupid' is incredibly rude and not encouraged on MFP.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about macros as long as your calories are within your normal range, but fluids are very important!! Make sure to get extra fluids when you are sick as it can help you get better more quickly if you are well hydrated!!!

As for protein and macros, just go back to worrying more about that when you feel a little better!! (((((Hugs)))))) hope that is soon!!!!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it while you are sick. Eat what you can and what makes you feel better (or perhaps what doesn't make you sick).

Get your routine back when you are feeling better.