New Wardrobe ... New Me!

Options
cmw72
cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
I finally came to the realization this weekend that I pretty much had no clothes that fit me anymore. I had a drawer full of 46" jeans that were ridiculously huge on me (I was a 54" when I started), and a closet full of shirts ranging from 2x to 4x. I had some 42" jeans that I had purchased a few months ago, but those were starting to fall off me as well.

I work in an office ... and I've always been the guy that wears jeans to work because that's all I could find that fit me. Nobody ever gave me grief about it, it was just understood. Our loosely enforced dress code never seemed to apply to me, probably out of pity. At that size, people are just happy you're wearing clothes in the first place, I think.

Well, my wife talked me into going clothes shopping, and while I hate spending money on something as un-thrilling as clothes, I had to agree ... it was time. I purged my closet of all my non-fitting clothes. Anything with 3 or more X's went in the pile to go to Goodwill. It was a surprisingly large pile ... then again, they were surprisingly large shirts. Just think of all the xylophones that could have been spelled with all those wasted X's! It's tragic really. The 2X's should probably go as well, but I didn't want to leave myself with only a handful of shirts to my name.

So, instead of going to the gym Sunday night, we went to the local department store, where I tried on an endless parade of shirts and pants. Having always loathed clothes shopping as some cruel act of mental flagellation, I have to say ... this was highly enjoyable. There were so many options available to me. I didn't even have to shop in the Big & Tall section.

Since I was purchasing a new wardrobe anyways ... I decide to make the change to grown-up clothes. I wound up with a number of nice dress shirts (XL), and a few pairs of Dockers (40"). Even better ... I'm on the verge of Large shirts and a 38" waistline. I could have gone that route, but I wanted to be able to breathe!

I knew I'd take some flack from my coworkers for it, and I was right. Comments like "Are you trying to get the CEO's job?" That sort of thing. It's funny how you can be afraid to dress nice, because you know it's going to draw attention to you, which is something I've always tried to avoid (maybe it's just me). But it's been totally worth it. I'm walking around with an increased sense of self confidence these days. And nearly a week in, my coworkers are starting to adapt.

I went out to grab lunch yesterday and a nice attractive lady smiled at me ... It took me a second to realize that I didn't have to be ashamed, and I could smile back. :smile:

They say the clothes make the man ... they could be right.

Replies

• KPaden1221
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!!!! Clothes shoppnig is more enjoyable the smaller you get!

You inspire me to work even harder!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    FABULOUS I really like your story, congrats to you!
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    WOW! I love your comedic way of telling your tale :) Great work!
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    XYLOPHONES!!! hahahah... I'm literally cracking up!

Good for you!! It's nice to read about the "mental" transformation that comes along with the physical transformation. Sometimes I think our brains are behind our bodies!! (Hard for me to imagine with the long road I'm about to travel, but really....)

Thanks a bunch for sharing. I don't know what it would feel like to even be hit on or "smiled" at again.... Man...those were the days.
  • 1fitmama
    1fitmama Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! New and smaller clothes is such a great feeling!
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Awesome your a great inspiration thanks for sharing your story :~)
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring story!! Love the touch of humor. ;) I too am at the point where I need to go clothing shopping. I've been putting it off, for the reason you mentioned, it's never been enjoyable to me. However, most of my clothes are old, falling apart and/or just plain too big at this point. Soon. I will go clothes shopping. Like PoshTaush mentioned, this is as much a mental journey as a physical one. Congrats on your amazing progress! :)
  • jfarmer1118
    Options
    That is so great! Congratulations. That's the only thing that I don't really like about losing weight so far. It draws attention. I'm not a shy person by any stretch of the imagination, but it just feels strange. As you said, though...it's totally worth it! Thanks for sharing. :)

2773644.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • yescobosa
    Options
    Congratulations! Well earned!
  • JosephTucker
    Options
    That is awesome man, I got to start cleaning out my closet also. just now got down in a 46 from 48 to 52, maybe by January. Congrats again!!
  • serrinac
    Options
    Absolutely Awesome!!!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    There definitely is a mental component to all of this, and it makes me wonder about the future. This has been such a rewarding experience. Every other day it seems, I'm feeling the satisfaction of working towards and accomplishing my goals. But I am a little concerned about what happens when I actually realize my final goal. I'll have to find some new source of fulfillment.

Or do thin people just walk around all day marveling at how thin they are?

Thanks for the comments guys. :smile:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I knew I'd take some flack from my coworkers for it, and I was right. Comments like "Are you trying to get the CEO's job?" That sort of thing. It's funny how you can be afraid to dress nice, because you know it's going to draw attention to you, which is something I've always tried to avoid (maybe it's just me). But it's been totally worth it. I'm walking around with an increased sense of self confidence these days. And nearly a week in, my coworkers are starting to adapt.

I went out to grab lunch yesterday and a nice attractive lady smiled at me ... It took me a second to realize that I didn't have to be ashamed, and I could smile back. :smile:

They say the clothes make the man ... they could be right.

:) This is SO FREAKIN COOL! Love your story, love your progress, love YOU! Thanks for sharing. I bet you look (and feel) like a million bucks!
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats!
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Totally amazing! You are the same size as my husband...hubba hubba! :):flowerforyou:
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Thawas an amazing story! May we please have some before and after pictures,please?:bigsmile:
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that story! Congratulations to you! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ReadyMom
    Options
    Wow is all I can say! Thanks for sharing, this is exactly what I needed to read this morning! Enjoy all those new clothes!!
  • jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    That is FANTABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i like to make up my own fun words..... :bigsmile: )

:love: keep up the good work!
  • Carol_can_do_it
    Options
    Keep up the good work! I can't wait until I am able to buy a whole new wardrobe.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!