Beginner's kettlebell advice

Options
My current exercise routine is usually made up of Pilates, yoga, swimming, tabata/HIIT and the 30 Day Shred (starting level 2 day 1 on Monday). I've decided to add weight training to my this so I've been looking into body weight exercises such as You Are Your Own Gym and different types of weights. I do have university gym membership so I'm considering making use of the weight there, but I've been thinking of getting a kettlebell but I'm not sure what weight to go for - any recommendations?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'd start with a couple of sizes:
    a 10 # for exercises like turkish get up,
    a 15# for 1 armed exercises like KB snatches
    a 20 or 25# one for bigger movements like the swing
  • Notorious_Pig
    Notorious_Pig Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had some kettlebells for quite some time. You really need to go to wherever they sell them near you and pick up a couple of them up. In my opinion, due to the shape and size of a kettlebell the weight can be quite a suprise when you pick one up. You also have to try one to see which size grip you prefer which makes a big difference.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I started with an 18lb. and soon bought a 24. Swings are key and need a heavier bell.
  • valchemist
    Options
    same here... started at 18 pound but also now have a 26 pound for swings. be sure to get instruction on form from a personal trainer who knows what they are doing. or from knowledgeable trainers like sarah lurie or lauren brooks (DVDs). stay away from the Jillian video called shred it with weights (in which she demonstrates poor kettlebell form and dangerous moves).
  • midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Since I have gym membership, I'll probably ask one of the trainers there for instruction on how to use them then look into getting my own. I was thinking of starting with a 4kg or 6kg, but I think that I should get a feel for them first as I've not tried them before.
  • midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    same here... started at 18 pound but also now have a 26 pound for swings. be sure to get instruction on form from a personal trainer who knows what they are doing. or from knowledgeable trainers like sarah lurie or lauren brooks (DVDs). stay away from the Jillian video called shred it with weights (in which she demonstrates poor kettlebell form and dangerous moves).
    Forgot to quote :)
  • MINIRunner
    MINIRunner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Since I have gym membership, I'll probably ask one of the trainers there for instruction on how to use them then look into getting my own. I was thinking of starting with a 4kg or 6kg, but I think that I should get a feel for them first as I've not tried them before.

Ask a trainer that you see using KB with their clients, and doing them right. I am a trainer, and even some of my co-workers just don't pay enough attention to form, which is a HUGE peeve of mine. I don't want to contribute to any sort of injuries...

Forgo the light KB if you are buying some for home. They will end up being a doorstop in a few weeks time. Minimum weight would be 8K (16 or so pounds). That will do you for a little bit for swings, and a while for things like single arm work and TGU's.