Meeting My Calorie Goal

Options
So for the past few days I have been under my calorie goal by about 400 or so calories. I have learned that I should do my best to meet the goal as much as possible. But sometimes I feel so full, and I have an office job, my workout routine does not begin until the following week.

So what I want to know is, is what Im doing ok, should i maybe eat a snack after dinner?

And basically is the goal to NOT go OVER your goal?

I want any feedback.

Thank you

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Try to stay as close as you can.
    Sometimes a glass of milk or juice can do the trick.
    I was at that phase for a bit too - not any more! LOL.
    Good luck!
    Steph:flowerforyou:
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My daughter is having the same problem. I think, because you are both young, you can get away with eating more than we old ladies, and MFP recognizes that in how it figures you calorie goals. She did some research on this site, and found advice from the founders that you should eat close to your goal, or at least not eat more than 500 calories below it. So you are fine. As someone who (regrettably) has been overweight most of her life and has lost and gained weight a few more times than I would care to admit, you won't go into "starvation mode" unless you are constantly under something like 1,200 calories. And it isn't just a day or two--it's the pattern. So feel good about what you are doing. If you really WANT a snack, you can have it, but if you don't feel the need, by all means skip it. (Someday, God willing, you will also be old and not able to eat as much without gaining weight.)
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    well i looked at your diary and you are staying above 1200 which is great. i dont really see a problem with it. you will probably notice a little more weight loss. i often feel too full some days and consume only 1400. you should be fine as long as you eat when you are hungry and stay above 1200. keep up the great work
  • amandarusco
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am either way under or I go over. When I am under I treat myself to a snack size candy bar which is about 100 cal. or a Sonic junior candy sundae which is about 170 cal or so depending on the type of candy you get. This helps me get closer to my daily goal and it will satisfy my craving for sweets and it helps keep it in moderation. If you want something healthier to fill the calories try a bowl of fruit, or a banana with peanut butter.
  • katoka97
    katoka97 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was at that phase for about 2 weeks :)
    I think your body is adjusting to the change, water intake etc.
    Eat more often, snack, and eventually you will get there...
    I was so happy the first time I ate all of my 1200 cals. wanted to go over a bot just for fun :)
    good luck!
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For the few times that I am way under, I just eat some almonds or avocado. Both have a bunch of calories, but with great nutrition. I would suggest eating that instead of some chocolate bar that has no nutritional value.
  • dreamm
    dreamm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi I have followed many diets over the years only to now realise there is no quick fix.
    Made a few alterations in my diet, stayed become my Calorie count, however I found weight loss was increase with going over my Calorie count once of twice a week.
    Apparently this practice keeps the body guessing. If I want something, I have it but everything in moderation. It’s not dieting; it’s a change for life and works for me.
    I have on average 6 small meals per day. Eating better now than I ever have. Good luck and keep your body guessing.
  • pinky1988
    Options
    My daughter is having the same problem. I think, because you are both young, you can get away with eating more than we old ladies, and MFP recognizes that in how it figures you calorie goals. She did some research on this site, and found advice from the founders that you should eat close to your goal, or at least not eat more than 500 calories below it. So you are fine. As someone who (regrettably) has been overweight most of her life and has lost and gained weight a few more times than I would care to admit, you won't go into "starvation mode" unless you are constantly under something like 1,200 calories. And it isn't just a day or two--it's the pattern. So feel good about what you are doing. If you really WANT a snack, you can have it, but if you don't feel the need, by all means skip it. (Someday, God willing, you will also be old and not able to eat as much without gaining weight.)

Omg I can tell you are a mother, you know just what to say!! LOL ok so I dont feel bad I guess. Today I feel like snacking a little more than usual but I have already calculated my calories for the day and i dont think I will be over. So thank you much ;)
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Omg I can tell you are a mother, you know just what to say!! LOL ok so I dont feel bad I guess. Today I feel like snacking a little more than usual but I have already calculated my calories for the day and i dont think I will be over. So thank you much ;)

That's my mom! She's a great mom. :heart: I even called her last night when I thought I was going to be more than 500 over. I ended up wanting a snack later, so it was OK. I think my problem is that I'm really good at selecting filling foods that are low-cal. Like chicken or some other high protein food. Today, I planned my entire day in the morning, and then allowed myself to have some empty calories that my boss brought in to work (and put in my office.... ugh) because I knew I would be under.