Problems with Polar Heart Rate Monitor??

Options
2»

Replies

• TeamDale1
    Options
    I have had a Polar FT7 for four years and it works fine. I did have to replace the battery about 6 months ago. I use it almost every day.
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I
    I'm on my 3rd one, they keep breaking, and I follow the proper instructions to a "T"" It's very annoying to say the least!!

Ditto. 4 straps, 3 monitors, countless batteries, 1 watch and 2 bike units later, I tossed them and went to Bryton. I'd happily go to Garmin too.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've had several FT7's. Even with proper maintenance of the chest strap they wear out eventually. I guess you can only stinky sweat up the strap so many times before it resigns.

However, I recently replaced it again and the chest strap has been redesigned and no longer requires the same maintenance. It's a huge improvement.

In terms of price, there's a big delta between the FT4 and the FT7. And I'm guessing 90% of people wouldn't use the features that are specific to the FT7. Go with the FT4.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I've had several FT7's. Even with proper maintenance of the chest strap they wear out eventually. I guess you can only stinky sweat up the strap so many times before it resigns.

However, I recently replaced it again and the chest strap has been redesigned and no longer requires the same maintenance. It's a huge improvement.

In terms of price, there's a big delta between the FT4 and the FT7. And I'm guessing 90% of people wouldn't use the features that are specific to the FT7. Go with the FT4.

I have ordered a soft strap off the internet for my Polar FT4, it was dispatched today so hopefully, I will get that within the next couple of days.
  • roseeerickson
    roseeerickson Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have heard Polar heart rate monitors (FT4 & FT7) are the best. But has anyone run into problems with them suddenly not working correctly after just a few months? I want to buy one but I read some negative reviews on Amazon that make me hesitant. Any opinions?

UPDATE: I ended up purchasing the FT4 and LOVE it. It's been almost two years now and it's still going strong. I've only had to replace the battery once -- which was SUPER easy to do at home. I know the FT4 isn't as fancy as some of the other models but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who just wants to track the calories burned during their workouts.
  • PXMike
    PXMike Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I bought a new FT80 last year and recently the battery needed to be changed for the first time. Since that battery change, I can only get, at the most, about three days out of a battery. I have looked everywhere for help, even attempted to contact Polar, but have received non. I spoke a trainer at Golds out in Venice Beach last month and he told me I did not want his opinion of Polar's products. Earlier last year, just before I bought the Polar, I bought one of the new Motorola MotoACTIV's. That was a monumental and very expensive mistake. The thing went south on me just after a couple months! So, like yourself, I am currently trying to find out is there is such an animal as a good heart rate monitor.
  • tedscanoe
    tedscanoe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a new RS100. On a few occasions when jogging it has jumped from 145 to 175 in an instant. Scared the hell out of me the first time I saw 175. About 20 seconds after I stopped it would drop down to 135 in an instant as well. Just to make sure my heart wasn't acting up, I put my old FT1 on the other wrist. Through 2 of the RS100 jumps, the FT1 did not show anything unusual happening. Therefore the RS100 not my heart. I got peed off the next time the RS100 jumped so I just gave it one heck of a slap. Enough that my wrist said "dumb move - that hurt". Anyway the problem has not come back. BTW, my old FT1 has been running for about 5 years now without a hiccup.

As far as the calories burned is concerned, I think that the RS100 is way way off. When I do my 25 minute Podcast run/walk the Polar says 440 calories burned. No way! It's more 200 calories burned as I jog, I can't run at any speed for any distance.

FWIW,
    cheers Ted
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I bout my FT4 almost 3 years ago, works very well. The only thing is i changed the battery couple of weeks ago, because my watch completely turned off. Other than that i love it, it's pretty accurate, i need it during HIIT exercises.
  • nikchan
    nikchan Posts: 3
    Options
    I purchased my polar fit FT4 about 7 months ago....I hate to say I didn't read the instructions completely and didn't know I had to wash my strap. It has now just stopped working...When I turn it on to use it all it will do is beep, and there is no message that says I need to replace a battery or anything. Is it possible that I could wash it and it start working again or will I need to get a new strap?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I purchased my polar fit FT4 about 7 months ago....I hate to say I didn't read the instructions completely and didn't know I had to wash my strap. It has now just stopped working...When I turn it on to use it all it will do is beep, and there is no message that says I need to replace a battery or anything. Is it possible that I could wash it and it start working again or will I need to get a new strap?

When you say it beeps, does it say check heart rate transmitter or anything? The watch should be able to detect that it can't receive a signal from the strap. I suspect your battery in the watch could be conking out

That said, washing the strap takes only a few minutes. In fact for what you're trying to do I'd probably just rinse it under a lot of water pressure and give it a shot (wet). If you have something with very soft brushes, you may wish to also clean the contacts between the strap and transmitter that clip together. Build up could also get on those if they're not cleaned from time to time. Finally the transmitter also has a battery that could be a maintenance item from time to time
  • nikchan
    Options
    No ma'am it doesn't say anything. It will show start & looks like it is searching for my heart rate & then beeps. If it was the battery wouldn't I get a message to that the battery is running low?
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I purchased mine on Amazon. It worked for a year until it needed a new battery. I went to the Batteries Plus store next to my house, got a new battery, and it's been working fine every since (about another year now). I love my FT4.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    No ma'am it doesn't say anything. It will show start & looks like it is searching for my heart rate & then beeps. If it was the battery wouldn't I get a message to that the battery is running low?

I wash my strap about once a week, by itself, on a gentle cycle, without any detergent. You may also need to wet your strap much more before trying to locate your HR with the watch. If that doesn't work, then the battery in the transmitter may be dead (the piece that attaches to the strap). Mine died, and it did not give me any warning. It just stopped finding my HR.

ALSO, make sure you detach the transmitter from the strap every time you take it off. Leaving it on drains the battery from the transmitter much faster.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    My FT4 is over 2 years old, gets used 10-12 hours a week, and other than replacing the battery once, it works like new.

Proper maintanence is key, like most things in our lives.
  • nikchan
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice...I will try washing it and go from there. I know I messed up by not following the proper steps in keeping it maintained. I just hope that it hasn't ruin it for good.
  • eterwey
    eterwey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did all the things that Melody and B suggested. It helped a little, but my monitor was still wonky. What worked for me was opening the monitor and wiping off the contacts with a lint free cloth wetted with alcohol.