Can you 'make' hips in the gym?

Options
I am very obviously wider at my thighs than my hips. And yes I have the dreaded 'hip dip'.

Can you build up hips through exercise? Or if you don't have it genetically is it just not achievable?

Before and after pictures of any success stories would be amazing!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    From your pic, I have no idea what you're talking about! Do you mean like saddlebags on the sides of your legs?

It may be a case if losing fat, or building your bum...with heavy leg work.
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Noooope I mean... well exactly as I said. haha

This is the closest I can explain it:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m06h38surW1qfeqoxo1_500.png

...But less hips. I'm mostly 'dip'. haha Can you fill out the hip area with muscle?
  • bellzie7
    bellzie7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Noooope I mean... well exactly as I said. haha

This is the closest I can explain it:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m06h38surW1qfeqoxo1_500.png

...But less hips. I'm mostly 'dip'. haha Can you fill out the hip area with muscle?

Ha! I have that... always figure it's my body shape and you can't change structure.

Going Commando or spanx helps in dresses to make the line smoother.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have that! I hate it!
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have that also! I just figured once my love handles start to shrink it will fade out!
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    It's hard to say, but if working your quads and glutes isn't what you are looking for then I would suggest trying exercises which isolate your hip abductor muscles to try to build them up.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to sound offensive, but I think from your drawing that's more muffin top/love handle than thigh issue!

Losing fat, and doing resistance work focusing on your legs and glutes will help give you a curvier shape :)
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ^^ Mmmm no it's not. That's not fat, it's just there's an indent between the bones. I didn't have such a dip when I was 10kg heavier. :\ But yes that's why I want to fix it, it looks bizarre and makes you look chunky. So gotta fill the hole fat left with muscle if it's possible!
  • annalicous
    annalicous Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you can create hips. Usually it's genetic or it runs in the family. Your body is beautiful though, hips or no hips.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You can always change your body a good bit by adding muscle where you feel you need it, as long as there is a muscle there to build on. You will need to eat if you want to get bigger and train the correct muscles.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too. For me it's because my shoulders are broad, so although I have 98cm around my hips, they look smaller, and I like them wide :) I think hip abductions are the answer, besides squats and deadlifts!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You might try building the gluteus medius. If you look at ballet dancers at the spot you are talking about, you'll see that theirs is kind of beefy :) I think that's from all the focus on gluteus medius compared to just maximus in the moves in ballet.

Mine's all muscle there (and sticks out nicely), and I do both ballet work and weighted clamshells. My medius is probably better developed that my maximus :( But I'm working on that!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Side lunges. Instructions are on Youtube.

Don't expect dramatic results, because the muscles there are thin and don't have much capacity for hypertrophy (growth) in most people.

You'll get the best results from following a full-body strength program. That will improve the rest of your body, which will draw attention away from the parts you perceive as inadequate. A popular lifting program is NROLFW.
  • transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1lz49SpHQ1qeu3jjo1_r1_500.jpg
    What are hip dips and why you should stop caring about them. (Source: http://size10plz.tumblr.com)
    Lately on my dash I’ve been seeing posts about hip dips, and anonymous questions on how to prevent hip dips or how much they hate theirs.
    I just want to let you know that it’s normal. The celebrities or girls in your thinspo tags that you see that don’t have it either are wearing spanx, they’re photo shopped, or you just plain don’t see it.
    I have never met any one that didn’t have one. It’s part of our anatomy, and on some is more noticeable than others. It all depends on your body type, muscle, and fat distribution.
    Most children in north america have heard this song in pre-school and kinder garden, but for most it’s been a while so I thought I’d give you a refresher course.
    With the leg bone connected to the knee bone,
    and the knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
    and the thigh bone connected to the hip bone.
    tumblr_m1m0m8MIkd1qdhsxp.gif

That is exactly what a “hip dip” is. It’s because the femur attaches to the acetabulum which is made up of all three hip bones: the ilium, ischium, and pubis.
    You get a hip dip from being born with a skeleton.
    tumblr_m1m3ns6ssr1qdhsxp.gif
    Those celebrities/thinspo girls that you look up to and think, “oh I wish I didn’t have a hip dip. They are so lucky they don’t have one.” Hate to break it to ya (not really), but they have it too.
    tumblr_m1m3skQOtL1qdhsxp.png
    Hey look it’s Miley cyrus, Beyonce, and Kelly brook. They all have one!
    Oh wait, I have more! All in their unphotoshopped glory! :D
    tumblr_m1m50bCsyu1qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m69yZLcx1qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m50zTNn41qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m521fpCw1qdhsxp.png
    Even ryan gosling has one.
    tumblr_m1m3wu2mIm1qdhsxp.png
    Everyone has one, but sometimes it’s not as noticeable. Men and women have it, but it’s more noticable on women because our hips are generally wider. Like I said earlier it’s really about fat, and muscle distribution. Some women have it more noticeable, some don’t, but it doesn’t mean it’s not there. I know I have it, and I have never met anyone who is like “ew your hip dip is so gross.”
    Remember the picture with Britney spears vs Photoshop? Even she has one.
    tumblr_m1m5eeuA9g1qdhsxp.jpg
    We have to Remember that we live in a world where spanx is readily available to smooth out our lumps and insecurities to common folk and celebrities alike. Along with photoshop to take away “imperfections” on celebrities so we can feel ****ty about ourselves. All while we read magazines or see adverts with conflicting messages like “you’re beautiful” and an advert for make up right or weight loss tips next to it.
    You’re in trouble when you want to stop looking human. Seriously guy and gals, everyone has one as long as you keep your skeleton.
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    seems to be a common problem.personally i dont mind mine to much atm but that might change when i loose weight lol
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I always thought that everyone had one.

Every time I come here I learn about something else I need to be self conscious about :laugh:
  • neelyohhara
    neelyohhara Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1lz49SpHQ1qeu3jjo1_r1_500.jpg
    What are hip dips and why you should stop caring about them. (Source: http://size10plz.tumblr.com)
    Lately on my dash I’ve been seeing posts about hip dips, and anonymous questions on how to prevent hip dips or how much they hate theirs.
    I just want to let you know that it’s normal. The celebrities or girls in your thinspo tags that you see that don’t have it either are wearing spanx, they’re photo shopped, or you just plain don’t see it.
    I have never met any one that didn’t have one. It’s part of our anatomy, and on some is more noticeable than others. It all depends on your body type, muscle, and fat distribution.
    Most children in north america have heard this song in pre-school and kinder garden, but for most it’s been a while so I thought I’d give you a refresher course.
    With the leg bone connected to the knee bone,
    and the knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
    and the thigh bone connected to the hip bone.
    tumblr_m1m0m8MIkd1qdhsxp.gif

That is exactly what a “hip dip” is. It’s because the femur attaches to the acetabulum which is made up of all three hip bones: the ilium, ischium, and pubis.
    You get a hip dip from being born with a skeleton.
    tumblr_m1m3ns6ssr1qdhsxp.gif
    Those celebrities/thinspo girls that you look up to and think, “oh I wish I didn’t have a hip dip. They are so lucky they don’t have one.” Hate to break it to ya (not really), but they have it too.
    tumblr_m1m3skQOtL1qdhsxp.png
    Hey look it’s Miley cyrus, Beyonce, and Kelly brook. They all have one!
    Oh wait, I have more! All in their unphotoshopped glory! :D
    tumblr_m1m50bCsyu1qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m69yZLcx1qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m50zTNn41qdhsxp.png
    tumblr_m1m521fpCw1qdhsxp.png
    Even ryan gosling has one.
    tumblr_m1m3wu2mIm1qdhsxp.png
    Everyone has one, but sometimes it’s not as noticeable. Men and women have it, but it’s more noticable on women because our hips are generally wider. Like I said earlier it’s really about fat, and muscle distribution. Some women have it more noticeable, some don’t, but it doesn’t mean it’s not there. I know I have it, and I have never met anyone who is like “ew your hip dip is so gross.”
    Remember the picture with Britney spears vs Photoshop? Even she has one.
    tumblr_m1m5eeuA9g1qdhsxp.jpg
    We have to Remember that we live in a world where spanx is readily available to smooth out our lumps and insecurities to common folk and celebrities alike. Along with photoshop to take away “imperfections” on celebrities so we can feel ****ty about ourselves. All while we read magazines or see adverts with conflicting messages like “you’re beautiful” and an advert for make up right or weight loss tips next to it.
    You’re in trouble when you want to stop looking human. Seriously guy and gals, everyone has one as long as you keep your skeleton.

:flowerforyou: great reply!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hip dip?

*sighs *

Never heard of it, and I'm 1000% certain that this is some made up nonsense that can easily be explained away by genetics or anatomy (oh look, it already has) but if this is going to turn into a picture thread, it has my full and complete support.

So IN for pictures of hip dip success! Multiple angles please do that we can better view your "progress"
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I like a good dip.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I put my hand upon your hip
    When I dip you dip we dip
    You put your hand upon my hip
    When you dip I dip we dip
    I put my hand upon your hip