One poor eating day - weight went up 3 pounds!

Options
2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Water weight can take a few days to go back down. That doesn't mean you lost all your progress.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Its water weight, it'll go down in a couple days. I just got rid of the X-mas water weight.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    Why is it that one poor day caused me to gain 3 pounds, but I can go a whole week of very controlled eating and only lose a pound?
    The other day I made some poor decisions because I went to someone's house and we had a multi-course meal that lasted 4 hours. The next day I woke up and weighed 3 extra pounds!? How is this possible?

duh. it's possible because you ate 12,000 calories yesterday!

or if you didn't eat 12,000 calories, then it's because you are retaining some water.

but most likely it's because you ate 12,000 calories. that's equivalent to 34 large slices of pepperoni pizza. that's how much you ate, right? because that's totally possible for an evening meal.

:tongue:
    yum... sounds okay to me haha
  • makingamiracle
    makingamiracle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Could be poop (food still being digested). Also, if the meal truly lasted four hours, could be water retention due to muscle repair from lifting the arm and hand to the mouth repeatedly over a four hour period.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Exercise, ovulation, time of the month, sodium etc will all cause water retention, all of which are temporary, and all of which you will see frequently. Sure it sucks to see on the scale, but after a while you'll start noticing the pattern and you'll be able to identify it on the scale, "Oh, my period is due in 2 days, and I'm up 1.5 lbs, so that's what that is" or "man that fettuccine alfredo was so awesome last night, but it must have had a ton of sodium to make the scale go up this much"... and etc. I think you get my point :)
  • ExtremePhobia
    Options
    Could be water weight from excess sodium intake?

Almost certainly this. Generally, bad foods tend to also be loaded with sodium causing high water retention.

One gallon of water is about 8.5 lbs (on average since). If you drink 8 cups of water in a day then that's over four pounds alone, not counting water taken in by anything you drank for pleasure (even soda counts) and consumed in foods (even bread or potatoes have water in it, let alone meats, cheeses and things cooked in sauces).

Also, when you eat more processed foods, they tend to take longer to get through your system and you retain more of it for a longer period.

Tomorrow, you'll probably lose a pound and then another 1.5 over the next 3-4 days as your body recovers to its normal state. By the end of the week, you'll notice a weight gain appropriate to how much you over ate by or likely a weight loss since you are probably eating a much larger deficit per week (probably -3500 calories) than you did in that one day surplus.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight from excess sodium intake?

Almost certainly this. Generally, bad foods tend to also be loaded with sodium causing high water retention.

One gallon of water is about 8.5 lbs (on average since). If you drink 8 cups of water in a day then that's over four pounds alone, not counting water taken in by anything you drank for pleasure (even soda counts) and consumed in foods (even bread or potatoes have water in it, let alone meats, cheeses and things cooked in sauces).

Also, when you eat more processed foods, they tend to take longer to get through your system and you retain more of it for a longer period.

Tomorrow, you'll probably lose a pound and then another 1.5 over the next 3-4 days as your body recovers to its normal state. By the end of the week, you'll notice a weight gain appropriate to how much you over ate by or likely a weight loss since you are probably eating a much larger deficit per week (probably -3500 calories) than you did in that one day surplus.
    Heh... *bad* food! Go sit in the corner!

I think it's more accurate to say that high-sodium foods tend to be loaded with sodium. But then I'm not into food shaming either, so... :indifferent: