how much coffee is too much

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Seriously, though, I love coffee but don't do a lot of caffeine, so I have a cup of regular in the AM, then have multiple cups of decaf throughout the day. Probably a total of 48 oz or so (guess based on the number of "cups" the coffee maker lists, assuming each one is 6 oz).

Decaf is the DEBIL! :angry:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much coffee! On a slow day I drink 2 pots of coffee.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I generally have a cup in hand from about 6:30 a.m. and off and on until around 4:00 p.m.

I stop when the shakes start.
  • Determined82
    Determined82 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I drink 5 cups per day, sometimes more! It's the only beverage I like to drink! LOL
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If your getting the right nutrition and exercise. You don't need it. Your energy levels should be through the roof. Pure water.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If your getting the right nutrition and exercise. You don't need it. Your energy levels should be through the roof. Pure water.

lol

Never mind that its been proven to enhance endurance athletes? It's very likely the most used performance enhancing drug in history. But please, go on.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

lol

Never mind that its been proven to enhance endurance athletes? It's very likely the most used performance enhancing drug in history. But please, go on.

Yes it has been proven time and time again!

I love my coffee! It's an odd day if I've only had one cup! I don't drink it for the energy- I just love it! 3 cups to a full pot depending on the day!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

lol

This! Plus I drink coffee because it tastes good and I enjoy it, I have plenty of energy and can continue getting healthy in an enjoyable way :)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

...Ugh, please. You must not be a coffee drinker. BOOO! Booo to your face! And go get me some more coffee!
  • LesBrock
    LesBrock Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Need a coffee now after reading all the replies :drinker:
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I honestly KNOW I drink way too much coffee....but eh, no biggie. if you aren't adding tons of calories into your coffee you're fine, and if you do, make sure those calories fit into your daily calorie goal.

otherwise, I say, enjoy :)

This, I use splenda & non dairy creamer and it has barely any calories. As long as it's not affecting your stomach or sleep its ok IMO
    Also I read in Mens Health that caffeine actually helps with muscle contraction during workouts, SCIENCE:wink:
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Too much coffee is never enough. :wink: Truth.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

lol

Yes it has been proven time and time again!

I love my coffee! It's an odd day if I've only had one cup! I don't drink it for the energy- I just love it! 3 cups to a full pot depending on the day!
    They can have my coffee when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    XCMOZ5sFJxshnbW.png
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    untitled.png
  • mmyers1129
    mmyers1129 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yerba Mate were do u get that at?
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Increased consumption -> decreased type 2 diabetes
    cut and pasted from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19727658
    Abstract
    AIMS/HYPOTHESIS: The aim of this study was to examine the association of consumption of coffee and tea, separately and in total, with risk of type 2 diabetes and which factors mediate these relations.

METHODS: This research was conducted as part of the Dutch Contribution to the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition, which involves a prospective cohort of 40,011 participants with a mean follow-up of 10 years. A validated food-frequency questionnaire was used to assess coffee and tea consumption and other lifestyle and dietary factors. The main outcome was verified incidence of type 2 diabetes. Blood pressure, caffeine, magnesium and potassium were examined as possible mediating factors.

RESULTS: During follow-up, 918 incident cases of type 2 diabetes were documented. After adjustment for potential confounders, coffee and tea consumption were both inversely associated with type 2 diabetes, with hazard ratios of 0.77 (95% CI 0.63-0.95) for 4.1-6.0 cups of coffee per day (p for trend = 0.033) and 0.63 (95% CI: 0.47-0.86) for >5.0 cups of tea per day (p for trend = 0.002). Total daily consumption of at least three cups of coffee and/or tea reduced the risk of type 2 diabetes by approximately 42%. Adjusting for blood pressure, magnesium, potassium and caffeine did not attenuate the associations.

CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION: Drinking coffee or tea is associated with a lowered risk of type 2 diabetes, which cannot be explained by magnesium, potassium, caffeine or blood pressure effects. Total consumption of at least three cups of coffee or tea per day may lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Jack James, the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Caffeine Research, says that overdose for adults requires roughly 10 grams of caffeine. (People typically ingest just 1 to 2 mg/kg of caffeine per beverage.) A 2005 Forensic Science International article on two fatal caffeine overdoses in New Mexico pegs the figure closer to about 5 grams--an amount that would still require drinking more than 6 gallons of McDonald's coffee. Whereas a normal cup of coffee might bring the concentration of caffeine in your plasma to 2.5 to 7 mg/L, the two people who died in New Mexico--a woman who might've used caffeine to cut intravenous drugs, and a man whose family said he ingested a bottle of sleeping pills--both had concentrations 100 times higher
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    for me 8-16 oz of coffee is ok but if I drink 20+ I annoy the living crap out of every person I come into contact with. I am a very hyper and high-energy person and I can be a morning person...so I try to stick with that 8-10 oz and no more ;-)

I do feel a bit jittery too, if I consume more coffee than normal. But mostly I just feel myself being really annoying!
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Frankly, I don't worry about it. I love coffee.

Though I try to taper off during the afternoon (though I've never actually found that I've reached the point of having trouble sleeping due to coffee. Tazo "Awake" Tea, however, proves that there can truth in advertising. That stuff once actually caused me to get the shakes.) I guess that's sort of the answer for me. It's too much when it reaches the point of keeping you awake or causing the jitters. How much that will be is likely a combo of what coffee you're drinking, how much you're drinking, and how sensitive you are to caffeine.