Getting in shape and self esteem

Options
WhiskyMania
WhiskyMania Posts: 27 Member
Has your self esteem risen since you got fit, lost weight and all that jazz.

Mine is at an all time low, regale me with postive stories of making you feel better about you :D

Replies

• MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Mine has definitely done a 360 and your confidence also will go up. I still have a fight to stay focused but it's getting better
  • leigh4244
    Options
    Mine has' I feel a lot happier in myself.
    I've lost 6 stone on my own, and it's hard work at times when all you want to is stuff your face! But when your clothes get smaller, it pays off :)
    Just keep at it :)
    There's a few pictures of me 2 years ago on my profile if you want to see
    I definite feel a lot better now... And not so out of breath haha!! Xx
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I always thought of myself as lazy. But logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly is hard work. I did it every day for a year, and lost 20 lbs.

I learned if I try hard enough (and don't give up), I can change my life.
  • WhiskyMania
    Options
    Mine has' I feel a lot happier in myself.
    I've lost 6 stone on my own, and it's hard work at times when all you want to is stuff your face! But when your clothes get smaller, it pays off :)
    Just keep at it :)
    There's a few pictures of me 2 years ago on my profile if you want to see
    I definite feel a lot better now... And not so out of breath haha!! Xx

Wow, six stone, that's amazing. I have 2 to lose and it feels so much when I think about it, but I'm hoping the feeling better/shrinkage will help. Thanks xx
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've always been an arrogant mofo. Now I have a reason to be an arrogant mofo. BONUS POINTS!
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've always been the overly confident fat girl... So now I am still confident, but have more outfits to choose from.
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    YES
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Mine is at an all time low, regale me with postive stories of making you feel better about you :D

I read this so often on the forum. I think it is wrong to link one's sense of worth to weight loss or weight gain. Those are variables that can change so often in life for a multitude of reasons.

Cultivate your self-esteem based on factors that are more constant such as having a talent for something, or being a good listener, or a great daughter/parent/friend. These are things that will stay with you for much, much longer than weight loss or muscle gain or a number on a scale.

I hope I don't come across as being harsh. I do understand what you mean. My concern stems from the fact that too many people allow themselves to feel good only if they've lost weight or gained muscle. Feel good regardless. Be happy regardless. Live a great life regardless. That's healthy self-esteem. Hold yourself to a high worth just because you are you.

Peace.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    YES!!
    I have so much more body confidence now. And a mental wellbeing that comes from exercise. I sleep better, so I feel better. My SAD has been nowhere near as severe as previous years.
  • WhiskyMania
    Options

I read this so often on the forum. I think it is wrong to link one's sense of worth to weight loss or weight gain. Those are variables that can change so often in life for a multitude of reasons.

Cultivate your self-esteem based on factors that are more constant such as having a talent for something, or being a good listener, or a great daughter/parent/friend. These are things that will stay with you for much, much longer than weight loss or muscle gain or a number on a scale.

I hope I don't come across as being harsh. I do understand what you mean. My concern stems from the fact that too many people allow themselves to feel good only if they've lost weight or gained muscle. Feel good regardless. Be happy regardless. Live a great life regardless. That's healthy self-esteem. Hold yourself to a high worth just because you are you.

Peace.

I don't think you sound harsh and I totally get where you're coming from.

I need to feel good about how I look because I feel like a total munter and I just can't get past it. My ex cheated with a woman who was in much better shape than me and I cannot get it out my head. I just crave feeling better, is all.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    You could get to being half your size, fall in love with a cool, awesome guy, and still get cheated on. Then what? Look at all the good looking celebrities who get cheated on. They seem to have everything yet *kitten* happens.

Feel good about who you are today. That will make your weight loss journey a more successful one. Delaying happiness is counter-productive and tying your valuable self to a body size is asking for for trouble.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Hells Yeah!!!!

But it's not JUST from the weight loss. For me a lot of it has to do with believing in myself....believing in my body. Knowing that today I can do more than I did yesterday. Setting performance goals that I never ever though I would reach. Knowing that I am making good decision for my health and my overall well being. Weight loss isn't JUST about the number on the scale. There really is so much more to it.
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well said! There is something about setting a goal and seeing it through that it great for building confidence. And no matter how much we try to tell ourselves not to place our confidence in our looks, I think it's incredibly difficult not to. Especially when we (women, but arguably this is true to an extent for men, also) are valued so much for our looks!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Hells Yeah!!!!

But it's not JUST from the weight loss. For me a lot of it has to do with believing in myself....believing in my body. Knowing that today I can do more than I did yesterday. Setting performance goals that I never ever though I would reach. Knowing that I am making good decision for my health and my overall well being. Weight loss isn't JUST about the number on the scale. There really is so much more to it.
    :heart: like:heart:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    My self esteem has always been healthy, so I haven't noticed a huge difference. I do feel better in general.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Accomplishment breeds confidence. Not just here and not just with health goals. Do what you know you need to do for you in all aspects of your life and reap the rewards.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Yes. Even at my heaviest and most out of shape I wouldn't say I had low self esteem, but I wasn't exactly confident about my physique. Now I am for the most part, and it feels great not to feel insecure at the gym or pool or beach etc.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I have never been super confident or thought of myself as sexy. Not before my weight gain, at my heaviest, and not now down some pounds.

I'm good with me. Working out makes me feel better. Happier. But that's always been the case. For me, working out helps me clear my mind of almost all stress. I think when you feel good, you put off a certain vibe. I don't know though. And working out did give me enough confidence this past summer to wear a bikini for the first time since having four kids.
  • joandue
    joandue Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have more self confidence now that I attribute to weight loss. In general though, weight loss has given the ability to do things that I was afraid to do because of the weight. I wouldn't walk with friends because it was too hard... I hated doing anything, flying because I had to have seat belt extension. Sitting in chairs at restaurants with arms because I couldn't fit. The confidence that I know I can do those things now has given me more confidence to try other things again.
  • citizenpioneer
    citizenpioneer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth. Sometimes I wonder if it's good for my self esteem to be tied to my weight, other times I'm mostly just proud of the accomplishments: eating well, exercising, being able to do some things without getting tired or out of breath and yes, ultimately losing pounds.